Choices, choices, choices….

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Oct 15, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Now that I've just gotten a green light from my orthopedic surgeon to resume my 'regular' activities on a gradual basis, I began sorting though my collection of scale materials and naked, scale-less blades.
    I already have four razors in-progress that were interrupted by my surgery two weeks ago, but I like to plan out some of the upcoming projects in advance.

Three razors I look forward to restoring are these:
    • a vintage George Wostenholm & Sons 7/8 square point (although the front edge is more oblique)
    • An old Turner & Co. 'Suffolk Works' Sheffield 7/8, Barber's Notch
    • A really old Wade & Butcher 8/8 wedge, square point —a heavy hunk of steel…

Some of the scale materials I am considering are picture below. Horn is a 'natural' fit for most of these old razors and I prefer to use them rather than the G10 or resins/acrylics. I have a block of macassar ebony that would make for some hard (dense!) and strikingly-figured scales. I'm also intrigued by the translucent honey horn, which looks elegant when shaped and handled properly. The dark horns are the safest direction to take: classic, sets off the blade and fittings nicely; plus they are more traditional for the purists out there. I'm not likely to use the zebra wood on these — too different—as I am already using it on two others (see set of zebra scales in pic).

I would like to hear some of your comments on these materials (or others) and your thoughts on restoring some of these oldies. Always open to suggestion. :)

[​IMG]

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

The honey horn looks tempting to me!

Should I PM my address? :D

(just kiddin)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too like the Honey Horn but the Zebra is also outstanding

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I too like the honey.
    but not for the one with the barber's notch, it calls for simplicity, black horn for the notch.
    just my impression.

5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Black buff horn with the wedge would be very classic looking,ebony with the wostenholm pipe and honey horn with the Turner Sheffield would be very beautiful shaver

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Wostenholm 7/8- Black Buffalo Horn
    Turner Sheffield 7/8- Honey Horn
    Wade & Butcher 8/8 Wedge- Bleached Bone or Ivory

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good feedback, guys! I appreciate it!

As I mentioned above, I'm keeping some of the exotic wood materials for other more 'modern' (20th century) razors...;)
    [​IMG]

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Zebra wood does not mind what era of product it is mixed with. old or new. ;)

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Go Honey Horn on the Sheffield.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

OK, how about a PIF? :angelic007:

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I like the Zebra wood, but also like the buffalo horn.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's dramatic looking, no doubt, and its great stuff to work with...
    [​IMG]
    ..but I think I'd want to stick with more traditional on that old trio in the first post.
    I am planning on using more of the zebra wood on this razor—by request—for my cousin…
    [​IMG]

13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I immediately pictured the Sheffield with the Black Buffalo Horn.

GDCarrington and HolyRollah like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's how the black buffalo horn looks as scales (shown on an earlier W&B)
    [​IMG]

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Have a pic of the macassar ebony as a finished scale? I initially imagined that paired with your W&B 8/8 wedge.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I, myself, have not used the macassar ebony (see the thick blank of it in the initial pic), but most M.E. has a distinct figure to it. A very dense wood... I do have a guitar made from it! :D
    Here's an example of the figure of M.E. shown in someone else's scales...
    [​IMG]

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So here's what I decided to do: stay conservative and keep a traditional vibe to these old blades...
    honey horn— the Wade & Butcher wedge
    black buffalo horn (far right in photo)— the Turner with the barber's notch (classic)
    black buffalo horn with white feathering (top middle in photo)—the Wostenholm

Scale shapes:
    For the Turner & Co scales, I was able to use the existing (but broken) scales as a template.
    For the Wostenholm. I chose a 'squared-off' design that can found on some of the old Wostenholms:
    [​IMG]
    For the Wade & Butcher were, I chose the W&B simple design used in many of their 'Keen Shaver' models, but fattened it a bit to accommodate the larger blade:
    [​IMG]

Rough Cuts on the Band saw
    Here is the Turner & Co rough-cut scales, and the Wostenholm is on deck to be trimmed out.
    [​IMG]

All 3 trimmed out. The next step is to sand these rough outlines until they follow the template lines. Once that is finished, the scales will be thinned and the edges chamfered.
    [​IMG]

Concurrently, I'm applying a CA finish to another set of zebra wood scales…
    [​IMG]

Slow Joe likes this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

so what do you do glue the scale material together then trace them out,put on the band saw cut and trim? never made scales quite interesting.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I take scale material that is book matched, apply a strip of dbl stick tape between the pieces so they're snug. Trace (or freehand) or glue a paper template onto the surface; trim close with the bandsaw. finish on the belt sander.

20. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Honey horn! I was just drooling over that stuff last night. I picked up a Wade & Butcher "Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor" with cracked BakeLite scales. It's definitely a keeper and the shape of the etched spine is calling for something more interesting than black horn. Plus, I've got two with dark horn scales already...gotta change it up. You made great choices for that trio. Can't wait to see them finished.