Classical Music

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by burningdarkness, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I've been busy in the last while, thanks mostly to my local library. I don't know how the rest of you are situated library-wise, but here in Columbus, Ohio, we have really a top-notch system. All the libraries around the city are interconnected, and you can have anything shipped to your local branch for free, and you can do it easily online. It just so happens that one of the more distant branches has an excellent selection of classical CD's, and I've been reserving like crazy!

After a recommendation by Dom, I put a reserve in for Harnoncourt's recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Somebody else apparently had it at the time, so I had to wait. However, I finally got it, and after really cleaning the discs so they wouldn't skip, I am able to enjoy it. I also have recordings by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and Trevor Pinnock/English Concert - all recordings with period-specific instruments. I enjoy them all. Pinnock's was at the top of my list, but I am warming to Harnoncourt's treatment. Comparing the two, you notice the harpsichord is much more forward in Pinnock's recordings (he plays the harpsichord). This can be good and bad. I love the sound of the harpsichord, but am realizing too much of a good thing is not the best. The Pinnock recording is wonderfully clear and crisp, so the harpsichord comes out even more, and can sound at times a bit too metallic. Still, it is a wonderful recording, paired with the 4 Orchestral Suites, and I love Simon Standage's violin work. That being said, Harnoncourt has a much warmer sound, while still carrying through that wonderful baroque sound of period instruments. Toss up for me right now.

I am currently also listening to Harnoncourt's recording of Telemann's Table Music - just got it yesterday. So far, very enjoyable. I have been on a huge baroque kick lately.

However, I have not neglected other areas. Purely by chance, I stumbled upon Dvorak's Cello Concerto, and it is incredible. I read about it in Ted Libbey's NPR guide to building a classical CD collection. I decided to go with his recommendation of Rostropovich/von Karajan - incredible. For a time I was favoring the quartet/chamber music genre, but as of late I like concertos. This is an excellent one.

I also picked up Grieg's first Peer Gynt suite (again, from von Karajan), and 3 different versions of Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5 - 2 orchestrated versions from von Karajan and Abbado, and one 4-hand piano version from the Crommelynck duo. All are very enjoyable, and I recommend them all.

Finally, I also decided to educate myself a bit more on the masters, so I picked up Schonberg's "Lives of the Great Composers" and Salomon's Beethoven biography.

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I thought I might post my current classical music library. I've really enjoyed diving into classical music - it is funny how originally in this thread I thought I would only be interested in Mozart and Beethoven. Now I have branched out to Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Schubert, Brahms, Haydn, and a few others. One day I love one thing, the next day another. Sometimes I am in the mood for Brahms' chamber music, sometimes Beethoven's piano sonatas, sometimes oratorios, sometimes masses, sometimes concertos, etc.

I used to think that the best way to experience classical music was to buy one of those "Best of . . ." albums with a bunch of different movements from various composers. No longer. You miss out on so much not hearing an entire piece, and from a musician truly gifted in their art. I find myself gobbling up everything I can find by Trevor Pinnock and his English Concert, or John Eliot Gardiner (or, for that matter, anything Baroque on the Archiv label). I absolutely love Rostropovich's cello performances, especially in Dvorak's Cello Concerto. Szell conducting Beethoven is also a treasure. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing Schubert's Lieder (especially Erlkoenig) surprised me by how much I like it. Even an academic piece like Bach's Art of Fugue, performed by the Emerson String Quartet is very enjoyable.

So here is the list.

Today I am attempting to listen to all of my Bach recordings. I have made it through most of the concertos, and am currently listening to his Mass in B Minor.

The latest wonderful recording I discovered was Schubert's String Quintet, performed by the Emerson String Quartet with Mstislav Rostropovich. Wonderful stuff.

3. freddy88

freddy88 Member

+1. It's sad to be teased by just one movement of any of Beethoven's symphonies and missing the rest of the piece. Likewise, almost everyone knows Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance but if they've never heard his Enigma Variations, they have missed a real treat (IMHO). I would hope those "Best of..." albums peak people's interest to explore particular composers and their works.

Right now I'm listening to Handel's Israel in Egypt. The version I have is with the Leeds Festival Chorus and the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. Because it is a long choral piece, it might not be everyone's cup of tea. It takes a good 10-12 minutes to get into the heart of the piece but I really enjoy listening to it.

