Coldest of the Cold?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by NoahG, Apr 19, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

What are your favorites/recommendations for super cold uber mentholated products? I've got both TSD M Bomb and a couple ounces of crystal menth on order, but I'm interested in finding out more.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I don't know about super cold.. but Mama Bear's Awakenings and TSD Iced Subzero are my favorite cold soaps.

For AS, TSD Iced subzero and Osage Rub.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

For soap and cream you want the TSD Iced Sub Zero. Along with your mbomb get a bottle of Osage Rub and apply all three in the appropriate stage and I guarantee you won't be able to feel your face.

4. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Alcolado Glacial is awesome - For my face, about the same level of menthol as osage rub, but it smells a bit better (has a bit of a lime scent)

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Where can I find this?

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

shoebox shave shop

7. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

8. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

You have the right idea, menthol crystals. Add as much as you would like to your creams, soaps, balms, whatever. Enjoy 'em, they're cheaper than dirt

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

Good heads up on the new shop. The Alcolado Glacial is super cheap and they have some other things that look good too!

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

TSD ISZ is cold stuff! So is Osage Rub and Alcolado Glacial, but Osage Rub is better IMHO.

Queen Charlotte Vostok is a chilly croap as well.

11. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I agree with everything above especially Iced Subzero, Osage Rub, and
    Alcolado Glacial.
    I'll add-Palmolive Menthol, Godrej Menthol Mist, Ingrams-all shaving creams.
    Baxter of California AS Balm has less menthol than the above products but is
    very nice.
    JoAnna's double iced splashes are as cold as Osage/Alcolado-my favorite is Cedarwood and Lemon. Iced Peppermint and Mojito are also very nice.

I do have Da Bomb which makes anything cold-I like putting it in my shampoo.

I also have menthol crystals which I've experimented with in many products. The one that worked best for me was in the witch hazel. Everything else is just easier to use Da Bomb.

Yes I can talk menthol all day but I gotta get back to work.

Happy Face Freeze

12. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I love the Godrej MM, I don't know where it goes on the coldness scale but it's definitely the coldest thing I have so far. I just got a tube of Ingram's that I have yet to try though, so we shall see...

13. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

If we can call Iced Subzero 10, I'd give Godrej a 6. Ingram's is about the same. Palmolive is about a 7. Can anybody comment on Mama Bear's Awakening on my scale? I've heard good things about that and have been
    tempted. Don't tell JoAnna.

14. NoahG

NoahG Member

I'm definitely getting some ISZ next time around. I have a cream and a soap on order right now and I'll see which one I like best first, luckily I have the M Bomb and Crytal Menth to tide me over! I think both the lemon cedar wood and the blue juniper I have coming will both be nice with the added cold.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Just be careful with the menthol crystals. Too much menthol is just that. It won't hurt you but it will make you damn uncomfortable for an intense half hour or so if you use it straight.

ISZ is about as good as it gets. Just order all your future TSD SS/SCs with twice the ice and you'll have all the freeze in whatever scent you like.

As mentioned above, Mama Bear's awakening is supposed to be good too, but I haven't tried it yet either.

16. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

A good thing i did with menthol. Is do have the cream you want mentolated. Find out how much you like. Then add that total amount again. If you have to much menthol you can always just add in more cream to take it down a notch. With soaps this is more difficult...

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I really don't like that being said on the forum. And I'd be in error not to say something as I, and others, carry a large amount of responsibility and liability for the info provided here.

You don't know it can't hurt him. Too much menthol can hurt certain people, like those with respiratory problems or other conditions.

Too much of anything is simply too much, and can be harmful. Everything in moderation.

18. NoahG

NoahG Member

when I get it(the crystal):freezing I'll devote the weekend to testing, starting small and then finding out what my tolerances are. I've been reading through the excellent posts in the forums on recipes and warnings and such, so I'm becoming aware of the risks of any of this self experimentation with home made concoctions. I had a painful/embarrassing experience with some icy hot as a child (didn't wash my hands after I put it on... fill in the blanks after that) and I'm not looking to repeat that kind of disaster or worse.

19. newb

newb Resident Newb

Too much menthol might be bad, anything in an insane excess is (i think the crystals are dangerous if you eat them), but menthol actually has been shown in studies to be advantageous for those suffering from respiratory disorders. It stimulates the cold receptors in the upper airways. (people who have really bad COPD will actually claim that they can breath easier if they have a fan blowing air into their face, the blowing air stimulates those same receptors) It will actually decrease shortness of breath and may increase Lung volumes. I saw a study a while back in the American Journal of Critical care medicine on cold receptors and menthol inhalation was what was used to stimulate the receptors. This is why a big snort of vick's vapor rub allows you to breath easier when you have a cold. Menthol is much safer than perfume and after shave. I've seen quite a bit of asthmatic attacks due to perfume. If you use perfume you could actually cause an asthma attack, which could be life threatening .:D I for one am not giving up my heavily mentholated aftershave:D

20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

As far as Godrej Menthol Mist is concerned, it definitely is somewhat colder than Ingram, and I would rate it as more of a 9/10 on the menthol scale. I would rate the Palmolive Menthol creams from Italy, Romania, and Egypt at around the same. I would rate Ingram at about 8/10, with Proraso Green at 7/10. Nothing can beat TSD Iced Subzero soap or cream. Now, as far as an aftershave is concerned, you want either Osage Rub or Alcolado Glacial for maximum face-freezing, although Alt Innsbruck is pretty damn cold as well. :)