Comprehensive guide to the Gillette Aristocrat Junior razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, May 12, 2016.

1. lmt200

lmt200 New Member

Just picked this up today. Aluminum, gold plated and made in England. No case with it though. Its a lighter colour gold than any Gillette I have seen though. Slightly rounded bottom. 20180125_133017.jpg 20180125_133032.jpg

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, I thought those were called an HD 500 paper clip Rocket? I'm probably wrong though. I'm wrong a lot lately. Whatever they call it, I bet it shaves great.

PatrickA51, brit, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  3. lmt200

lmt200 New Member

Oh, could be I will look it up thanks. I hadn't heard of the HD 500 paper clip Rocket before or that these came in aluminum. It is 29-30g.

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

1951 No52A Anniversary Set.JPG

brit likes this.
  5. lmt200

lmt200 New Member

Thats it, I now know what case to look for as well. Thanks.

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Here is an excerpt from the Rocket thread referenced in the beginning of this thread-

#9: Paperclip or LD (light duty) Rocket; this is an all aluminum HDRocket except for the post, side platesand silo doors. It is much like thealuminum Rocket above, #1. Thisversion is more common and has anickname of the “Paperclip”, because itis said to be as light as…I’m sure you can guess. Stamped patent pending inthe blade tray, weighs in at 34 grams.

#10: Gold aluminum LD; this is muchlike the LD above except for the obvious gold color and the aluminum silo doors. These were anodized gold I believe and aren’t plated. Very light, both the LD Rocket’s are said to weigh less than an ounce. Marked the same as the LD and at 29 grams this is the second lightest Rocket.C

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    PatrickA51, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. lmt200

lmt200 New Member

Thanks, I will check this thread out. Its is #10 from this description because it is all aluminum and 29g.

PatrickA51, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

#58 with 694093 pat number, loop in case , no visual II marking. 20180729_135317.jpg

Enrico, PatrickA51, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is the difference between the No 51 and No 53 Aristocrat Jr sets.
    From The Chemist and Druggist Volume 151 (23 Apr. 1949) pg 31

https://archive.org/details/b19974760M3770/page/30?q=gillette+regent

According to the ad, in 1949 the 53 set came with a silver finished Aristocrat Jr and the 51 set came with a nickel plated Aristocrat Jr.

PatrickA51, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Excellent. I've updated the OP to reflect this info.

brit and PatrickA51 like this.
  11. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I have noticed this difference in the Ebay auctions and wondered why the difference.
    So there are various grades of Junior Aristocrat? Very interesting.
    Does this mean that ALL #53 sets were silver finished?
    What is a silver finish? (Chrome?)

Might this help those buying a Junior to spot if the razor has been switched with a std nickel Rocket/Superspeed.

brit likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Means it was silver plated. Which means the Nickel plated ones are likely to be in the best shape. Gold and silver plated razors tend to lose the plating fastest.

Very few old razors were chrome plated. The Gem Micromatic and Cooper MonoBilt being two rare exceptions. The Coopers almost always look practically brand new, despite being nearly 100 years old. The gems...not so much.

brit likes this.
  13. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

interesting Ad. Thanks for sharing!

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

After looking at this ad which was run in 1949 and 1950 in England I am going to walk back the silver plate as the difference between the no 51 and no 53 sets.

If you read the description for these Aristocrat sets the no 16 is " highly polished" and the no 22 is " heavily plated". I interpret that to be the the no 16 has a satin mirror like finish and the no 22 a flat matte like finish. Same plating different finish and that is most likely what is being referred to for the no 51 and no 53 Aristocrat Jr sets.

Ad from the Manchester Observer Dec. 4th 1949
    49adeh.jpg

15. BlueShaver

The #16 and #22 are Aristocrats. The Junior Aristocrats are a different beast.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is not the point a satin or matte type finish is what is relevant here whether the plating is nickel or rhodium plate to achieve that type of finish is the same process.

BlueShaver likes this.
  17. BlueShaver

In the ad, it is referring to the case, not the razor.
    That said, as i understand it
    "Highly polished" is a high quality nickel plated razor (like the #58) and "heavily plated" is either rhodium or silver depending on the era.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Foot meet mouth, it is referring to the case. It is not always easy to read the small print on these.

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Well here is an ad that makes case for the razors being different besides the cases.
    1948%20Price%20list%20Australia-01.jpg

Besides the obvious case differences the more expensive one is heavily rhodium plated and the less expensive than plain old rhodium plated one. To me that refers to if not finish then whether one is thin plated or thick plated i.e. micron thickness of plating. Now back to the Aristocrat Jr razors. Unless I am mistaken Gillette stopped silver plating razors in the 30s so in this case silver finish should mean a special type of nickel plating called nickel silver.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

So it is not whether the Aristocrat Jr razors were nickel plated or not but the type of plating besides the cases they were sold in.

Here are some examples of what a Nickel Silver also referred to as German Silver finish would look like.
    https://leisure.onehowto.com/article/how-to-clean-nickel-silver-413.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Willem_Lenssinck_-_Formula_I_Racing_Horse.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is what nickel silver plating which has no silver in it looks like.

Here is my Popular which the handle portion is nickel silver while the collar and head are standard nickel plate next to a Schick B1 which is silver plated. They look similar have the same type of sheen to them. The only way to tell them apart is to shine a bright light on them. Silver is much more reflective.
    r1.jpg

Now here is another side by side with the Popular, B1 and 46 Ranger Tech which is standard nickel plate.
    r2.jpg

If the 2nd gen Aristocrat Jr razor looks like the Popular it belongs in a No 53 set made in at least 1949 and 1950.

If it looks like that Ranger Tech then it belongs in a No 51 set made in at least 1949 and 1950.

PLANofMAN likes this.