Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Mid last year we bought one of the Ninja DT201 combo ovens. Easy to operate (wifey/kids love), heats up very quickly, and best of all, does not leak heated air anywhere as much as the unit it replaced. We have in the laundry room (adjacent to kitchen in our house), saves counter space. There is a 'Pro' version that has a thermometer, but wasn't a feature we'd use. Found at the local Wally World for same price as online. Just a little user tip (if you go this route).....it is so efficient that we usually knock off about 15-20% most cook times.

Tdmsu, Edison Carter and jluc like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The wife and I have talked about getting an air fryer in the past but never got around to picking one up. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Air fryers can do certain things very well. I love air-fryer chicken. When I marinate in buttermilk & bread it, it’s crisp outside & nice & moist inside. I also love it for wings.

But back to cast iron…I just made a Monte Cristo sandwich with ham, Munster & garlic aioli on the griddle.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

That sounds delicious!
    Were going to do cheesesteaks for dinner. Sautéed onions, peppers and mushrooms with shaved beef smothered with mozzarella. No bread though. We try to keep our carb count low.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I made a grilled beef and cheese on my cast iron skillet and it was delicious. I used meat from a less than ideal grilling of beef chuck roast so it would not go to waste.

IAmTheJody, jluc and Sara-s like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Brunch. Leftover cheesesteak scramble in the Smithey.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Today was just a ham & cheese sandwich on the griddle. Simple but still yummy. When I grill them, I also put the bacon press on the top side of the bread.

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Dinner
    Pork chops sous vide to cast iron sear and Spanish rice (cauliflower) done in enameled cast iron:

[​IMG]

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Gumbo-

Lodge 5.5 qt Enameled Dutch Oven
    Lodge 12" Skillet
    Revere Wear - 12" Brazier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a Dry Roux for this, it cuts out over a 1/2 cup of pure fat in the Gumbo and still gives that toasty flavor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu, jluc, b1hart and 2 others like this.
  10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Had to break out the real pie pan hehehe

Fresh peaches on sale yesterday, Peach Pie tonight for dessert, of course I forgot the damn Whupped Cream, had to run to the store and get some

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@gssixgun you went to all that trouble to make a nice pie & then used store-bought whipped cream?

battle.munky, Tdmsu, jluc and 2 others like this.
  12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Well I didn't go milk the darn Cow :p

I bought the carton of Heavy Cream at the store and whupped it in the mixer :p

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    b1hart, battle.munky, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, I was picturing you using a can of (yuck!) Redi whip.

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Taco salads for dinner:

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    YUM !!! That Taco Salad makes me want Apache Fry Bread Street Tacos Hmmmmmmmm

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Oh goodness! You got me wanting some fry bread now! I load up on it every year when the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians has their annual Choctaw Fair on their reservation near Philadelphia, Mississippi. They cook it right there in front of you and it is simply fantastic and yummmmm!

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@IAmTheJody I have never had fry bread. Can you describe this?

battle.munky, richgem and jluc like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's basically fried corn meal. Has a nutty, flavorful taste. Faint hint of corn flavor. They beat dried corn into a cornmeal in a big wooden bowl. Then place the cornmeal into a cast iron pot full of boiling water, hanging over a fire, and make a thick dough with it. Then they remove it and separate into small cakes in which they then put into a big cast iron pot, hanging over a fire, full of hot grease, and fry it until nice and golden. It is then served to you now days with local honey drizzled all over it.

That's the basics of it. Back in the day, ingredients depended on what commodities they had. Sometimes they would add salt to it if they had salt. Sometimes they didn't have honey so they would use another sweet syrup such as sorghum or maple depending on the location and season.

battle.munky and jluc like this.
  19. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

It really is good ain't it :)

I giggled when I got the recipe, My sister is a Minister and her and my BiL have a small group of Apache that they minister to. When I showed interest in making the old styles of bread she got me a recipe..
    They told her to make SURE I understood that this was APACHE frybread not that other stuff :p
    Seemed to be the same ingredients/recipe as I found on YouTube, but I make sure I tell everyone mine is genuine APACHE frybread hehehe

I have made a few of the old "FryBreads" Johnny Cakes , Hoe Cakes, Bannock Bread etc: really fun

battle.munky, jluc and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

svchkskil.jpg

12" Lodge

Chicken for one of our kid's favorites, Chicken Stroganoff. Revamped the recipe.

Sous Vide 3 lbs Chicken Thighs for ~4.5 hours at 150 degrees, tablespoon of Italian seasoning in each bag (chicken was done in two bags, 1.5 pounds each).

Drained the bag*, seared chicken in olive oil for ~10-12 minutes.

Served with Rice (kids), cauliflower riced (adults), green beans and chicken stroganoff sauce.

Super tender & moist, with a slight crunch. Everyone liked a bit better than the 'old' way (slow cooker, chicken gets a bit stringy/tough).

We're thinking this is our new style for very quick chicken as a main course. Total time involvement is ~20-25 minutes. ~10 to setup the Sous Vide, ~10-12 for the sear.

*Chicken stock from the bag, dogs licked their bowls clean, TWICE. We did let it cool to room temp first.