Custom Lather Bowl From Dirty Bird Pottery

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by texbilly, Apr 30, 2009.

1. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Couldn't resist providing a peak of a custom lather bowl that Julie Moore of Dirty Bird Pottery is making for me. I recently purchased her brush scuttle (reviewed in the scuttle section and also shown) but opted not to purchase her matching lather bowl as I can't seem to contain lather in a small bowl considering my apparently spastic lathering technique. :rolleyes: This bowl design is the result. Very similar to some European models many have seen. Sized to allow the brush scuttle to sit inside (almost 5" across the top) and a bulge to help keep lather in the bowl. :cool: More photos and a review when I get it in my hands.

EDIT: See below - new bowl received!

Attached Files:

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So nice. One day im going to own a full set of dinnerware produced by one of these artists

3. cogito

cogito New Member

Very nice!

4. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Should get the new lather bowl in the next few days...:D

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Nice good looking bolw!

6. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Well, my custom lather bowl has arrived and I can't say enough about the beautiful craftsmanship of Julie Moore at Dirty Bird Pottery.

The first photo includes my "brush scuttle", which I had previously ordered from her shop. At that time, I had passed on her standard lather bowl since it was too small for me. So, she made this one to my specifications, which included a request to make the inside diameter large enough to nest the brush scuttle inside. I added an inverted thumb ring like you see on the euro designs and a "bulge" to keep my messy lathering under control. And it's only about 3" high so brush handle clanking is minimal! ;) It works extremely well, is easy on the eyes, and doesn't take up any additional space on my counter. Perfect!

For those of you who are interested in the lather bowl, she is calling it the "Bill Bowl" ;) so "ask for it by name"! Her contact information is as follows:

juliemoore@dirtybirdpottery.com
    or
    http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Very nice bowl

8. techdog

techdog New Member

Very nice design. The "buldge" in the middle is a great idea. Who knows, maybe it will become a regular item for her.

9. rudyvey

rudyvey Member

Nice set!

10. RnR

RnR Member

Looks r(l)ather nice!!

Your photo shows a finger swirl in the bottom of the bowl - was that a special request of yours too? I can imagine that would help to generate lather as the ridges would be a friction point.

Just being cheap, I picked up an inexpensive bamboo mortar and pestle set yesterday and will be trying out the mortar in this role. I do like her lineup and if I were to get a scuttle - her's would be the one.

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Uh-oh! Competition for the Moss scuttle! ;)

Nice looking bowl there, Tex! :happy088

12. texbilly

texbilly New Member

The bulge is pretty darn effective to keep most of the lather in the bowl instead of up your hand ;). Although depending on the soap or cream, I have made a mess or two, but simply push it back in. I almost made it taller (which might make the lather control even better) but wanted it short (about 3" tall) so I wouldn't wake the neighbors with my brush handle clanking! :D

13. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Can't take credit for the swirls - I think it's mostly a result of the pottery "throwing" process although I believe she exaggerates it for this purpose. Either way, it works!

Thank you Sir! And on the days I face lather, sure looks nice on the counter!

14. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Nice bowl, I like the inverted thumb ring. Thanks for posting the pictures, one of these days, I will get around to ordering something from DB.

15. oskar

oskar New Member

Nice emulation of one of my shave bowl designs, I feel flattered.
    Greetings
    oskar

Attached Files:

• 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
  16. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Yes! Thanks for your inspiration! ;)