Coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by burnWood, Apr 5, 2012.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I tend to like medium roasts,once in a while a dark roast. I also add a spoon of chicory to the basket and mix it in for a fuller flavor .Whenever I buy ground coffee as soon as I open it it gets poured into a quart size resealable container that is tamped down to get as much coffee and as little air into the container when I seal the top.I tend to make a pot of 3/4 strength brew and pour it into a large stainless thermos and seal it as soon as it stops brewing.That way I get hot coffee all day and it stays fresh and does not get that bitterness that coffee develops after sitting on the warmer a while.

Aldi's has some good coffee as some one posted earlier.I like their german mild roast.They also sell various styles of whole beans for a good price.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

We have an aldi here, so I may go in and look. I could pull the drip machine out, but I like the convience of the Kuerig.
    That being said, I have recently found 2 new coffee (at least to me) Community Coffee breakfast blend, blue top and I can only find it at Target. The other is the McCafe coffee. The same blend they use at McDonald's. It's good coffee, not bitter either. So far that is my usual go to.

3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Their whole bean from Honduras is what I drink most mornings lately.

large_89f5fd19-9e59-473e-9c26-c3ed92efa55a.jpg

4. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I like myorga cafe cubano, I get it at Costco for 15$ for 2 lbs. It brews nice in my French press.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

as the bag in your pic shows a lot of the Aldi's stuff is "Fair Trade" certified,if that matters to you.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a deal breaker for me. But it's a plus.

7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

It's an acquired taste. A stint in the military and/or a regular assignment to the midnight shift will transform many.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Frequently of a morning, when running late, I've been ordering McDonald's coffee on ice...no sweetner/syrup, light on the ice. A few creamers and nothing else. It's good.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This afternoon will be my first try with "Eight O'clock" decaf.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can't stand regular Folgers or Max House anymore -- lots of buzz online for several years about their quality going way down and I agree it has -- but Folgers instant decaf is pretty tasty. I used to be able to have a cup of unleaded in the evening and still sleep, but now it keeps me up even if I have one early afternoon. Funny how age messes with body chemistry.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am always up for a good dark roast usually with chicory. Currently drinking Luzianne with chichory. It is a lighter roast so I mix a little Cafe Bustelo in to get the dark roast flavor. My current Kcup is French Market dark roast. Another great cup of Louisiana goodness.
    https://reilyproducts.com/LUZIANNE-COFFEE

12. Paul Turner

Chicory appears to have some good health benefits

wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Oh does it? Did not know that. I like it for the flavor.

14. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Luzianne link. I’m always up to try a new brand.

wristwatchb, Frijolero and wchnu like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Your Welcome....Be sure to look up French Market and River Road brands too. Real Louisiana coffee.

wristwatchb, Frijolero and GatorJoe like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a jug of Chock Full o'Nuts cold brewing in the fridge for tomorrow morning. Just to do something different.

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It's been a stellar week on the coffee front. First, a great new local coffee shop has opened up around the corner from work. I've done a lot of getting to know them, and it is becoming a great place to network in our little community.

As a bonus, he knows I roast my own coffee at home and has offered to order me green coffee from his source for me at a fantastic price as long as I order in ten pound batches. Bonus!

And, I found a nice little Italian moka pot at Marshall's for $12. Tonight was my first go with one and it was fantastic. I'll be making a lot of homemade espresso with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

(cross-posted)

No cows were harmed in the making of this coffee.

[​IMG]

19. Paul Turner

Mr G, you'd better make sure @Sara-s doesn't see that!!

wristwatchb, Frijolero and richgem like this.
  20. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

After seeing this thread I couldn't resist trying to up my coffee game. For years I've been a regular Maxwell House guy until my stepmom got me started on Starbucks coffee, namely Pike Place. Love it.

Well today I received a new inexpensive Krups bean grinder and put it to work grinding some Peet's Big Bang. The new grinder did an awesome job and I just brewed my first ever pot of fresh ground coffee! I don't drink it black so I put a pinch of salt along with a spoon of creamer and one Splenda pack, dang, it's goooooooooodddd!!!! Will have to try some whole bean Starbucks but it's gonna be hard to beat Peet's Big Bang! :D

Amazing how just a few simple adjustments in the way I brew my coffee can make such a big difference in taste!:happy093:I now have a new Bunn Heat & Brew on the way to replace my 6yr old Farberware drip coffee maker, lol. This site is such an enabler! :happy108:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019