Cut-throat razor disaster

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Grick, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

Ijustmissedthe50s, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's a reason some men went to Barbers - they didn't have the ability to develop the technique to straight shave. At least he got a DE instead of going back to a cart.

3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

And that's why I stick to DE. No TP, stitches or superglue needed!

Enrico likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Enrico, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Or a beard (sometimes it just has to be said).

Enrico, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you haven't tried one, try a straight. They are so much easier to use, than a Shavette.

Enrico and Keithmax like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm too clumsy. Safety razors for me.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Grick

Grick Active Member

I keep reading about guys slicing their cheeks open with deep gashes several inches long. Now imagine doing the same to you neck area. So let's not downplay the danger that straights pose. It's like riding a motorbike. Sure, ride your motorbike, but don't ignore the dangers.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

10. Grick

Grick Active Member

Pretty much.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

There are actual dangers involved I suppose, but lots of things in life are dangerous. In terms of things one of my children could take up, I doubt SR shaving would even make the top 100 in terms of worry.

Besides, chicks dig scars.

Keithmax, Bama Samurai, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

A man has to know his limitations. I do.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The last time I used a straight razor it was a miracle I didn't slit my throat or face because I was feeling very nervous. For that reason I gave it up.

BigMark83 and Grick like this.
  14. Grick

Grick Active Member

I hear you. I bought a Tiers Issard a few years ago, had it professionally honed and after a couple of times I realized that I can't be bothered to practice. Also, I'm not keen on walking around with scars and red dots especially since I've mastered the safety razor shave to such a level that I get bbs shaves with no weepers (most of the times) using an R41 or a Futur betwen 4 and 6. The straight learning curve is just too steep for me. And generally speaking, I prefer the feel and handling of a safety. A straight may look cool but once I used one I just didn't enjoy it that much.

15. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used a Dovo Bismarck for about 15 years and loved it. However my nerves were much better back then. I get the best shaves these days with my 50's Super Speed.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You all are probably aware that there are many men out there who are just as fearful of shaving with a DE ‘safety’ razor as with a straight razor (okay...maybe nearly as fearful :D) and so stick with cartridge shaving. I’ve met and talked with them. They feel safe using a cart shaver and have no plans on changing.

Btw: I’ve drawn far less blood over the years while SR shaving than when I used DE razors regularly. Perhaps I’m compelled to simply be more focused when using an SR and so fewer nicks and weepers are the result of this attentiveness.

17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That guy needs to lay off the coffee. But then some folks really belong safely locked away in a nice soft room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yehuda D likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

19. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

My son was whining about his Shaving the other day...and he uses cartridge.

I found that he was mashing and pushing the stupid thing so hard into his face that it wouldn't shave. It had become a habit for him. Of course my straights terrify him. (He waits too long between shaves so it is impossible for him to shave quick)

But the main thing is that these cartridges have become idiot proof. Smashing a razor into your face is insane in my book....made possible only by cartridges.

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Grick

Grick Active Member

True, but I bet they fear straights even more than safeties.