Custom scales

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jamie Mahoney, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I would like to show you three sets of custom wooden scale i just finished, i kindly recieved the wooden blanks off Beejay, AKA Bill. they are Welsh Yew and American Black Walnut, the top set and the middle set both have white high impact acrylic liners, the bottom set have no liners just a yew wedge, they are waiting inline for future projects of mine for whenever i find the right blade, i've been looking at maybe going down the road of buying a custom blade and fitting it up myself, now having seen a few excellent makers over on the Straight razor place, i must admit to liking one maker in particular, he's a Aussie and goes by the name of Str8RazOr AKA Stu, he as is own makers mark and his blades look absolutely beautiful. so i'm thinking of giving him a PM and see what comes of it.

Jamie.

[​IMG]

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Great job again Jamie. The grain on the top set is fantastic. whats the turn-around time for making, a set of scales?

3. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Well first of all I cut the blanks down to a workable size of just over 6 1 /2 x 1 1/2 inches and around 4 or 5mm thick, then i transfer them to a little jig with double sided tape and hand sand them down to around 2mm, then remove glue my liners in place with industrial CA glue, leave for 24 hours, then transfer template to scales covered with a piece of masking tape, draw outline of scales, cut out with coping saw then all hand finished buffed and polished ready for the blade, it's a fair amount of work to be honest, and one of the reasons I dont offer any for sale.

Jamie.

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Well you certainly put the time in and the rewards are very clear to see. You should do a group photo of all your straights, I bet its some collection.

5. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

I generally dislike wooden scales, but that Welsh Yew is very striking. Very nice. Excellent craftsmanship as well.

Jamie Mahoney likes this.