Convince me which soap maker I should try next

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

You had me at the PB&J analogy. A perfectly mixed PB&J is a wonder to behold.

Tiredricefarmer and John Beeman like this.
  2. SharptoothC

I've received three so far: two via PIF and one via trade. They are Frost Byte, Cavendish and Cool Spices.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

You might check out Wholly Kaw soaps. Their performance is top notch for me, right with Stirling, Route 66, or TSD. The Jamestown Gentleman scent is terrific, based on tobacco. I have three Chypre Rose Concerto AS, and if the soap matches the scent, and if you like floral scents, it is also great. The Monaco Royale soap is one of my favorite all time soaps, but it is slightly outside the $20 point.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A few I have that I didn't see you list:

Soap Commander
    Stubble Trubble
    Jeeves of Hudson St

All of these are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would also agree with Stubble Trubble.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. SharptoothC

Most mentioned here are ones I would like to try. For this round, I went with a stick of TSD Bourbon Vanilla.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BaylorGator likes this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

8. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

That west Coast Shaving teamed up with Phoenix Shaving to develop the new soaps ...... they certainly did.

9. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I recently purchased The Holy Black Gunpowder Spice Soap and Aftershave. I have to say I really enjoy the scent, the performance for me has been incredible. Very slick , nice post shave. The Aftershave Tonic scent lasts pretty much all day. Soap is $18.99 and the Aftershave is $24.99 , but a bigger bottle than what you normally get from other Artisans

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Stick with what you have.

Shaver X likes this.
  11. SharptoothC

That's the sensible answer. But the thrill of the hunt is a bit addictive.

12. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

You could try a soap from Russell, at the Wild West Shaving Co. Russell is a farmer and a new soap maker, who is starting to get rave reviews for his new range of soaps. I was one of the chaps to help Russell with testing and feedback on his initial attempts. His soap comes in 2oz pucks for $6.99.

https://www.ecwid.com/store/wildwestshavingco/

There's a great review on Badger and Blade. I think it's post #15. Rather annoyingly, you guys in America are shaving with it before me. My soap is stuck in customs!

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/wild-west-shaving-co.527781/

There are already a slew of reviews on YouTube too or you can check out Russell himself - The Outlaw Shaver.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

I agree, the thrill is so addictive but at the end of the day I really think that most artisan soaps are all good. I still look for new or interesting scents.

Paul Turner, Shaver X and SharptoothC like this.
  14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'm not a believer in convincing others (it's your shave, not mine) but I miss TFS on your list.

Shaver X likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Their website has been offline for several weeks, but there is a September 22 post on their Facebook page. It shows them making a batch of soap, so it looks like they are still a going concern.

17. Shaver X

My experience is that most artisan soaps have a disappearing lather problem, often the Achilles heel on an otherwise good product. At least that is true for the artisan soaps I have tried, most of which are seldom if ever mentioned on the forums. There have been a stellar few that made it worth all the effort, though.

There are thousands of artisan soapmakers in the US alone. Even if 99 percent of them suck, that still leaves hundreds that are good, with a great many still undiscovered. @SharptoothC, if you are looking for the thrill of the hunt, why not try artisan soaps unknown on the forums? The worst case scenario is that you get a great bath soap. For those soaps that work really well for shaving, you could write a review and let the rest of us know what you have found. Just a thought, for what it is worth.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I visited the site, however they don't have shave soap listed anymore.

19. RaZorBurn123

I totally agree with you, so many little jewels are out there that the mainstream never talks about it. Bronson Shaving soap is one I have, well had.. my son took it. And in most cases you'll find them for under $15, and guess what? They treat you like a customer who is helping their business grow.

20. SharptoothC

I just sprung on a new maker. I will be sure and report back.