Convex Hones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s called a Gold Dollar John !

DaltonGang and JPO like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was referring to the school training.

...and if the only way to get better at honing razors is to do it, wouldn't it stand to reason that once they've honed 30,000 razors, they would be fairly good at it as well, no matter the degree of training beforehand?
    ...and gold dollar enters the debate...

macaronus and Steve56 like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Normally yes, but if you have an artificially imposed time limit that would as we say, put a hitch in your get along.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I think, for the ease of lather, the slickness, and the pleasant scent, ARKO wins, hands down. Besides, Williams smells like mosquito repellent.
    :D

macaronus, Steve56 and JPO like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1676146613645.JPEG
    One of the more unusual pieces in my collection. An unground straight razor blank. Always thought about taking it over to Portland Razor Co. and seeing if they wanted to finish it.

Edit: Either that, or attaching it to my keychain.

macaronus, Keithmax, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

John, I’ve always been under the impression that the lightening of the pressure creates a convex bevel, not a concave one, but the three bands look similar in images. In the image that Jerry did for me, those straight striae at the shoulder are from back-and-forth Japanese style strokes at bevel setting pressure. The middle band is just from bevel refinement, and the area at the apex eith angled striae is from a rolling x stroke at feather weight pressure.

I hone most razors the same way regardless of grind. It creates a durable bevel, much as Glen alluded to with a micro bevel. BTW Glen, I’m just plain lazy, if I get a razor like the one that you described, I just slap some tape on it until it takes the edge. Anyway, I got 67 shaves from a Filly Doble Temple and 153 shaves from a Fill Sub cero. And yes I pushed the Sub Cero edge a little because I was doing some secondary strop testing, and you’ll notice differences in strops easier with a high mileage edge. Still, 120-130 would have been more like it.

Why even bother doing this? I’d read forum posts that the Doble Temple and the Sub Cero/Novodur were the same steel/tempering with different graphics, so I decided to do edge longevity tests to find out. They’re not the same, the Sub Cero lasts about twice as long as normal double tempered razor steel.

Here’s what I think that I’m making.

9B351DF4-E2EE-4EB8-A5DA-394E10D23F96.jpeg

macaronus and Keithmax like this.
  7. JPO

JPO Active Member

In my example I did it deliberately. I did a touch up on the razor using firm pressure with koma slurry. Then I used light pressure on the tomo slurry. If you gradually ease up on the pressure, you will create a convex bevel.
    I am not sure what you did. It sure looks like you flexed the bevel enough at one stage, which enabled you to work on the front part of the bevel during finishing.
    If you use a convex stone this can be controlled, because you can apply pressure and flex the bevel without digging into the stone, which can result in edge chipping or dulling the apex on a flat stone.

PLANofMAN and Steve56 like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m not sure either because I don’t use a microscope. But I know that what I do works, and the edge is durable.

JPO likes this.
  9. JPO

JPO Active Member

These jnat edges leaves enough texture on the edge to cut well without needing to be that refined. They are still skin friendly and durable.
    Edges from super hard jnats can be a little too much for my skin. I shave daily, so I need to find a good balance.

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It isn’t the hardness. I have several super hard JNats - as in 5 minutes to raise a slurry with an equally hard tomo. But fantastic smooth edges. Other hard ones, and soft ones not so much.

Skin friendliness (and fineness) depends on the specific stone, not the hardness.

PLANofMAN and JPO like this.
  11. JPO

JPO Active Member

I have a small Nakayama Mizu Asagi I am considering cutting up as tomo nagura. It is hard hard and fine, but will not give good edges. It was a cheap stone, and was not sold as a razor finisher.
    I also have a Shobudani that is stupid hard, but feels grate, and gives good smooth edges.
    It seems like you get what you pay for if you find a good seller.

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It will not make a good tomo for razors.

Slurry it with a diamond plate and use it for small knives and tools.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Yep same here, but I was asked to test this one by the Custom Maker
    So I was doing a stage by stage comparison

I also agree that Master grinders as few as there are,, certainly are not honing, I doubt they ever were

Steve56 likes this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes sir!

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I guess that would depend on how many people are doing the job of making razors. A forger, a grinder, a polisher, a honer, a scale maker, a razor fitter. How many of those hats are worn by how many people?

Steve56 likes this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Sure, it depends on the size of the shop. Ralf Aust is a one man shop (with his wife assisting with the business), Dovo is big.

This is a good read to get a good perspective of Solingen razor manufacturing.

https://sharprazorpalace.com/razor-...-master-straight-razor-grinding-solingen.html

Look at the third image in post #2. I have one of those, but it’s a Dreifus, Kayser Ellison steel instead of the Sistrum’s Böhler steel. And yes, it’s ground that thin. You don’t need any more flex. Honing it will make your pucker factor go way up, you can’t put any pressure on this razor, it just takes a lot of time because it won’t stand any pressure.

Karl G and JPO like this.
  17. Kyle89

Kyle89 New Member

*First post* :)

Regarding convex hones, currently I'm not in the market for anymore stuff (at least for a while), but for someone looking to get into giving it a try, where does one start? I do not want to modify any of the stones in my current progression.

Are there ways to modify stones without the need to purchase a new fancy lapping plate?

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well, you’re either going to have to lap a stone or buy a stone unless you DIY.

If you lap a stone with loose grit (cheap), it will be slightly convex, and you can carefully smooth the surface with sandpaper or a small rubbing stone to the finish desired. Depending on your stones, you might be able to convex one side and keep the other flat, though you might need a towel under the stone with the convex side down on a hard surface. I’ve been told by the convex stone advocates (without any proof) that this method isn’t good enough, though my straight edge says otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oh, and welcome @Kyle89 - I recognize you from another forum. Good to see you here.

20. Kyle89

Kyle89 New Member

Thanks for the welcome Steve! Nice to see you too. Thanks for the reply. That does sound possible to hopefully "eyeball" things, and curious if others have done something similar without buying a new plate.

And for those who have dabbled in this voodoo witchcraft, how's stone maintenance?