Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

I am still working out my Dutch Baby skill set

last one was pretty close, might have to try one this weekend as we are seeing some fresh berries at the stores

Sara-s likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Good luck!

Sara-s likes this.
  3. richgem

I swear by this:
    Crisbee Stik® Cast Iron and Carbon Steel Seasoning - Family Made in USA - The Cast Iron Seasoning Oil & Conditioner Preferred by Experts - Maintain a Cleaner Non-Stick Skillet https://a.co/d/e84Q1Sn

And a "chain mail" scrubber

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use the chain mail scrubber too- keeps my chain mail nice & clean. ;)

I make my own seasoning paste with Grapeseed oil & beeswax.

PLANofMAN, BamaT, sol92258 and 2 others like this.
  5. richgem

No one wants rusty chain mail.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    @Sara-s @richgem
    @anyone else who wants to chime in,

What's your Dutch Baby recipe of choice?

This video made it seem pretty easy.

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Have the scrubber, but gonna look into that product, and beeswax in general. My most used skillets and dutch oven are in good shape, after cleaning I heat it on the stove to fully dry it, and while it's still hot add another spoon of lard, let it melt and wipe it all over then wipe of excess. But the lesser used ones I may employ this method.

By the way, you sure to swear by a lot of sticks.....cast iron stick, shampoo stick....:D

BamaT and richgem like this.
  8. richgem

:D

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK @Queen of Blades here’s my recipe;
    • Dutch Baby Pancake
    • Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • Powdered sugar, maple syrup, and jam, for serving

EQUIPMENT
    • Mixing bowl & whisk
    • Spatula
    • Measuring cup & spoon
    • 9- or 10-inch oven-safe skillet

INSTRUCTIONS

• Blend the batter: Place the flour, sugar & salt in a large bowl. Whisk together. Add milk & whisk until smooth.
    • Add eggs & vanilla. Whisk again, until smooth.
    • The batter will be quite loose and liquidy.
    • Rest the batter: Leave the batter in the bowl, cover and set aside to rest 20 to 25 minutes. This gives the flour time to absorb the liquid.
    • Heat the pan and oven: Meanwhile, place a 9 to 10-inch oven safe skillet on the middle rack of the oven and remove any racks above it. Heat the oven to 425°F.
    • Melt the butter: When ready to make the pancake, remove the skillet from the oven using oven mitts and place it on top of the stove. Add the butter and swirl the pan to melt the butter and coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
    • Add the batter: Pour the batter on top of the butter. Tilt the pan if needed so that the batter runs evenly to all sides. Place the skillet in the oven.
    • Bake the Dutch baby: Bake until the Dutch baby is puffed, lightly browned across the top, and darker brown on the sides and edges, 15 to 20 minutes.
    • Serve while hot: You can either serve from the pan or transfer the Dutch baby to a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup or jam.

BamaT, gssixgun and Queen of Blades like this.
  10. richgem

My recipe is a bit simpler and slightly different amounts ... will post later or tomorrow.

BamaT likes this.
  11. richgem

Ok here we go...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...lla-dutch-baby-puffed-pancake-recipe2-1960690

Tips...
    Make this in a 10" ish cast iron pan not a skillet

Think of this like making Yorkshire pudding you want the oven and the pan super hot and waste no time getting that batter into the pan once the oven comes to temperature. You don't want to lose any more temperature than you have to.

The milk does not necessarily have to be microwaved but does need to be at least room temperature.

Finally some recipes suggest combining everything with a whisk. I find a blender or an immersion blender to be best. You want to incorporate air into the batter so that you get a good rise.

These are good served with fresh fruit and or a little whipped cream but I also like plain white sugar and lemon juice. You can also go savory with bacon Etc

Edit: based on a tip from one of the recipe commentors, I set my oven for 425, not 400.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I got my sweetie a "Cook it all" by Lodge. Specifically for our camper. Thanks to the pandemic, we didn't camp at all last year. So it's a 2-yr old, still-in-the-box Cook-it-all. Supposedly you can cook a multi-course meal with it, all at once. My lovely bride can't find any info or recipes for doing such a thing, though. Anybody aware of a "Cook-it-All" knowledge database?
    Thanks,
    - Hungry Bax

PanChango likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Bax sorry, but I am not familiar with that pot.

I just got a 15” carbon steel comal- a big Mexican griddle for making my tortillas. It’s large enough for 2 burners, so I can make 4 tortillas at a time. But it does heat differently than cast iron & I need to get used to that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    BamaT likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Aside from my Dutch Oven, I have switched to primarily using Carbon Steel. I hope you don't mind a CS post here.

Having spent most of my time in Pennsylvania, I am a fan of scrapple. For those unfamiliar, here is a link to the wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple). Recently I saw a recipe for a mushroom based vegan scrapple posted by a chef I worked for right after university. It was originally from one of his restaurants in SF in the 1980s. It turned out pretty well for my first attempt. Here are a few slices crisping up in my Darto N.27.

IMG_20230806_073524186.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    jluc and BamaT like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Carbon steel pan question: I purchased a 10” Lodge carbon steel pan at their outlet in Seveirville, TN some time back. I didn’t notice if it came this way, but the center is raised, in a convex manner. I have continued to season it, and it cooks well as long as I don’t mind cooking around the edges away from the center. Has anyone else found this in a Lodge CS pan? Did I perhaps heat it too fast and high initially? Or did I just get a dud? I’d really like to switch more to CS, but I don’t like that convex center.

PanChango likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@PanChango I think CS fits into this thread as it is similar in usage. I recently got a large CS comal for making my tortillas. It is big enough to cover 2 burners & make 4 tortillas at a time. Given its size, I don't think I would want cast-iron, due to the weight.

PanChango likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Darto does that to make sure the pans sit flush on your stove top. It is not enough for me to notice or cause issues while cooking. I have only had Lodge Cast Iron so unfortunately, I cannot speak on their CS. Generally when I have ramped up the heat too quickly and warped a pan, it was the other way causing it to be a spinner. With a glass top electric stove, a spinner is not easily usable.

BamaT likes this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Made a pepperoni deep dish on the kamado tonight in the Darto N.27 paella pan. Turned out pretty well.

DeepDish1.jpg

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve since found out that Lodge does that for the same reason as Darto. The more I cook with seasoned carbon steel, the better I like it. I probably reach for it probably 2 or 3 times more than cast iron. Much lighter, just as non stick, and heats up and cools down quicker. The next time we’re in the Smoky Mountains, I’ll likely get the 10” carbon steel pan (last post had a typo, my current pan is 12” not 10”), and perhaps also the carbon steel griddle for use on the grill. I’ve given some thought to a Blackstone, but with the Lodge griddle, I can achieve the same results and keep the versatility of the grill.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    jluc likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I made a batch of yellow corn tortillas on the carbon-steel comal this morning. I just now made a new batch of seasoning paste.

jluc likes this.