Comb Razor the problem?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe Member

So I have been having problems getting this DE shave thing down. I've tried a bunch of razors and blades so far. Derby blades cut my neck up almost on contact! Steve was nice enough to send me an old fat handle tech. That being used with dorco 301 blades seems to give me the best shave, most times no bleeding and very little irritation. I am using a standard can shave gel till I get my technique down and hot towel since I like to shower after the shave. Prior to the fat handle tech I tried an old comb razor I had sitting around, a bob's razor works new comb razor, a goodfella razor I traded with Don for and an old comb razor from ebay very similar to the goodfella. Each time, I get cut up badly. Does all of this evidence mean that comb razors are just not made for my neck? Don was nice enough to also include a Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip with the trade and I will be trying that next shave. But as far as comb razors, any ideas on the above? Why I cut myself no matter which blade, yet get a pretty decent shave with a fat handle tech so far and if things to right, should get a great shave with the super speed?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like only certain razor/blade combos are going to work for you.
    As for the OCs (open combs), I have several. Some are aggressive, some are mild, just like DEs.
    Again, it's just a matter of finding what will work for you.
    If the Tech is working for you, I'd stick with that for a while (at least a month or two) to solidify your technique.
    Changing too many things up too soon will only result in aggravation.

Hang in there! You'll get it.

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

4. Joe

Joe Member

I agree and would like to stick to the tech, and I THINK I may even have another tec that I never knew I had, will find out this weekend. But I am curious to try the super speed, it looks smooth and from what I read, is a good beginner razor. Perhaps try it for one shave and see, then stick to one of the two for a while?

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'd suggest once you get your technique down re-visiting the open combs.

6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

The super speed is a good choice. It is a mild razor in my opinion. Just don't switch up anything else, so if something goes terribly wrong, you can pinpoint it as the razor being the culprit and not have to guess as to what went wrong.

7. Joe

Joe Member

Tom, I heard that everywhere on the internet, the super speed is mild, so I can't wait to try it out! I was also told by Don and reading online that goodfella open comb was mild, and it seems mild but no good for me. I been trying to keep the same routine, hot towell, same blade brand, same shave gel and so on. I'll update once I shave sunday. I will have good growth by then and that is usually when I get my best shaves with any razor.

8. Joe

Joe Member

JoAnna, My first thought after last night was to sell the goodfella and give up on open combs, but my second thought was exactly what you said, hold on to it and try it down the line.

9. missingskin

missingskin New Member

First thing don't expect everything to be perfect right away. Put the O/C razors to one side for the moment and just use the Tech, keep to a blade that works for you ( you may find a better blade in time as different blades work with different people me and Feathers don't get on but others rave about them ?). It sounds like you need to get your technique right, give yourself a month before changing any thing about your set up. Then only change one thing at a time. You have get your blade angle right, pressure on the razor and remember take your time and it will come together in time.

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Personally, I suggest taking your shower first. My shaves are always horrible if I haven't had my shower first. The hot water and soaps and shampoos you use during your shower make your hair, including your beard, soft and opens your hair follicles/pores which makes the hairs ripe for a blade to slice through.

If you're just stuck on showering after you shave, at least wash your face good to remove any natural oil and dirt and then try about 5, 10 minutes of keeping a wet, warm towel on your face before shaving - as the old school barbers would do to you before a shave in their shop. They did it for a reason and it's scientifically proven.

And finally, get you some real shaving soap. Foams and gels are puffed up from air and really aren't that good for wet shaving. I know some people get great shaves using them but it'll be even better using real soap and a brush. The brush isn't just for looks, it has its reason for being there - lifting those hairs and exfoliating the skin. And your shaving technique doesn't have anything to do with whipping up lather. :)

battle.munky likes this.
  11. Joe

Joe Member

Jody, thanks for that. I really enjoyed reading that. As far as showering, I could do either, but the irritation and bleeding, I have to shower after as well if I was to shower first! lol. I have mug soap, a shave bowl and decent brush, maybe I will try that sunday. I haven't quiet perfected making lather, last time I did ok, but first bunch of times I got mostly sudsy soap lol. So you also don't recommend trying out the super speed blue tip once before sticking to the tech? I been dying to try this thing since it came in the mail, but apparently everybody is saying not to and to stick to the tech. Why is that? My thoughts are that the super speed could be even better and I can stick to that for a while and if not, it's only one shave and I can go back to tech for a while....I could be wrong

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Techs are quite mild and considering the problems you're having, their recommendation to stick with the Tech are appropriate. The Blue Tip is mild as well but more aggressive than the Tech.. to me anyway. Try some of the tips offered and see if things improve, and if so, then move on to the next thing - in this case the Blue Tip. Patience. Before you know it, you'll be using straight razors! ;):)

13. Joe

Joe Member

Haha, Joky I wish. I actually have a straight razor. I have a summer home in upstate NY and last time I was there, I found one very old razor that was my grandfathers and a bunch that was my fathers. I didn't inspect them and didn't have time to grab them, take them home and post pics here, but I believe one to be a tech and one to be a straight! I'll stay away from straight lol. I am heading there tonight after work for the weekend and will bring them home and post pics, maybe you or some people on here can tell me what I got cause i wouldn't know by looking at them. If one is a tech, which i really believe it is, that would be great. And one might even be a super speed, maybe not but I remember seeing that it was a butterfly open type. I'll post them sunday or monday.

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Soaps and creams are pretty cheap for the most part, so practice, practice, practice making those lathers! Yeah it may seem a little wasteful, but in the end the results will pay off.

The thinking behind this is you say you are getting decent shaves with the Tech, so stick with what works for now, at least for a month or so till you nail your technique. Too many variables will make it hard to track down what is giving you trouble, and that Blue Tip has been around for 50 years, another month or so and it will still be waiting for you.

battle.munky likes this.
  15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Some of my best shaves come an open comb razors. You just need to find the right blade combo and razor. That process is an ongoing learning, I am still learning . I have been fortunate in that I have had not any bad blade experiences or blasde horror stories.

16. Joe

Joe Member

Bill, I will try the suggestion and only stick to the tech, but can't make any promises :) But for real, just having received the blue tip, I think I have to give it one try, besides, I only have one Dorco 301 blade left (the one that has been working for me) and there should be 100 more waiting in my mailbox when I get home today. But I will stick to the tech cause that has been working good. I was told by Steve to keep my bobs razor works for down the line, and probably should have, but traded it for the goodfella, so I will keep that one on the side for now. It's actually a pretty nice razor in person. Also, a friend of mine that I got into wet shaving recently, he's had great luck so far, is moving out of state in a few weeks. I am meeting with him to say goodbye and have one last drink together. I'm trading him some derbys that I can't stand for some sharks. So I will have those to try in the future but will stick to everybody's suggestion and stay with the dorco 301 for a while first.

Dridecker likes this.