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I'm finding that I greatly enjoy the choral pieces. Today I picked up Purcell's Dido and Aeneas - again, from Pinnock and the English Concert. Today I also listened to Bach's Mass in B Minor and his St. John Passion. All very wonderful. I followed up with some concertos from Vivaldi. Maybe tomorrow I will go back to Brahms and Dvorak.

5. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Mike,

Have you ever listened to Vivaldi's The Four Seasons with Nigel Kennedy on violin and the English Chamber Orchestra (EMI 1989)? I'm no expert by any means but this is my favorite version of the piece. Excuse my lack of terminology (I have no background in music at all. My ears tell me what I like. :o) but it just seems more upbeat and played at a slightly faster tempo than most versions I've heard.

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Don't worry, I am no musical expert, either. I can't discuss it theoretically, and have no formal musical training, other than playing baritone saxophone in band from 6th to 9th grades. I just know what I like.

I haven't heard that recording of the 4 Seasons. I have a version by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert. Their specialty is playing with period instruments - trying to recreate how a piece was originally performed. I love it, but haven't listened to others yet. If you enjoy baroque music, like Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, then I would recommend Trevor Pinnock's recordings. One of my favorite albums is "7 Concerti" by Vivaldi, performed by Pinnock and the English Concert. But I have yet to find a recording of theirs that I don't like. Or find a copy of the Brandenburg Concertos of Bach, performed by Nikolaus Harnoncourt and Concentus Musicus Wien. I could go on and on. John Eliot Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists also play period instruments, and do wonders with choral works.

7. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

These two albums, especially Symphony No.6 ("Celestial Gate") and The Lark Ascending. But the Elgar is not to be missed, either:

Attached Files:

8. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Alright, you cello lovers out there! Help me out here. I am currently enthralled by the cello. There are 2 sets of recordings that I am considering buying, but need advice on performers.

Brahms: Cello Sonatas
    Okay, do I go with Rostropovich/Serkin, Du Pre/Barenboim, or Ma/Ax? I love Rostropovich, but also have some recordings by Ma that I enjoy. I don't like the one Barenboim recording I have (Beethoven piano sonatas) but have read huge praise for Du Pre's performance here. Suggestions?

Bach: Cello Suites
    Two options here - Fournier or Rostropovich. Again, Rostropovich is incredible where I have heard him before, and my gut says to go with him here, but I have read nothing but rave reviews for Fournier's performance.

I have listened to short samples on iTunes from all of these, but they don't help me much. I'm open to suggestions. Or, if you think there is another performance I have overlooked, please say so.

9. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hey, Mike, I'll never get downtown to the main branch of the San Diego Public Library if you keep adding things I want to listen to. :happy102

All kidding aside, I believe they have a version of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas that I want to take out.

I don't know much about cello music at all but really fell for the soundtrack of Memoirs of a Geisha with Yo-Yo Ma doing the cello solos. Have you heard it? If not, see if the Columbus Public Library has it and give it a shot. This is going to sound silly, but sometimes I enjoy having that CD playing softly while I'm reading a good book and have a cup of tea or coffee at my side. (Yes, it does sound silly...but I'm still going to do it. ;))

I hope others can help you on your Brahms/Bach cello quest.

10. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Freddy,
    If you like Ma playing cello for "Memoirs of a Geisha" (I haven't seen it nor heard the music), then I would HIGHLY recommend one of two albums to look for - either Essential Yo-yo Ma, or Yo-yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. There are two songs - found on either album - from the movie "The Mission" that are beautiful - "Gabriel's Oboe" and "The Falls." I think you might enjoy them. As far as "soundtrack" music goes, that is about all I have heard, although I fell in love with Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" and Elgar's Enigma Variation "Nimrod" after watching the movie "Australia."

11. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Mike,

If you get a chance, give Memoirs of a Geisha a try. I know it's not classical music in the pure sense but, honestly, it can be listened to independently of the movie.

I shall look for those two Yo-Yo Ma CD's you mentioned, particularly the Ennio Morricone one. I saw The Mission when it first came out in theaters. I liked the music so much that I went right out and purchased the CD. In fact, it was one of the first CD's I ever bought. It remains one of my favorite soundtracks to this day.

I just got back from the library where I took out the Purcell Dido and Aeneas that you recommended. (Indeed, it's playing as I type this.) I also took out the English Chamber Orchestra version with Janet Baker as Dido. I shall be listening to that next to see which version I prefer.

Thanks for the heads up on some excellent music.

12. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Don't mention it. Honestly, most of what I now know came from others in this thread, particularly Dom (burningdarkness). Go back and read through the posts - he gives some excellent recommendations. I haven't formed an opinion of Dido and Aeneas yet - I've only listened to it once through. Some Baroque music is incredible - much of Bach's work, Vivaldi's concertos, and several of Handel's work. Other material, though, is just okay. Telemann's Table Music is pleasant enough, but was originally written as background music, and as such, is good for that, but nothing moving.

As for other "movie" music, look for Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. You might recognize it from the movie "Platoon." I would describe it as beautifully sad.

I've been thinking of putting together my own list of favorites - maybe as a recommendation list for a good introduction to several different composers. Probably not useful for those more experienced than I, but might be a good sampling for people who are like me - just getting into Classical music. Here are a few I would recommend:
    Bach: Brandenburg Concertos - Nikolaus Harnoncourt and Concentus Musicus Wien
    Violin Concertos - Simon Standage, Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert
    Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas (esp. Moonlight, Waldstein, Pathetique, and Appasionatta) - Wilhelm Kempff
    Symphony No. 9 - Herbert von Karajan (60's performance)
    Symphonies 3 & 6 - George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra
    Symphony 5 - Carlos Kleiber, Vienna Philharmonic
    Piano Concerto No. 5 - Fleisher, Szell, Cleveland Orchestra
    Violin Concerto - Schneiderhan
    Violin Sonatas (esp. Spring and Kreutzer) - Perlman, Ashkenazy

Brahms: Piano Trio No. 1 - Suk, Katchen, Starker
    Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Herbert von Karajan
    Violin Sonatas - Perlman, Ashkenazy

Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 - Istvan Kertesz, London Symphony Orchestra
    Cello Concerto - Rostropovich, von Karajan

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
    Symphony No. 40 - Bohm
    Horn Concertos - Dennis Brain, Herbert von Karajan
    Clarinet Quintet - David Shifrin, Emerson String Quartet

Schubert: Death and the Maiden String Quartet No. 14 - Takacs Quartet
    String Quintet - Rostropovich, Emerson String Quartet
    Lieder (esp. Der Erlkonig, Death and the Maiden, Die Winterreise song cycle) - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Gerald Moore
    Late Piano Sonatas - Maurizio Pollini

Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 - Herbert von Karajan

Barber: Adagio for Strings - Slatkin, St. Louis Symphony Orchestra

Vivaldi: Four Seasons - Trevor Pinnock and The English Concert
    Any of his Concertos by Trevor Pinnock and The English Concert

Handel: Water Music, Concerti Grossi, Music for the Royal Fireworks - Trevor Pinnock

This isn't an exhaustive look, nor does it include some of my favorite pieces, but it consists of works that are more easily appreciated by people new to classical music. There are many more to explore, like masses, requiems, and oratorios, which I have come to love, by Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, and Bach.

13. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

By the way, I love "The Mission." I have it on DVD - great movie. Bores my wife to death. I really liked the song "Gabriel's Oboe," and it sounds wonderful played on a cello.

14. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Wow, Mike, what a "start"!

I would add to that all 9 of Beethoven's symphonies, as well as his Violin Concerto, Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole (Anne-Sophie Mutter on violin with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Orchestre National de France), Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, Hamlet, and Capriccio Italien (Leonard Bernstein conducting the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra), Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (RSO Berlin Orchestra and Choir with Riccardo Chailly conducting), and Smetana's Má Vlast [My Fatherland] (James Levine conducting the Wiener Philharmoiker). This last piece includes the famous Vltava [the Moldau].

I just finished listening to both Dido and Aeneas versions and I have to say that, even though the Trevor Pinnock version with Anne Sofie von Otter as Dido is played with period musical instruments, I much preferred the 1961 version with Dame Janet Baker in the role. In fact, I think I may get that version.

Again, thanks for the introduction.

15. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I'm glad you've expanded much further than you originally thought, Mike.

You're very right. You do miss out on a lot with those "Best of" CDs. Most of the time, the recordings on those CDs aren't particularly spectacular either.

Additionally, those CDs usually leave out most of Beethoven's 9th. Everyone is familiar with the main theme from the final movement of the 9th, but almost no one knows that the piece is about an hour long in its entirety and that there's so much more going on.

I've actually never listened to Purcell's Dido and Aeneas.

Who do you have conducting Bach's Mass and the St. John?

