Comprehensive Guide to Lathering soaps, creams, shavesticks in a bowl and on the face

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by heirkb, Oct 21, 2009.

1. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Great post--wish I had consulted this before "learning" on my own. (trial and error, and error, and error etc.)

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

that is part of the fun. :D

Learn how you like to do it.

3. redsurfer

redsurfer New Member

Thanx

Thank you so much for your post, I have just started and was adding WAY too much water and all my lathers were runny :sad029
    For my next shave i am looking forward to a nice thick creamy lather! :happy108

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for ya. If not can always do some more :D. You also will get lots of practice. Can always add water but can't take it out.

5. secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel New Member

Nice post up add a lot of light to the subject.

6. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Thanks for this very clear guide! I'm a noob to DE Safety razors/wet shaving (my wife got me an Art of Shaving starter kit in Sandlewood along with an Edwin Jagger razor and a slew of different kinds of blades AND a shaving soap to try in addition to the tube of cream included in the kit for Christmas) and I have been getting a pretty good, consistent lather with the cream but I have not been able to get any kind of decent lather out of the soap. I tried it again this morning before work (I'm almost out of cream and there isn't anywhere nearby to buy good shaving creams I don't think ;( ) and I was starting to think that maybe my brush was too dry for getting a good lather with soap. SO glad I found this thread before trying again tomorrow or I would've been heading in the completely wrong direction!

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

If you have a Bath & Body Works near you, they sell C.O. Bigelow, which is rebranded Proraso. Also Rite-Aid carries, The Real Shaving Co. cream and that is suppose to be pretty good.

8. coche1

Yeah, we do have several Bath & Body Works nearby. I had thought about checking there, but my wife said she didn't think they sold any men's products. Thanks for the tip, I'll actually be in a mall that has a BBW this weekend.

tomnat likes this.
  9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Just to make sure you know that it's on sale, take a look at This Thread Here!

coche1 likes this.
  10. coche1

Perfect, thanks for the heads-up!

11. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

thats a great guide...thanks for putting all that effort into it for anyone who needs the tips...

12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I think this was excellent. I am three weeks into DE safety razor wet shaving and have creams in tubs, soaps, creams in tubes, stick soap, clear thin lotions and even an oil, so I need to know the various ways that work and this showed me.

13. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Very helpful, the videos are good, but this just seemed to make it clear a little more concisely.

14. Buffnut07

Buffnut07 New Member

Awesome post! Easily walked me through my first "lather building" routine this morning. Not only do I love shaving with a brush and soap but making the lather was fun too!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Thanks for the great post! Definitely helped me with my :signs002: regarding Shavesticks about 15 minutes ago!

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    VideoGames likes this.
  17. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. Rafen

Rafen Member

Great post. This was very informative and answered a bunch of questions I had about making lather.

19. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Nice post man. Just picked up a lot of information while enjoying my morning coffee.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs097:! Informative,fun and with very :signs154:. Keep up the good work.....:)