Cheap but good AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by NoahG, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I like the looks of what the 444 does. I'm definitely going to have to sell a lens soon... and find a second bathroom in this tiny appartment. Looks like Sat is gonna be cheap AS hunting day. Just wish there were some better brick and mortar barber supply stores to find the masters and such in.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Do you have a Sally Beauty supply? I got a bottle of Master's Bay Rum there. The Master's is alright, probably more moisturizing then the Superior 70. I do like the S70 better though.

3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

You can get Superior 70 at any Walgreens. Since it is stocked in Latin markets, most store managers will order it from another store for you for no shipping charge. My local Walgreen manager has ordered it twice for me, each time he called me when it was in. I think I paid 2.25 for it. That is a good A/S, cheap, and convenient too.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

Yeah, that's where I found the masters i have, i was pretty disappointed by the selection, as all there was was the masters and pinaud clubman with jerris w/oil being clearanced out. Hopefully this isn't the end of their meager men's selection.

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Except for the Masters BR I also got at Sally's, all others have come from online stores like Appleton Barber, Atlanta Barber, Williamsport Barber, West Coast, etc. I try to accumulate orders of other things needed, then add on a barber-scent A/S or 2 to benefit from the shipping. I have gone in with a buddy a couple of times on orders too, which helps.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I would have to say Appleton's is best for cheap aftershave. Good prices, fast, well packed delivery. If you buy $50 of stuff, shipping is $5.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'll second most of the posts to this thread as I have or have used nearly all of what's been mentioned. Also try your local organic or whole foods grocers. Most of them have a shave aisle where you can sometimes find AS. I got a bottle of Mens Stock--North Woods at a Sprouts a few years back. Really like it. Nice pine, forest scent. Doesn't last long but refreshing while it does. About $10. You can usually find Thayers WH at these locations too.

8. NoahG

NoahG Member

I got off work a little early, so I scooped up the adidas and the original aqua velva, din't really like the musk too much tho. the gillette smelled good too, but I figure I gotta leave something for next time ;) I plan on slowly acquiring the rest of the masters/stephans/booster as I go, but if I make one more internet purchase this week, my loving girlfriend will probably kill me :( ...unless I can find something for her too!!::angelic004

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Masters Lilac Vegetol is one of my favorite shaving products period-even compared to some pricey ones. If you like Menthol (I've been accused of liking it too much:eek:) Alcolado Glacial and Osage Rub are very nice, inexpensive, and as cold as it gets.

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Hard to go wrong with AV! :happy088

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Masters Blue is a darn decent menthol too, much like AV Blue. My coldest app is using TSD M-bomb in my preshave oil, then post shave putting Osage down followed by Masters Blue-result is an errrrrrr that lasts!! Others have praised Masters Lilac V in the past. I may try that one next.

12. NoahG

NoahG Member

I've got some M Bomb on order, so I'll be able to find out how much I like super menthol then and I'll be using the AV Blue for my next shave... don't know when that's gonna be tho, I tried out the Parker SR1 again yesterday and it left me looking like I used a Badger brush... as in an angry badger tied to a stick :ashamed001

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

WHAT???????????????????????????????? :eek: :eek:

14. NoahG

NoahG Member

and next time I'm in a Walgreen's, I'll def. be ordering up some superior 70!

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

TSD ASM!

Florida Water!

Brut!

Masters are good too. I like Focus.

Booster Mosswood!

16. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

SOLD-gotta try it

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yes. I paid $2.09 for 350 ml.

It is a very light Bay scent without all the spices often found in other AS Bay Rums. It does have 65% alchohol content, but I really don't notice much of a burn. They also make a menthol version, but I haven't tried that one. If you can find it locally, it is definitely worth checking out.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

No, this stuff is not here. :(

19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1. The Barbasol Pacific Rush is nice too. The Barbasol line goes for a little over $1 a bottle at my local Dollar Store.

20. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Here in jacksonville florida I can get both menthol and regular superior for $1.90 + tax for the big 24.5 fluid oz ( 750 ml ) bottles