cleaning or rinsing the dovo

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by bearbeard, Mar 30, 2007.

1. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Just got the Dovo Shavette in. Snapped a blade into two. (thanks Joe!) and had a pretty dog gone good shave for the first time. And had a blast using it.
    I just may go to a pure str8 very soon. Obviously being new to this form of razor I ran into a slight problem while shaving.

My question here is How do you clean your str8 while shaving?The shavette could not be rinsed off easily.
    Do people use a towel to wipe the razor off on?I would think this would dull the blade.

Even if you don't use a Shavette, but still use a str8 I am curious as to how you clean the blade off before another pass.

2. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

figured it out!! was the PSO.....the first time I used the razor I wanted to take an extra precaution!!!! Next time was without and everything rinsed off just fine. I only use the PSO for a touch and cut every once in a while. which works out perfect for my face. I have also been told barber use a towel to wipe the shavette off on. spine first just like you were stropping. Just in case you might have been curious more often.

Have I mentioned that I am loving using this shavette? It is a lot of fun to use. now I really have the urge to dive into str8 razor shaving.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Uh oh. :eek:

Is this the beginning of the end for Bob? Stayed tuned folks. :rofl

4. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Well, It just might be!!! Better live it up while I can.:rofl

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    As long as you are enjoying it. That's the important thing. :D

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Bob, I wish I could say my experience with straights has been good so far, but the "chevrons" on my face from the cuts would say different. I never got cut so bad with a safety razor! But, having said that, I just bought my second straight. :rofl

Seriously, let me give you two pieces of advice:

1 Make sure your first straight razor comes from Bill (Bill Ellis) or Joe C., and that it is "shave ready."

2. If you go the ebay route like I did, see # 1 above for guys (among others) to send the razor to hone correctly from the start so you don't suffer like I did. :D

7. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

Yeah, I agree, although they're not the only people who can hone straight. There's always Lynn and a few others.

8. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Great advice Blair, I will have to remember that when I do make the plunge to a str8.
    SWMBO is a little worried about me having one more weapon in the house.
    If you ask me I'm the one who should be worried!!!!

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

LX, you are right. There are other folks who could certainly hone. Lynn is supposed to be the best. Heck, our own Raf (Scorpio) has gotten good at honing according to Mike!

Bob, I hope to get my second straight Saturday. I am probably just going to take the plunge and buy a Norton waterstone and paddle strop too. I mean, if you get one really "shave ready," you wouldn't have to have the honing stuff for a while, but I think I already want to put a better edge on the little Garantie 4/8 I have. There's a learning curve for sure, but I have sharpened my own hunting/pocket knives for years, and I like messing with tools and stuff, so I want to learn to hone also.