Daily Driver Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Simon Smailus, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Simon, I echo what these guys are saying about the 30 day rule/focus group. Come over and join us. We have a lot of fun sharing and learning about this shaving thing together. You may decide you want to hang around for good, as many of us have. Don't worry about @wchnu. Once you step through the front door, he'll stop most of his barking and lay by your feet. He got rid of the fleas a couple of months ago, so no worries there. Say something nice about Williams soap or a GEM razor every now and then, and he'll be your friend for life. :rofl:

Thanks, my friend, for letting us crash into your thread with some typical 30 Day Crew shenanigans. :)

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!!!!

Our lawyers will be in touch......

Good man!!!

Want a pic???

They came from that room in the first place!!

3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

NO!

wristwatchb and FaceScraper like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:prrr:

5. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I want to be on whatever island Mary Ann is on. Or Betty Rubble (the cartoon, not the O'Donnell version). It's a petite brunette thing.
    Thought I'd lighten up a bit as I was a little well, "enthusiastic" yesterday. Seriously though, if it pleases anyone to own an expensive razor go for it. I bought an ASD2 early on, probably my third one I bought after a Muhle R89 and a vintage Fat Handle Tech. I've since acquired many vintage Gillettes and some Merkurs, Fatips etc. But I enjoy the ownership of them and they aren't as expensive to accumulate and try out as say.....oh ....Corvettes. (Don't ask me, cuz ya don't want to divide the cost of ownership by the miles driven). But I could probably sell everything except my two Old Types and still get the same great shaves now that I've got a handle on what works for me. Did the same with bass guitars as a young guy. Had a big stable of 'em to look cool. Now at 57 I have two that I like and actually play and use. They're the same brand and model, one main one and it's backup. Just like the Old Type razors, they accomplish what I need them to. I don't sound any different on ten different bass guitars.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

There is one aspect that has not been discussed in this thread. On the ATG pass, if you have your beard growing at an 30° angle, the blade will be pretty much parallel with each hair. Instead of the edge hitting the hairs, the flat side of the blade hits first. The blade then wants to follow the hair and rather than slicing through, each hair is forcing down the blade edge against the skin. Of course when you pull the razor forward, at some point the hair will bend enough to be cut. If this is the case, I think one would benefit from a razor with neutral blade exposure (or very, very slightly on the minus side because skin is flexing). The blade will still touch the skin if the razor is perfectly held at the right angle, but both the cap and the safety bar (or the comb for an OC) would touch at the same time the skin giving the support that is preventing the blade from being forced down.

Over the years I have seen even older members at razor forums telling that they do not go ATG. I think the reason behind this is in my explanation above. If the hairs are forcing the blade edge against the skin, it will lead to some irritation. Of course with skills one can put perfect lifting force to prevent this problem, but then you really have to be skillful as this problem will not be the same all over the face all depending on how close to 30° the beard is and how dense it is at that spot.

R41 is a bit of unique razor as it allows several angles. My strategy against this problem was to use shallow angle (riding the cap) at some spots and steep angle (riding the comb) at other places, all to prevent the blade edge from being forced down. Like that I could get it to work as a daily shaver.

Frijolero and FaceScraper like this.
  7. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

See......
    mary Ann.jpg

twhite, Frijolero and FaceScraper like this.
  8. T_I

T_I Active Member

I doubt it... the metal on the first few models isn't that good, but they had character and are now cared for, that helps. (I'll stick to mu 32-33 y Volvos :D )

But yeah, I noticed that you can have a good shave with anything, when you master the technique, even a Gillette Slim Twist with a bit of play. I learned that after I ordered the Qshave Parthenon, a used Slim Adjuster and traded a Matador De Luxe for a Shick Krona. Even with the technique still not perfect, I get a better shave from any razor then I ever got with a cartridge.

I now use the Parthenon as daily, only because the feel of the razor, nice long handle and it has some weight. When the blade tugs within the 2 weeks I use it, I change angle or add the 2nd layer of shaving soap. (soaping 2x gives a better result then only 1 pass with the brush) And yes, I manage to get 2 weeks out of 1 blade (feather), alternate side 1 and 2, twist open to rinse and let it dry with no pressure on the blade with the razor standing upright in it's stand.

wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.