Cleaning Stuck, and Crudded Up Razors.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 7, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've seen many threads asking how to clean stuck razors(Butterfly door razors like Gillette Fatboys, Slims, Techs, etc.), . Many many members have their own ways of trying to fix these issues. Almost every razor can be fixed, unless it is physically damaged, and that is a topic for a different thread. A sticking razor is usually caused by dried up shave soap, mixed with stubble, and at times, a little corrosion(usually aluminum).

Tried many times, with poor results:
    Ultra Sonic Cleaning- limited results, and Can damage a razors finish.
    WD40/Ballistol, etc.- Not much luck.
    Scrubbing Bubbles- works for light crud, but takes a long time soaking.
    Just boiling water- limited results.
    Oils- not good results.
    Vinegar - limited results, and will damage metal, if soaked.

What Works:
    Boiling water/Palmolive soak.
    I've fixed Gillette Black Beauty, Fat Boys, Slims, etc..., With the same issues. I've tried many different ways. The best way I have found is to put the razor in a heat proof pan/measuing cup. In a separate pot, boil some water, then pour it over the razor, covering it. Next, pour in, a good amount of Palmolive dish soap. This seems to work better than others, for some reason. Dawn will also work too, I just dont like it as much.
    Stir the water around until the soap is mixed in. Let it sit, until cool. Then try working the razor. Use an old toothbrush to scrub off loosened crud, and rinse. If still sticking, remove the razor, reheat the soapy water, and resoak the razor, let it cool again, and scrub with toothbrush. . It should work fine, after the second soak. If not, try a third time. I have not had to do this more than three times, even with the worst one. This method has never damages any razor, even the Black Beauty.

I hope this thread helps.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

What do you mean by stuck razors?

3. DaltonGang

When the doors will not open, or the adjustable knob will not turn. This does not apply if the razor is damaged, that is for other conversations.

4. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Thanks.

5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I have cleaned up many razors with pretty good results however today I found a challenge. In an old travel trailer that was falling to pieces. The Gillette Super speed with a steel blade that had rusted almost completely away. I have attached before pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’m soaking in boiling water and Dawn now. I just read this post however and will try Palmolive. Because I’m sure this one will need plenty of soaks.
    Any guesses on the Date code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DaltonGang

You are going to need some stiff bristles. That rust might need to be attacked with a penetrating oil bath, that will loosen up rust. Unknown how much plating, if any is left. I've had a few that looked like that, and was surprised at how good they look, under all that crud. The date codes are under all that stuff, so time will tell.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Jrdelgado like this.
  7. Jrdelgado

Thank you for the advice. I will post after pics when I get finished. Think it will be awhile.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

THIS is the kind of adventure why I keep coming here!

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

1958-61 or d-g

Enrico and Jrdelgado like this.
  10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I know, right lol!? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this progresses!

gorgo2 and Jrdelgado like this.
  11. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Can I just use one bowl that I'm going to heat up until boiling and then put some dish washing soap and then place the razor in it?

12. DaltonGang

Yes. Using a microwave to reheat the solution, in a pyrex measuring cup is how I do it. Just remember to take the razor out before the microwave. You would be surprised how many people have to be told this.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I would guess between 1960 - 1966

1) Due to the size of the knurl gap between the TTO knob and crimp; would be after 1957.
    2) Due to the horizontal lines in the grip; it wouldn't be a 1958.
    3) And finally the lack of horizontal lines in the TTO knob would be between 1960 to 1966 ( 1966 was the last year for the nickel handled Flare)

Just my observations.

:eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Well, how is it coming along??

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Jrdelgado

Slow. I have had it soaking in dawn and water all week. I change the water and scrub abit with a toothbrush and back into the water. I’ll work on it more tomorrow and post picks. Some of the rust is gone but quite abit is still there. I’m out of flitz I need to get more. But I am far from polishing I believe.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

Dont soak it in soap too long. Hot cold, hot cold. Soap and water solution will not dissolve rust.

Jrdelgado, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I thought about cider vinegar to break up rust.

:eatdrink047:

Jrdelgado likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Seen some grody razors; concretized soap scum, mineral scale, dug out of lakes, I even had a flare tip that was encased in a brown waxy...I still dunno what, but it came clean when I sent it to another member here. But I've never seen a Gillette that was covered in rust. Didn't think it was possible but there it is.

19. DaltonGang

Vinegar might break up rust, but it will damage any plating, if soaked for a while. . I dont know what it will do about brass though.

Enrico likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have a couple of options. Some will probably taking the plating off with it.

Use vinegar preferably white and soak the rusted section directly in it.

Sprinkle it with salt and then juice a lime or lemon on the salt and let it sit. Remove using the rind as the abrasive pad.

You can try a baking soda paste, let it sit until it dries then scrub it off.

Use dish soap and a potato. Cut the potato and let the cut side sit on the razor in the dish soap. You can also try baking soda instead of soap in the water.

Get a vibratory tumbler like the ones they sell at harbor freight. You can also use it to clean things like used brass bullet shells if you make your own ammo.