Corn Razor Tidbit

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Apr 14, 2009.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

In case you didn't know, we have been having a little discussion on the corn razor in another forum. I have been aware of this subset of safety razors for some time now, but never had the inkling to really delve into them. For those of you not aware, the function of the corn razor is to "shave" away corns which have developed on the foot. Appealing, no?

:D

A member of the other forum, St. George, had acquired the following razor and was wanting some info.

[​IMG]

I shared a number of examples of corn razors for comparison's sake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, while doing my research I came across a couple more interesting corn razors which I wanted to share in their own thread.

Here they are! These corn razors were introduced way back in 1991. :biggrin: That's right, 1991. And after you see the pictures I will do my very best Paul Harvey imitation and tell you the "rest of the story". ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These razors were manufactured in Mapleton, Illinois and featured sterling silver heads and accept wedge blades. Now, some of the old-timers here might recognize the mention of Mapleton as an oft mentioned razor aficionado hails from that very city. And, yes, they are one in the same. The manufacturer of these two corn razors is none other than ...

... Phillip L. Krumholz, author of the much referred to Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook!

And now you know the rest of the story.

:cool:

2. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

...and I still say that, if the heads are interchangeable with standard Gillette or Merkur style heads, some of those handles would make excellent shavers. :D

3. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

And before that, there was this!

[​IMG]

And before that, there was this!

[​IMG]

and this!

[​IMG]

And before that there was this!

[​IMG]

And before that there was this!

[​IMG]