Cutting Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by bittermormon, Nov 16, 2012.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I have a bottle of Clubman AS that I rarely wear because the scent is just too strong for my liking. My barber uses Clubman Vanilla (which I love and now want to pick some up) after shaving the back of my neck, but he mentioned he had to cut it with some alcohol to dilute the scent.

If I'm using it on my face, would witch hazel or something else be a better alternative to alcohol? I assume I could use the cheap drug store witch hazel vs Thayers since scent isn't an issue? Is there anything else that would offer some benefits that I could throw in there?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you already have the WH and/or the alcohol, experiment with each. Mix up a tablespoon or two and see what you think.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  3. bittermormon

that makes far too much sense. Thanks

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I've found I have to dilute with around 90% witch hazel/alcohol with 10% Clubman...and it is still some strong stuff. I might have to try the Vanilla. Special reserve is an odd scent. Pinaud is too strong...even diluted. Lilac Vegetal takes some getting used to.

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I dilute mine about 50/50 with Thayer's but the ratio isn't set in stone yet. I tried adding the M-bomb as well and the glycerin helps for moisturizing but overall the scent is degraded. The alternative is I apply only the WH as aftershave and use only a little Clubman as cologne.

6. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Really? You guys dilute Clubman? I take it straight and I don't find it overwhelming at all. Plus it fades fairly quickly.

Of course I never go crazy with AS by applying it very liberally. Just enough for the burn.

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I like to do that too but I find it is quite a powerful scent it may project further than I want it to, and the last thing I want is to be that guy at work that stinks of cologne! Mind you I didn't ask around to see if people noticed or not. Perhaps I'll try that next time.

8. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Yeah, it's also a YMMV thing. Scents react differently on people.

9. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I like Clubman straight. I like being able to cup my hand over my nose and get good whiff of it throughout the day. I didn't know there was a vanilla. I will have to try that.

Monty Craig and jeraldgordon like this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Vanilla is the bomb! Ladies like. I like.

Now, as to you heretics who dilute your Clubman! You should possibly be burned at the stake! Ye gads, guys... thats like drinking light beer, or eating your steak "well done"... it just shouldn't be allowed. :signs131: In an effort to bring balance back to the universe, I may have to distill a little Clubman down, to concentrate it further ;)

11. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

I wish there was a concentrated Clubman cologne spray or deodorant.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Canoe cologne smells exactly like Clubman.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Or drinking coffee with impurities such as cream, milk or sugar! Or even worse - iced! :kar:

May have to be on the lookout for some Vanilla Clubman.

Monty Craig likes this.
  14. bittermormon

I don't want anyone to smell me unless they're pretty darn close. I usually use Stephan's Bay Rum and while I think it fades quickly, my wife can barely smell it on me at the end of the day. That's what I'm going for. With Clubman I can still smell it on me the next morning in the shower and it's just way to strong through out the day.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't like Canoe, but I like Clubman...go figure.
    Starbucks Mocha Doubleshot in the can.:drool: I'll take option A,B,C, and D. Thanks for the reminder.;)

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

They are very similar but there is an obvious difference to me. Canoe has more of an alcohol smell over Clubman.

Hanzo likes this.
  17. bittermormon

back to report. I cut mine about 70% WH with 30% Clubman. It eliminated the burn I felt (but didn't mind) and also eliminated the redness I'd get on my neck (I only get this with Clubman, not my Bay Rum). It was a nice feeling splash but I realized I just don't like the sweetness of Clubman. Luckily my Clubman Vanilla just showed up today.

PS If anyone in Salt Lake area wants a partial bottle of Clubman lemme know and it's yours.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Very respectfully disagreeing on that. Canoe is far more tolerable to the point of being rather nondescript and all-purpose...at least it is in the new formulation bottle I have, the one the size of a canned ham. Not saying they're totally dissimilar - they're not - but Canoe, if nothing else, lacks that gag-inducing sweetness that appears to be Clubman's selling point.

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

You have more experience with it than I do , I have only sampled Canoe in stores but it did make me think Clubman. Between SRP and BB quite a few guys see a scent connection between Canoe and Clubman either finding them complimentary or very similar , just learning there is a Canoe aftershave as well. :)

20. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Yes, and I have some Canoe moisturizing after shave balm that I really like. Have some on right now :)

Hanzo likes this.