Clubman Pinaud fixed their plastic?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Gardeswell, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Gardeswell

Gardeswell New Member

I’ve been seeing posts around the web that Clubman Pinaud supposedly smelled like plastic unless you decanted it in a glass bottle for a month. I bought my first bottle last week to see what they were talking about but I don’t smell any plastic at all! Did they start coating their bottles like Old Spice does or did I just get a lucky bottle?

Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Maybe you just got a fresh bottle? :signs002:
    I'm no scientist, and I've done no experiments, but my theory is that it takes a bit of time for the plastic smell to mingle in with the juice.

Paul Turner, PLANofMAN and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I feel sorry for plastic that has to smell like Clubman.

BamaT, Primotenore, brit and 4 others like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You're just jealous. :prrr:

:happy097:

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My Clubman smells fine-plastic bottle or not.Perhaps it smelled somewhat better when Ed Pinaud got it up and going in 1830, but I was born 127 years later so I can't offer a comment comparing the two.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    wristwatchb likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

[​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

El Bumpo

Now I wonder if they did change the plastic formulation, if not the juice. I got some slapped on yesterday at the barbershop, as mentioned elsewhere, and out of curiosity then went to CVS and bought a bottle. I doubt both could be very fresh but both indeed lack the weird note I always hated in Clubman. I would wear it now...in fact, I am.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have a half dozen assorted plastic bottles of Pinuad products and none have any plastic smell.

They range in age (meaning in my possession) from a few weeks to about three years old.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't know (and have never known) if it's the plastic that put me off. All I know is two recent bottles smell different than they've always smelled before.

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I don’t doubt you and have been meaning to glass decant my Pinaud collection. If for no other reason than to organize it better

11. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

In my experience putting it in a glass bottle did help it smell more mellow after a month but not enough to continue doing it. YMMV of course.

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I would say if someone has never tried decanting theirs and they don't notice a smell that could be simply due to the fact that they don't know that there could be a difference... When I got my first 2 bottles they were " seasoned " bottles of the country club size and I thought they smelled okay. I didn't know any different.. I did take one of the large bottles and transfer it over to glass and you can now tell a difference in the 2 bottles.. It makes the individual scents "pop" more than they did in the original plastic bottle.... I would say try decanting if you want to and don't if you like the smell in plastic ,because, it's too each their own.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The glass needs to be left open for a period of time, I assume, to let it "air out"?

brit likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I noticed the same phenomenon happening in Cella with the almond scent and also from some other soap products in plastic containers. I think what happens is the alcohol in the after shave or the soap itself draws out chemicals from the plastic in the container and creates a leaching effect. Maybe that's why perfumes and such are usually sold in glass containers to prevent this leaching effect...

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The plastic bottle smell could only improve the smell of Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal(The Veg). God awful stuff.

ShaversRUs, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  16. Gardeswell

Gardeswell New Member

If only, I ended up with a sample bottle of it. That stuff smells like a Truck Stop Bathroom!

ShaversRUs and DaltonGang like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:D:eatdrink047::eatdrink047:

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I gifted my bottle to someone, a while back.

ShaversRUs and brit like this.
  19. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Yup. If you covered a rotting corpse with those pink urinal pucks it would be a close approximation…

ShaversRUs and brit like this.
  20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I decanted my Virgin Island Bay Rum in a glass bottle. For me, there were no noticeable differences in the scent. But what i can say is that the scent way quite a bit „weaker“ as it were in the plastic bottle…any thoughts on this theory?