Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Had some fantastic ribeye steaks this evening, grilled on the Lodge cast iron, on the propane burner. :drool:

IMG_20210709_165751c.jpg IMG_20210709_165745a.jpg IMG_20210709_170159b.jpg

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got the 8” skillet & square griddle today. As I type, I am baking some buttermilk biscuits in the skillet. Pic when they’re done.

OK they’re finally done. Recipe needs some tweaking, but here they are; 94A045E1-399D-4849-B317-6A9CA2B0942A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    battle.munky, Zykris, b1hart and 6 others like this.
  3. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Somehow I missed this thread. Been cooking with cast iron about as long as I’ve been wet shaving. I started with a 10” Lodge pan, but that grew into 6 or 7 pieces. I use it pretty much every day.

A few months ago, while visiting the in-laws, my wife volunteered me to make French Toast one morning, since that’s one of my specialties at home. I had to use a regular pan. I was lost, and totally wrecked that breakfast.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Last night, we made pork teriyaki. It's cut up into small pieces, marinated & quick-fried with some veggies. We add shredded carrots & sliced water chestnuts. Tonight, we are trying fried chicken.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

How timely! My lovely bride has been searching for a cookbook for her Lodge "Cook it All" device (can be used as a grill, griddle, skillet, wok, Dutch oven, or pizza oven) over a campfire. This clever cast iron device will let you do multiple things at once (according to the advertising videos on their site). But she can't find any cookbooks that tell you how to DO any of those cool multitasking things. Anybody got hints/tips on where to find "how to multitask with a Cook-it-All over a campfire?" That way, she can do the cookin' while I'm tacking up a mirror to a nearby tree so I can shave. (See how I tied the thread back to "shaving" there? Clever!)
    Thx,
    - Bax

gssixgun, IAmTheJody and jluc like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    How did I miss this thread :(

Cast Iron and Carbon Steel wall almost 100% Lodge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you don't have a Chick-fil-a within 60 miles you learn to make it yourself

Lodge Combo Cooker my newest piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hehehe Mine has the cheese Mmmmmmm

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's like walking into a cooking store.:drool:

gssixgun likes this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

LOL Yeah pretty much,,, I like to cook, definitely not a collector, just a Home Cook
    I use it all CI CS and SS

[​IMG]

battle.munky, jluc and richgem like this.
  9. richgem

To many great meals in good health!

gssixgun likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My 2-burner Lodge griddle comes today. Looking forward to french toast on that one. Tonight, fried chicken in the big skillet.

Zykris, jluc and richgem like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

gssixgun likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Never heard of it but sounds interesting. Definitely something I need to check out.

13. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Absolutely positively the best example of ‘anything worth doing…is worth overdoing’ mantra I’ve seen for ‘all things iron’ for cooking.

:happy096:

:signs021:

:smiley respect:

Terry likes this.
  14. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

My wife got me one of those a couple of years ago. I didn’t think it would work on my glass-top stove, but it works fine. I hate cleaning the ribbed side though.

15. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    It was a strange transition out of Coated pans

The wife and I had bought sets of them over the years, culminating in rather expensive set of the Analon Bronze which after it was all said and done we had almost $700 wrapped into
    I will admit it lasted longer than most but after about 5 years we started seeing the coating flake up on the most used pieces, it was kinda of disappointing since we had taken very good care of them.

I had my 12" Lodge Skillet and my Grill/Griddle Plate out in the Hunting boxes, and I decided that day I would never buy another coated pan again.
    I started ordering in the different pans and was hitting the sales on Walmart com.
    Pretty soon we had a nice collection going and we were nowhere near what we had spent on just the Analon set.
    I found the Carbon Steel and bought all 4 pans that Lodge had at that point in time again the full set was on sale and I barely broke the $100 mark :)
    The Stainless Steel was the hardest decision, There were so many to chose from and the prices were cheap to staggering
    Finally Khols made my mind up, they had the RevereWare set on clearance so I popped for it, added another clearance set of 10" skillet and the 2 qt pot and we were done. I wish I had bought their Pasta pot when I could :(

That started 7 years ago, I haven't added much since then
    Pie Pan when the wife was gifted a crapload of Huckleberries, my only Non-Lodge CI
    I added the Enameled DO specifically for Stew, Chili, Italian Sauces, and Gumbo
    We just added the Chicken Fryer Combo this year, we couldn't find Store Bought Fried Chicken that wasn't so salty we could barely eat it. Decided to make our own.
    Some of the odd pieces were gifts from friends that go Yard "Sailing" :p One of my most prized is the Square pan that makes a near perfect Grilled cheese Sammie LOL

I think somewhere over the last 7 years we might have broken the $500 mark with everything up there, the best part is barring any REALLY stupid moves we will never have to replace any of it

DrStrange, b1hart, Terry and 2 others like this.
  16. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Saturday Morning Huckleberry Pancakes
    Lodge 11" Griddle pan
    So good !!!

Shan brought home the Hucks from work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

We don't have them on the east coast. They look similar to blueberries. Do they taste similar?

18. richgem

PanChango likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks

richgem likes this.
  20. richgem

My pleasure

PanChango likes this.