Complete Collection of the Gillette Blade

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by shaved_*****, Jun 18, 2009.

1. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A DIGITAL COPY OF THIS COLLECTION, PLEASE READ STATEMENT AFTER PICTURES
    Well they finally arrived: the complete, bounded collection of the Gillette Blade. Most likely the only set in existence.

They came from the estate of Ada Hunt who was a long time Gillette employee since 1904. Here is a picture of the lovely lady who did such a wonderful job of collecting all the editions and preserving them.
    Ada Hunt:

The Gillette Blade was a company publication, or news letter which took the form of a magazine. There are 66 issues and the set also includes the very special 25th Silver Jubilee Edition.

The information in these books far exceeded my expectations and here is my pathetic attempt of a preview:for these is to digitally scan every single page so that the content will be preserved for all time.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A DIGITAL COPY OF THIS COLLECTION, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT

Thank you to all those who have all ready expressed an interest and send payment for a subscription. I'm asking for money in advance so that I can relieve some financial strain of buying the books in the first place and gather funds to pay for the process of scanning.

The initial format/media for the collection will be high resolution jpegs via a website (currently being built). I think this format being available is important because it would enable you to insert the images into posts/discussions on your favorite shaving forum(s). Not too long down the road the documents will be made into PDFs and put through an Optical Character Recognition program so that words will be recognized. This will be incredibly powerful for you doing research on something in particular; you will be able to use a search function to find the use of certain words or phrased within the document(s).

With this project I have two interests: optimizing accessibility and covering costs. In the struggle to balance these two interests I have settled with the minimal (full access) subscription price of $10 (one time payment). Copy Writes are no longer held on these documents and the time and costs of getting everything up and running is substantial. This is cheaper than downloading an album from itunes and with that 9 out of 10 times you get music that you wish you never heard again. There are 66 issues and with the website there will be free access to dozens of Gillette product catalogs and hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of Gillette print ads.

For access to the Blade issues please paypal $10 to ************* If you are inspired to give more, anything else will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you have any questions, please email me. Thanks!

2. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Outstanding! That collection belongs in a museum! Congrats on your acquisition.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow! That's amazing. I'd like a copy.

4. Singapura

Singapura Member

That looks so great! I'm in for a copy.

5. Batmang

Batmang New Member

Great find and offer...I'd be interested in a digital copy.

TIA

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Amazing! I would love to have a copy. Thanks very much.

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

What format were you planning to use for the digital copies?
    PDF?

8. Larry T

Larry T Member

I would like a copy, too. Let us know the details, please. :drool

Larry

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

What a great find! I would sure like to have a digital copy if and when available.
    Congrats on your aquistion!

10. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

:shocked003 :shocked003 :shocked003 What a find!! I too would be interested in a copy. Thank you very much for not only sharing in this post, but offering to share and preserve this piece of history as well. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar of the blade. :1respect

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow! I would certainly be interested in a digital copy as well!

Thanks!

12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

What a fantastic find! Congratulations! I would dearly love a digital copy of this amazing compilation. Thanks for offering.

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

WOW!!!:eek::eek:Im speechless now,thanks goodness that I can write!:DThats a WONDERFUL encyclopedia man.FANTASTIC FIND!!!Im also would like to see a digital copy of it.THANKS for sharing with us!

14. Moe

Moe Active Member

Incredible find. Very nice. Yes, since I won't have to find shelf sapce in the shave den, i'd love a copy. Thanks for the offer.

15. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

16. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Im in! Very nice! Just drove by the Gillette plant in Boston last weekend. Doesnt appear they have renovated it since the 20's;) Still pretty cool!

17. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Very nice find. So $10 would get the full pdf. file and photo file? If so I am in!!!!

18. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Yes, please count me in and thank you for sharing. A very generous offer.

19. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

If you are interested is having access to all 66 issues, please send payment to ******** as noted above. Thanks!

20. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

You've got PayPal!!