Comparing Razor Plating Services(With Pics)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 22, 2023.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is the 24k Gold E-1 Fatboy from Back Roads Gold. As above. Stunning, and flawless looking doors. The pictures do it no justice. There are shadows in the pictures, and a grainy look, that is not on the razor. I've never had a Gold Plated Fatboy, and I have to say, it looks great.
    Overall, a wonderful job, that I could find no flaws in.
    Total: $75 No Tax, and No Shipping Fees.

PB090125.JPG

PB090126.JPG

PB090130.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Tdmsu, SDK, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

I should have the Nickel plated Fatboy back from Chris Evatt (Razorplate.com), today or tomorrow. Pics to come soon.

3. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

If I had this done to a razor I would never use it again.

4. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

I''d like to know too. I have a razor that needs TLC and he was the one who greatly helped me previously.
    As far as replate work I can not recommend Chris Evatt / RazorPlate enough.

brit likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

Here is the d-4 Gillette Fatboy, before sending it to:
    Razorplate.com

This one out of the three in this forum was in the best condition, with minimal wear. There was some on the doors, but this was minimal. The photos I took were as good as the camera allowed.

PA290121.JPG

PA290120.JPG

PA290119.JPG

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

That gold plating looks beautiful!

7. DaltonGang

After replating by Razorplate.com
    Gillette D-4
    Fatboy
    Total cost, with shipping. $60.65.

In a lengthy conversation with Chris(Razorplate.com), he explained that he plates the razors to the original thickness of plating done by Gillette.
    The pictures are many, and I tried to show as many details as possible.

PB160132.JPG

PB160133.JPG

PB160134.JPG

PB160135.JPG

PB160136.JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    Tdmsu, Herm2502 and brit like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Any updates? How long has Razor Emporium had your razor?

Troy M likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Chris does a wonderful job. I also learned from him that Gillette plated fully assembled razors, not individual parts.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

It shipped yesterday. They said the ring was almost corroded away, so I guess I'll see what I have when it comes back this week.

Herm2502 and DaltonGang like this.
  11. DaltonGang

The ring under the dial? It looks pretty good to me. The Paint is still dark looking.

12. Troy M

went back and looked at the email. It said the red dot area was mostly corroded away. So we'll see early next week.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Troy M

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It came back today. I see what was meant by the red dot area mostly being gone. The dot itself is tiny. But the razor looks fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, DaltonGang and SDK like this.
  14. DaltonGang

The picture of the Toggle Razor looks nice. Overall, how is your impression of the job Razor Emporium did on this razor? Overplated, underplated, just right? One thing I've seen on some jobs is that they can buff too much, and smooth out the knurling on handles, or overplate and lose details.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    brit likes this.
  15. Troy M

It still has plenty of grip on the knurling and doesn't look over plated to me. My only other experience with replating was I had a couple of Gillette New razors plated in keracote and that was a completely different finish. I don't think the company that did that is still in business.
    I will examine the Toggle quite a bit over the next few shaves and come back with a more complete evaluation of the job RE did.

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

it looks nice.if replating made it an enjoyable functioning razor then win win.congrats.:):eatdrink047:

Troy M and DaltonGang like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I agree, whole heartedly. I'm just trying to put out there a list of plating services, to see which service does a better job.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i am glad to see you have had great results with the fatboys.they look excellent.:cool:i have a couple of razors i am on the fence about.one is my prized british Tech hybrid.the rhodium plating is a little thin on the safety bars so a hint of brass color shows through in certain lights.great shaver ,but.i have also seen some razors that have been poorly plated or overplated(wrinkly finish)
    i could easily be overthinking this,but once original is gone then it's gone.So far for me i have just chosen (and paid for it) better examples of my worn razors.either way,yours and others razors here look fantastic.i may get my canadian new sc redone in gold.its plating is poor and the razor isn't very valuable or historically significant..:):eatdrink047:

Troy M likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

The services that do the better jobs will do a reverse electroplating, which will remove the plating on the razor. This will save any detailing and knurling on the razor. I have had services, in the past, buff plating off, ruining details, and Knurling. I have also had a Razor service overplate ruining details and knurling.
    Both Razoplate.com and BackRoadsGold use the reverse electroplating methods. As for Razor Emporium, I'm not sure.
    I would like to see better focusing on @Troy M 's razor, to see the knurling on the handle. Too fuzzy of a picture.

Troy M and brit like this.
  20. Troy M

I'll see if I can get some better daylight and better pics in the next day or two. Holidays...

brit and DaltonGang like this.