Cure For Underarm Body Odor??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Interesting experiment

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

At first, it was an experiment. It is now a daily routine. It works great.

TitanTTB and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

After having experimented with different products I gave up on deodorant a few months back as well. Alum was irritating & commercial products even the 'natural' ones were full of chemicals or just didn't work.
    I've been using Superior 70 which is basically alcohol that is lightly scented bay rum. I have it in a little spray bottle and spray my pits after showering, I also keep my armpit hair trimmed. There was a bit of an adjustment period just like when I quit shampoo but seems to be working now. The real test will be during the dog days of summer.

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

I haven't had problems with the sweltering Houston heat, and this cure. So far, so good. No more underarm deodorants for me.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've found that white vinegar helps for me. Might have to do a splash here and there during the day but it definitely helps eliminate odor. As far as sweating, I still sweat but I consider that a normal bodily cleansing function.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Maybe one day I'll try just my Dial 4 Men Odor Armour soap, and skip the deodorant.

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I found a long time ago that despite underarm hair being there for a reason (it's lubricating, so as you move your arm, you don't have skin to skin rubbing), it traps a lot of bacteria and increases the amount of odour I produce. So I simply shave my armpits reasonably frequently, and scrub under the armpits.

I occasionally use an anti-perspirant (right now it's Right Guard Sport), or a deodorant (Old Spice Bearglove)

Arm and Hammer actually works pretty well as a deodorant, even the unscented.

8. DaltonGang

The whole point is to get away from using deodorants, and the chemicals inside the deodorants. As for shaving your armpits, not for me. I'm 52 yrs old, and I'm not shaving anything on my body, but my face. My wife wouldn't have it any other way.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A year or so ago, my wife started making her own spray deodorants that are actually very similar in recipe to some aftershaves we use. She experiments with different EO's, and I think she has a couple of them down to where she wants to keep them. I think she smells good.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I was referring to the isopropyl alcohol.

11. DaltonGang

As I've said, I've seen no side effects. In looking as possible side effects, there is a chance with extreme exposure, and through vapors. Also, a chance of irritation and redness. Most of the side effects deal with long term exposure, inhalation, or ingestion(desperate Alcoholics or kids).
    So, I'm good with still using it.
    I would be more concerned with drinking the local tap water.

Bussemand likes this.
  12. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you haven't started growing extra limbs :)

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

We won't talk about the third eye. :D

Bussemand likes this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yeah, but it's kind of useless being that it's in your armpit.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I think alcohol is a bit harsh to rub under the armpits, that's why I prefer to drink it and let it work from the inside.

brit, DaltonGang and richgem like this.
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Everything's a chemical. As for my armpits - it's that _I've_ found that it helps me. As I wear shirts with sleeves most of the time, I don't need the hair for the lubricating effect when moving my arms near my body. It takes an extra minute or two once a week, and Derby works fine for it :)

17. DaltonGang

Still using the Alcohol, under the arms. Still working fine. My wife is starting to do it now.

18. DaltonGang

It's been a while since posting here, but I still use it daily, in the morning. No side effect that I know of. I still do not sweat excessively under the arms, and still no underarm odor. I might use a scented underarm deodorant, once a month, if I go on a plane, or on a long drive.

brit likes this.
  19. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Since aluminium based deodorants (including alum/crystal deodorants) fell out of favor (for presumably having a link/correlation to alzheimer and breastcancer) many cheapo brands (like old spice or axe/lynx) banned aluminium based formulas and many just use alcohol as the main ingredient+fragrance for their deo spray in-a-can anyway.

I still use alum as deo and also slap some after shave lotion under my arms just for smelling nice - I figured this way I don't have to worry about my after shave coliding with my deodorant scent-wise - also, if it's good enough for my face how could it not be for my (shaved) armpits !?

Anyway, I suggest trying some turkish kolonya (80° vol).

I'd also try using real soap bars instead of synthetic detergents used in beauty bars and liquid bodywash - which was the main culprit with my underarm body odor which was even present when I came fresh out of the shower but vanished once I started using bar soap.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021