Cigar/Pipe Smoking 101

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Lyrt, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Hmm, Igloodor... Basically, isn't it like a wine cellar?

Edit : hmmm, so I need a cooler, a hygrometer and propylene glycol.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yes.....
    a tobaccy cellar.

Alls I use is a soap dish with florists "oasis" (wet styrofoam)
    The hygrometer for me is a waste of time.
    I live in a desert so humidity isnt much of an issue and in the Igloordor a little moisture goes a loooong way.
    Make sure to open it up about 1x a week for air to circulate and use ONLY distilled water with the foam.
    You get mold in yo baccy and its "game over".

3. herzi

herzi Active Member

4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Dude, I'm sick, don't show stuff like that. Now I have to try it.

Attached Files:

5. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

Yep, I got a try it too.

6. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

1.) I like the author shape- it's a deep bend, and I don't have to worry about tobacco juices rolling down the stem and into my mouth, as I do if I get careless with a straight pipe. The author bend is also easier on my teeth due to the angle it assumes when I'm smoking 'hands free'. It's very handy to have a self-standing pipe that will sit upright on it's own. My next pipe will be a self-standing Sherlock Holmes bend.
    2.) Base it on the food and beer you like. If you like strong flavors, get strong flavored tobacco. Take this idea with you to the tobacco shop and talk it over with the tobacconist. I'd go for human interaction here. At an actual tobacco shop, you 'll be able to stick your nose in a lot of pipe tobacco jars. Most smoke shops let you have a pipeful (bowl) for free, so you can try before you buy. Most places will also sell you quantities of an ounce, or ounce-and-a-half, etc. so your committment is managed. You can even have the tobacconist mix a custom blend of whatever he's got in the store.
    3.) tamper (large head nail in a pinch) butune lighter or bunch of matches and place to strike, pipe cleaners. Let the sulfer burn off the match before you light the pipe- prevent negative flavor transfer
    4.) Again, I'd do this in the tobacco store for the first time. There's usually other smokers hanging around who can help with this, too, there's a million ways. Even packing the pipe varies a lot, got to be tight enough to support combustion, but must be an agreable draw (to you) This is NOT my strong suit.
    5.) Definitely not at first. But after you've been smoking a lot, it can add to the expereince. I now smoke a lot more cigars than pipes, and I don't inhale either. (I will inhale a cigarette, though.) But in the past I have inhaled pipe smoke, and I've enjoyed it. You're going to have to ease into it if you decide to do it. And healthwise, inhaling is much worse than not inhaling.

good luck. If you thought shave brushes were expensive, wait till you start pricing pipes... I would say ballpark a price of about $45 for your first pipe. You can get something that will manage heat properly, last a long time, and not negatively affect the smoke. Don't start this adventure in Walgreens or a supermarket. Hit a real tobacco shop.

7. MD11

MD11 New Member

you ain't kidding.. I just picked up a Dunhill Christmas 2004 pipe (12 lords of leaping) for the "discounted" price of $700! But man is it a sweet pipe!

8. MD11

MD11 New Member

As a follow up, the Christmas pipe came in today!

[​IMG]

9. rick

MD11

Nice

::

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hey MD11, nice pipes!!!!

11. VetsJetsnGuns

man, I gotta start flying a bigger airplane...

that whole set up is sweet. Who made the lighter?

12. MD11

MD11 New Member

The lighter is S.T. DuPont.. my favorite brand from France :eek: .

13. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I love my ST Dupont. I have a black laquer and paladium one. Definately one of those investments that will last you a lifetime.

14. rick

Dupont is for playahs only

I'm so jealous........

Any of youse guys have a Corona Old Boy lighter.
    .....more in my price range and I hear very good things about them.

I will NEVER....EVER..... buy another Colibri or Prometheus product again.
    PERIOD. :mad:
    They are junk.

15. VetsJetsnGuns

I have a colibri CEO and I love it. I just wish it would light when I wanted it to... I agree; colibri has serious issues in thier plumbing. I have two of them that have great features, except for the lighter itself. NOT dependable

16. msandoval858

I have a Corona Old Boy. The brushed finish one with the pipe shapes on it. It's lit every pipe I've smoked for the past 7 years and still works as well as the day I bought it. The finish is a bit messed up from being in my pocket, briefcase, pipe case, etc, but that doesn't effect the performance one bit.

17. MD11

MD11 New Member

I used to have a Corona and lost in while I was in the service. I also owned a couple of Calibri but I think they're all now made in China or something so the quality is WAY down.

18. msandoval858

Colibri certainly deserves the reputation they have. The only ones that are even close to decent are the flint models. When I was in the tobacco business we had some many returns on defective Colibri lighters that we ultimately wound up boxing up the entire inventory and sending it back. 2 out of 3 were coming back, it was that bad.

Prometheus were a little better, but not by much.

19. I have two Old Boys A matte black and the other pewter with pipe designs. They are go to pipe lighters. I use a gold ill Corona Double Corona for my cigars and works flawless every time. I still lust for S.T. Dupont.

20. michaelskar

michaelskar New Member

Not to rehash a previously discussed topic, but I find the "rolling and stuffing" method for flakes doesn't work too well for me...I find it difficult to light and as the tobacco expands the draw become nonexistent. It probably doesn't help that all of my pipes have pretty small bowls, so there isn't much room to expand...

For me, with flakes, I find breaking them up completely (I tear them like a savage beast) and gently packing the bowl (so the torn bits have room to expand) works best for me.