Cooper Razor Anyone?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by onotoman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. onotoman

onotoman Member

Hi Guys,

I found this US-Made Cooper Razor a while ago and tried it again this morning (after a break from it) and it still shaves as good as I remember. It has an interesting loading/locking mechanism too - it has a collet type lock that tightens/loosens by turning the end of the handle.

Anyone else use one of these - it's the first I've come across?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I had one once upon a time. It was missing some teeth and was not a comfortable shave. They are certainly a neat little razor.

They come up every now and then on the FS list over on B&B. There are several threads over there about them as well.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, I had one of these at one time as well. Decent shaver. Liked the flip-open head cap. I remember someone sold a mint NOS one on eBay last year it went for around $120. The 3-piece Cooper razor is a decent shaver as well.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I will have to check when I get home. However, I am pretty sure I have a Cooper 3 piece razor as well. However, mine won't take a DE blade.

5. IAmTheJody

The one I had must've been a later model because it took modern DE blades and I saw nothing in the razor design to indicate it was for any other differently designed or proprietary blade.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Although this isn't my razor, I googled it, I have both of these razors as home and both them almost, but don't quite, take a DE blade.

[​IMG]

The center post is not a simple circle and a DE blade won't go on unless it is deformed. I tried just bending one to where it would fit once, but the blade was so badly warped the shave was bad.

7. IAmTheJody

I don't have mine anymore or the pictures of mine but the one on the bottom of this image is the one I had. DE blade fit it fine. Probably a newer model is my guess.

[​IMG]

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OK, I certainly don't see any reason that razor wouldn't take modern DE blades. Here is a picture of mine..

cooper 3 piece.jpg

Maybe you are right about the age. Mine is an open comb model.

9. IAmTheJody

Yeah, the center post on yours looks a couple of hairs thicker. So now we know there's at least 4 different razors from Cooper. Here's the 4th one:

[​IMG]

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

yup... at least 4 models. And on mine, if you look on the base plate, you can see that the post is an elongated hexagon, so even if you had a circular hole large enough for the one dimension, it would be too sloppy in the other.

I have found several different sites which have shown three different razors as the 1932 COOPER MONOBILT. LOL... it probably isn't any of them. Actually, if any of the models is a "mono", it it probably the swing gate model.

11. paydepst

paydepst Member

Not familiar with this one! Interesting razor.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't have one, but I have bid on and lost my share. :) Some pretty sharp razors.

13. onotoman

onotoman Member

Looks like there were a few Cooper Models including 3 piece ones. This one-piece looks pretty complicated to make, so I would presume that they were expensive when new.

As indicated, it's a great shaver and mine does indeed take a standard DE blade.