I hadn't heard of that recording of the Four Seasons, Freddy. Took a look for it online and had a listen. From the few excerpts I listened to, it sounded very good. My preferred recording of this piece is by the Venice Baroque Orchestra with Giuliano Carmignola as the solo violinist under direction of Andrea Marcon (who plays the harpsichord). Marcon and Carmignola make a fabulous team and I'd highly recommend their recordings, particularly Bach's sonatas for violin and harpsichord.

Harnoncourt? :D

Have I made you a convert?

Mike - I can't help you out with a definite answer for the Brahms. I'm not entirely familiar with his Cello sonatas. I did take a listen to some clips of the recordings you mentioned on Amazon and would probably recommend the Serkin/Rostropovich recording. I'd definitely place the Ma/Ax recording last. If you haven't already, take a good listen through all the clips you can find and make your decision that way.

As for the Bach Cello Suites, I do have a definite answer: Fournier. Hands down. Also, I'd recommend taking a listen to Pablo Casals' recording of the Cello Suites, too. The recording quality isn't as good, but it's another fabulous set (I'd still recommend the Fournier recording though).

Nice list there, Mike. There are a couple things I'd change, take out, or add, but all in all, it's a very good list. Of course, everyone has their own idea what an ideal list would be. This one gets my stamp of approval. (You should add some Chopin, though :D)

16. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Also, you should take a listen to Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice (Gardiner), Mike. you might enjoy that seeing as you're enjoying vocal pieces.

Additionally, if you haven't heard any vocal pieces directed by Robert Shaw, you need to change that. He is THE master of directing a choir.

17. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Dom-
    I have Gardiner's performances of Bach's Mass and St. John Passion. I know I should probably branch out and try other performers - I tend to be fixated on Pinnock as well.

I did end up getting Fournier's recording of the Cello Suites - part of it was due to the lower price.:D I'm halfway through the second suite and love it.

I was leaning towards the Rostropovich/Serkin recordings of Brahms' Cello Sonatas as well.

I am a convert to Harnoncourt on the Brandenburgs - he achieves a much warmer sound than Pinnock. One issue I have with Pinnock is that the harpsichord does at times tend to take TOO prominent a role - Harnoncourt doesn't have that.

I haven't ventured into Chopin yet. I keep meaning to. I am also exploring Liszt.

I'll take a listen to Gluck. I read a bit about him in "Lives of the Great Composers." That's the problem here, though - All of this music has a several centuries head start - it is hard getting caught up on everything worth listening to!:D It is fun exploring, though. I'll take a gander at your recommendation for the 4 Seasons as well.

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Member

I enjoy most types of music, but classical keeps my interest the most. I get most of my exposure through National Public Radio. So my favorite is what ever is being broadcast at the time.
    This spring I was able to attend a few of the NY Met Opera Live HD performances at our local movie theater. I was very impressed and plan of attending all of the next seasons shows.
    I will need to go back through this thread and listen to all of the you-tube items. Thank you to all who posted them.:signs001

19. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Alright, Dom, you've never steered me wrong before, so I went to my local library this morning, and they had a TON of Carmignola/Marcon CD's. Well, not a ton, but 3! I picked up the Four Seasons CD, along with Vivaldi: Concertos (RV 331, 190, 325, 217, and 303), and Vivaldi: Late Violin Concertos. I also picked up Marcon/Vienna Baroque Orchestra performance of Vivaldi: Concerti & Sinfonie per archi. I listened to Four Seasons while coming in to work - very different from Pinnock. It is almost a scaled down version compared to Pinnock. Nothing extra - but not in a bad way. The notes are played, and there seems to be no embellishment. In fact, the violin seems to play more choppy than with Pinnock's recording. Again, not sloppy/choppy. It feels right, but it is a completely different beast than the Pinnock recording, although both are "period" performances. I couldn't say I liked one better yet - I've only listened to Carmignola once. But both have their strengths for me.

I also picked up a random Chopin CD - Ingrid Fliter on EMI Classics, playing Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 3 (Op. 58), as well as some other solo piano pieces. This was just a random selection - I did no research, just saw it, and thought I'd give it a shot. I just listened to it, but did so while working, so didn't listen too closely, and can't comment yet.

I also checked out a copy of Harnoncourt's 2001 recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion. I'll have to compare it to the Goennenwein recording I have.

20. AdrianR

AdrianR New Member

Mmmmm.... Baroque harpsichord music....Scarlatti, Soler, Rameau, Haydn.

Best listened to from a good CD recording with a tube amplifier.