Corking Double Edge Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Scorpio, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

There has been discussions about this new method of treating a DE blade before use.

anyone familiar with this method? not that I am going to try it since I shave with straight razors.

Has anyone notice any difference on the blades when using this method?

Discuss...

Raf

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

As I understand the theory being that it takes any burring off the new blade and makes them shave ready. I have not tried this but am tempted to try this with a Feather blade since I find them to be a bit harsh. Some discussion has indicated that this might remove any coating that is on the blade but I have not seen any followups. There does not seem to be any consistancy as to the number of times you draw the blade over the cork. I have read anywhere between 1X and 4X. I'll go now and pull a cork on a bottle of "Red Truck" and have the cork ready for the morning to give it a try.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Corking....yep I have tried it.

1) Used a regular cork
    2) Used various blades, including Feather, Derby, Merkur
    3) Two "swipes", one away from me, one toward me; on each side of blade

Results:

1) Shortened life of blade
    2) Blade didn't cut as well as it would have normally (no corking)

I put the cork back in the pile with the rest of them, and I'm going to make a picture frame full of them one day. :D

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Never tried it, sounds dumb

Keep It simple folks, just shave baby!

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Sounds pretty useless to me. If you are desperate to say you shave with Feathers, then have at it.

Otherwise, buy Derby instead.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I just do not understand the need to dull and shorten the life of blade by running it through cork. If the darn thing is too sharp for you use another brand that suits you better. Even if I was still shaving with DE's I would not do this to a blade. Yeah like I want to turn my IP into a Merkur!!!!! oh yeah that sounds like a great idea:eek:

ok Merkur users are coming after me for that one:D

Raf

7. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I've done it a few times so far.

Twice with Feathers.

Once with a Derby.

Both of the Feathers gave great shaves from Day 1, and did not shorten the life of the blade (from what I could tell).

The Derby was pretty much the exact opposite. Didn't cut any hairs on my first (and only) pass, and I ended up trashing that one and using a fresh non-corked Derby.

So far, it's kind of "meh" for me. I'll probably keep at it for a few more times with Feathers, just to see if it can be consistent.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I didn't think much of it when I read it but said "what the heck" and I tried it on a couple of blades. Tossed the cork. The blades work fine without corking.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

This situation will not happen again in my section. If I see this again I will take immediate action. I don't care who they are. If you are unable to dicuss this issue as an adult I will lock the thread without question. It is a shame that some members can not behave as adults.

last opportunity...

Raf

10. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

My sincerest apologies to all.

I certainly didn't mean to offend or enrage anyone. For whatever it's worth, it won't happen again.

Thank you.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

allright,

water under the bridge...back to the discussion and sharing experiences with this new method of treating DE blades.

Raf

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ok, I did get around to trying this with a Feather. I couldn't tell anything except that it consumes time and could be dangerous.

13. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Me no Cork...mebbe u a Corker, me notta Corker. Gotta Cork but notta Corker.

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I think I like my blades sharp, so corking will not be the way I will ever go.