Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Robert1955, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I hope your wrong too!

I hope next year we can look back and be glad we got through it.

I live in the country, miles and miles from even a small city.

But no one is really immune to somthing like this.

tp

gssixgun and Keithmax like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now will be the end of April.

That means starting tomorrow, as soon as word of this spreads, there will be yet another panic run on stores.

People everywhere are starting to get tired of this, and frustrations are going to start spilling over in a great big ugly. All because the media will hype the fear.

3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Good question. The problem with case count is that it is highly dependent on testing. Only people with severe cases tend to ask for testing, and in many cases the testing is simply not available. When it is, the results can take several days. There is also a high false positive in these types of tests, further distorting reality. By contrast, society has always put a high value in determining cause of death. The dead nearly always to get counted.
    Mortality rate is an excellent factor, but very difficult to determine, because it assumes you know the number of infections. Even if the case rate accurately reflected the infection rate, at the onset of a pandemic most of the cases are the recently ill, and there is a significant delay between the onset of symptoms and death. So it's not valid to simply divide the number of deaths by the number of cases, since there is no way of knowing if new cases will end in death or recovery. More accurately, you should divide the number of deaths by the sum of deaths plus recoveries. I tried this early on in the China outbreak, but it yielded inaccurate results which varied markedly over time because, at first, only the dead and the very ill got counted.
    Finally, what I look for is the rate of change in the death count. You are correct that the total number of deaths, even now, is miniscule. But look at Italy with 1000 deaths in a single day. Multiply that out by a year, and extend it to the rest of the countries of the world, and the figures would be staggering - tens of millions, to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

True. But the pre-existing conditions include both diabetes and high blood pressure. That's casting a pretty wide net.

5. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

End of April...
    The interesting thing no one talks about much is Sweden... no lock down. You would expect them to have exploding numbers right!
    Not so much, not really any worse then other European country.

The unemployment numbers are going to be huge.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m in Seoul, no lock down here either.

Edison Carter and MileMarker60 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but yesterday, somebody said a two month old baby in Nashville died of it. Nobody knows yet if they were pre-existing conditions there...assuming story is true.

BigMike likes this.
  8. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

I believe it's a 2 month has a confirmed case. That is what the local Nashville media is reporting. No other additional info .

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Observation borrowed from Twitter:

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Despite the bailout, it was debatable how long it would take the economy to recover if we restarted by Easter.

Now that much of it will remain dormant for the next 30 days (barring it being cancelled before then), question: do you think the economy can recover after over a month's shutdown?

As I recall reading, a lot of businesses remained open during the great depression...cut back but they didn't fold.

A lot of businesses are close to dying now, some already have.

Can we come back from that?

11. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

And flu overwhelmed ICU units by an order of magnitude when, exactly?

barbersurgeon and Erik Redd like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The economy always recovers, but it’s a matter of how long will it take to recover. The longer the shutdown, the longer the recession.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I hope so.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

30 minutes ago, Florida announced that homeschooling and other shutdowns will continue until at least May 1. Was hoping it wouldn't happen, but figured it would.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Your whole position is toxic. Please stop.This Is A Real Problem. Downplaying the importance of the situation and pretentending that this is somehow comparable to the flu is ridiculous .

BlueShaver and barbersurgeon like this.
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah they just pushed us to the 15th, with a warning that it might extend longer

They found one case in our two counties up here that came in from another area (Won't tell us where) but no community spread from him

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I haven't read this whole thread but thought I'd give my story here. About 3 weeks ago, I started running a low fever and called in sick to work. The fever didn't go away and a few days later I found out a co-worker was admitted to the hospital and tested positive for COVID-19. Called my doctor who told me tests weren't readily available unless symptoms were serious, so as long as I wasn't having difficulty breathing, just take tylenol, over-hydrate, and stay home. The fever lasted 8 or 9 days. I completely lost my sense of smell and taste a few days in and still haven't got them back. I drank well over a gallon of water and forced myself to get a little exercise every day to keep my lungs cleaned out a little. Luckily it never seemed to get deep into my lungs and I never had what I'd consider difficulty breathing. Just a little short of breath from stuff that wouldn't usually affect me. I'm still not 100% sure I had the coronavirus since I never had the chance to get tested but since I know I was exposed to it and the symptoms mostly matched, I guess I probably did. I feel like I'm pretty fully recovered now though.

For me it was worse than any case of the flu I've ever had but I have no doubt that I was very lucky. I'm 49 and in better than average health for my age. I know lots of the members here are older than me and all indications are that this virus affects you worse when you're older or have even fairly minor health issues. Take care of yourselves.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Put me on ignore.

Queen of Blades and Enrico like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Based on your reports, the prudent measures of personal protection commonly used there are admirable.

My employer recently listed the break room as off limits and there is NEVER a crowd or shortage of space. No fridge, no microwave, no chairs, no tables, no vending is to be used. The memo basically says, buy a cooler and eat your lunch in your car, cold.

Very odd response from a company with a disgusting and severe shortage of hand sanitizer dispensers (if they work). And...... Do they really think that in the event nature calls from the bowel regions that I am going to enter a confined space and place my bare butt where 'who knows' has been expelling their bodily waste and touching everything? Nope! Punching out and going home!

Let's all be clean here guys, we are closing off the area where hygiene normally has a high focus and ignoring the area that hygienically could always improve. Sure man, sure!

Sorry about the rant.

Keithmax, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Obviously you have never had an emergency, and had to use the restroom at a Truck Stop. I don't think you are going to catch the Wuhan Bug, through your butt. As long as you wash your hands after, you should be fine. Grossed out it seems, butt fine.

Edison Carter, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.