Cutting the Scent and Enhancing

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by IsaacRN, Jul 23, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well what im wondering is....if you put lets say Witch Hazel on ....and your favorite AS...and maybe a balm after that...doesnt the balm cut all the nice scent the AS provides.......and then.....if you want to put on some cologne....how do you compliment the Floid for example....if your gonna be wearing something like CK One..

Very Confusing to me

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I do it this way. I either line up the same product line or complementary mixed scents for whatever scent I'm trying to achieve. It depends on what kind of post shave person you are. I prefer simple, non overpowering. How good the shave and my skin condition came out will usually dictate what route I take.

So, I use maybe an alum block with neutral witch hazel and an unscented balm and let the cologne do the finishing scent.

Or, maybe a neutral aftershave, such as Thayer's Aftershave with a neutral balm and a cologne that compliment each other.

Or, something like Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum Aftershave with a Bay Rum EDT such as Bay Rum with a Twist. The AS may not require a follow up EDT.

Or, something like everything Tabac or Musgo Real or similar for everything.

In any case, I would think that a normal balm is not going to do much to cut your AS or cologne. I go for unscented or neutral scented balms mostly. As a side note, I never depend on my lather to provide a lasting scent. It's there to enjoy while you shave and that's it. Hope that helped.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah....i would think that the AS should provide most of the scent for the day. I LOVE the way the Floid smelled.but it seemed to fade after a few hours. I also wanted to buy Trumpers Lime Skin Food......but im sure that that Citrus smell would kill the Floid

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Most AS not made to last more than a few hours. Too strong for me if it did. I would rather have it fade and apply an EDT.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So if i wanted to use somethign like Trumpers Limes Skin Food...i would probably want something citrus style EDT right.....i mean ive never smelled the trumpers.but im going on a hunch.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Right, but even then they might clash a bit depending on what else is in the product. Check out the mixes that Baloosh and rick put together for AS, EDT and Balm combinations. TraderJoe too. You can learn a lot from what these guys put in combination when they post their SOS.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very true.....but they have a vault of stuff that would make most stores blush with embarrasement.