Coticule Honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    This is the edge on the Waterville and a shot of the blade surface. seems shot to me....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload temporary image

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I wish I had checked that blade with my 'scope before starting.....

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It doesn't look too bad, just reset the bevel, until you hit clean metal.

PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well - call me impatient... go on DO IT because I deserve it.... Rather than wait for my bevel setters, I ordered a Shapton 1K & 2K on advice.... OR watch more videos OR take sage advice I thought I would try the Waterville again. So I try, thick slurry, x-strokes, elliptical strokes - nada. I try again - nada. 1.5 hours later.... I get my 'scope on it and bam!!!! One side of the blade, the show side with the engraving, has what I would say is a reasonable bevel. The other side - mmm - it is ugly. I have [yes I was told....] competing bevels. So I think to myself that I will just hone and hone on the side with the competing bevels until I hone them out.... nope no deal... I am thinking this razor was unicote'd at some point and now that I am trying without tape I am not able to cut enough metal away to get a decent bevel on the stone that I have. Anyway here are some pics - let me know what you guys think this time and yes I will wait until good old Amazon delivers my bevel setters.... I used a sharpie on my last attempt - I have commented the photos TO FOLLOW...

The setup

[​IMG]

The Slurry - reasonably thick

[​IMG]
    Good bevel - show side of blade
    [​IMG]
    The Competing bevel..... ugly.... non-show side of blade
    [​IMG]