Cheap but good AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by NoahG, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I also ordered the menthol version from Walgreens. It is similar to Osage Rub (not quite as cold), but decent for $2. I ordered several and made Christmas Stocking stuffers out of them.

2. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever go to the KIOSKs in the mall

that sell the knockoffs of the high priced scents (like Polo, Lauren, etc)?

I am not even sure if these are considered cheap or not since I haven't tried them. I suspect they have alot more alcohol in them and generally fewer and cheaper ingredients.

Just wondering if anyone has any favorites among them.

3. Jorocom

Jorocom New Member

For the price, Superior 70 is a steal.

4. geneaut

geneaut Member

My suggestions:

* Humphrey's Witch Hazel ( in a variety of scents if you are so inclined)
    * Canoe AS ( I found a giant 8oz bottle for $8 at Big Lots ... and it had menthol in it ... the great Canoe scent in an AS splash with a menthol tingle)
    * home made ... witch hazel + aloe vera gel + whatever scent you like
    * Heritage Rosewater + Glycerine spray.
    * Master's Lilac Vegetol ( great to follow up Humphrey's Lilac Witch Hazel )

and the Mac Daddy of cheap AS

* Vi-Jon's Old Spice clones available in a variety of stores starting under $2.

5. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Cheap but good. Hmm. Where do I begin?

Old Spice
    Aquavelva
    Skin Bracer (but only the blue one, I don't like the green)
    English Leather
    Brut
    Stetson (the Stetson COOL is awesome, has the good cooling sensation!)
    AVON has some reasonably cheap stuff
    Pinaud Clubman (the virgin island bay rum kinda stinks. Smells clovey, but you can also smell the benzine. No thanx! The other scents are alright...except the veg......ugh, but that may be your thing, to each their own.

DO NOT get Gillette Aftershaves. They leave a film on your face that makes it feel funky, like you have a layer of sludge on your face, & I mean the splash aftershaves. They are lousy!

6. NoahG

NoahG Member

Check my Den link and you'll see I've embraced the cheap and good, the top shelf is almost all AS! There's far more than actually listed, as I only have so much of an attention span to list them all!

7. Hex

Hex Member

A Walgreens Arctic Blue.

I got this on a whim based upon a thread I saw somewhere that said it would be similar to Floid Blue. Well based upon SWMBO's smeller, it is, and it saved me a lot of $$$. I think I paid $3.50 for it.

What a find, so thanks to someone.

8. Tforc

Tforc Member

i feel ya

looking at getting super 70 bay rum and wallgreens is going to give me a call. i like the japan gel my bro gave me and would like to find others like it. I just dont like grease.
    B

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

I'll be heading to walgreens later this week to try and order the Superior 70, so while I'm there I'll have to see if they have any of the Flauxid:D

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I wish I could find that in my area but it's never turned up. Someone swapped me a 1/2 bottle; it's my #2 favorite BR...subtle, unobtrusive, good.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I use a knockoff brand I picked up at walmart. It's from Belcam. They produce a wide range of knockoffs. I have no idea of how well they stack up next to the originals. For approx. $8 a pop, you get a good supply of decent smelling cologne. Scent doesn't last as long as I'd like but it smells good.

I'm using their knockoff of Polo Black at present and I like it.

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Aqua Velva with a few drops of an essential oil blend of geranium, tea tree, lemon, lavender, peppermint and clove bud. It's very moisturizing and it has a great and unique scent. :cool:

13. NoahG

NoahG Member

that sounds pretty good! complicated, but good.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mennen Skin Bracer has always been a favorite of mine. It smells nice and has that fantastic menthol punch that I love so much.

15. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I’ll second the nomination for Aqua Velva Musk.

Some say it smells too sweet, and it wasn’t love at first sniff for me either; it took a little getting used to at first. Now it’s my main go-to aftershave and I love the fact that glycerin is one of the ingredients. I still have about a dozen glass bottles of the Musk! The price is cheap but the quality is top notch.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The vendor Shaveabuck, he's a member here Gman , has it for $4 a bottle. He is quite a good vendor.

None of the Walgreen's in my area has it . What I was told was to simply go to any Walgreens and have the store manager order it site to store.

17. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

It's not as complicated as you might think. I bought the EO blend already made so all I had to was add the Aqua Velva. :)

18. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

I love Clubman and of course AV

19. Geordon

Geordon New Member

If you're looking for an AS that has witch hazel, you might like to check out the Ogallala Bay Rum line. MUCH less burn that Pinaud Bay Rum, somewhat lighter scent and interesting variations. I'm partial to the Bay Rum LIme and PEppercorns as well as Sage and Cedar.

20. NoahG

NoahG Member

Finally got my hands on the Superior 70 bay rum and I have to say that I love it! Somehow the burn works with it and just adds to the rich spicy warmth of the scent. Got the last bottle they had in stock but I at least now know where to get it.