Daily shavers

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hank, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hank

Hank Active Member

I shave about every third or fourth day. This helps me avoid razor burn but I know some of you shave daily. What razor and blade combination and aftershave do you use?

If this thread needs moved please do so. Its been awhile since I've been here.

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

For daily shaves I use a razor with neutral or negative blade exposure. It's very important (for my skin).

But there's no denying (and you'll see that across the shaving-web) that the best shaves come from every 2-3 days of growth. And for that you'll need a larger blade gap, preferable with neutral or negative exposure still. I know Rockwell has a slightly negative exposure on the higher plates moving towards neutral on the lower ones.

Blades are very YMMV, but for me the Russians are great. Voskhod, Swedish Supersteel, Astra etc.

Aftershave is just my homemade, but any would do. It's rarely an issue. If you need a certain aftershave, then look at the shaves. A perfect shaves should not need any special treatment.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I use a different set up every day. Straights mostly. Sunday I will use a DE during summer. Creams and soaps and almost always a badger brush.

My prep for every shave is a hot towel, followed by lathering up and a second hot towel. I shave before my shower. Aftershaves also run from vintage to modern mostly splashes. I do have sensitive skin but with light pressure and good prep I am able to get in a 3 pass shave most days. The days I can't are usually because of time or a straight that needs to be honed.

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and Herm2502 like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Using a mild razor like a Superspeed I can shave every day. I prefer sharp rather than smooth DE blades - Voskhod or Feather. Most times I use an adjustable DE - Gillette FatBoy, A Schick SE, or a Straight. Those are less than mild putting me on a 36-48 hour redo cycle.
    After shaving and cool water rinse I enjoy the antiseptic & skin tightening feel of an Alum block. It let's me know where I got careless by the very localized slight burning feeling.
    Aftershaves are another part of the whole that I never skip. I'm all over the spectrum from old fashion products like Lilac Vegetal to new stuff like Spearmint Caffeinated Lotion. If I experience razor burn, as signaled by the alum I use a moisturizing lotion. Clinique & Cremo make some good products.

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and preidy like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am daily shaver and uses various razors and after shaves. I use straights, DE and SEs. The key to shaving daily without irrigation for me is a combination of good prep, good lather and good technique. Beyond that when I use straights it needs to have a good edge. For DE I match my blades to the razor, some combinations work better than other but I use mostly just 3 brands (Super Iridium, Gillette Super Blue and Feather). For DE blades I toss them after two shaves and SE blades can go for 3 shaves before being tossed. I do not wait for them to start to tug.

I do use alum, AS and ASB too. If I had a particularly rough shave I will rub and ice cube on my face.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm a daily shaver and have done so my entire adult life. I'm fortunate in that I am impervious to razor burn or irritation ( I am a genetic marvel). I personally find that a shave goes much worse after a couple/few days. This was especially true back when cartridges were my main gear.

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm a daily shaver and choose my razor on a completely random, "what-do-I-feel -like-today?" system. The same goes for my soap selection and blade. I shave XTG/WTG normally and don't have a problem with irritation.

Right now I'm working through my OC razors (10 in all). Last month it was injectors.

BeShaved and RyX like this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm a daily shaver too and my razor , blade and soap are determined by my (scheduled) monthly rotation.
    You may be a good candidate for the cold water shave club. A CWS may alleviate some of your irritation and allow you to shave more often. Check out the CWS thread here.

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and RyX like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Everyday shaver. Completely random as to my equipment. Great shaves daily.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The answer lies in technique. Virtually any combo can do a serviceable job. The key is to keep the blade angle low. Irritation is most often caused by the blade edge scraping the skin. Also, cart shaving has left you with the desire to apply pressure, and you may not even realize it. When done properly, a single edge should not cause any razor burn at all. Razor burn means issues.

Since you asked, here is my top three tool combos

Straight razor
    Fatboy on 9, Gillette Silver Blue
    Schick type G, Chinese Schick Injector blade

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and Herm2502 like this.
  12. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

Daily shaver here-no irritation.
    95% of the time my Rockwell v2, #4 base and feather blades. I vary the soaps, but blade angle is key. I travel with a R41 on a Maggards short travel handle and feather blades, if not careful with this combo I can get some irritation (and a weeper or two).

BeShaved likes this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I shave Daily, it's a random pic of razors usually one of 3 styles of Gillette Adjustables (Slim, FB or BB) Weber PH or EJ DE89 Extra Grip, Merkur 34c. Blades, WS, Astra SP or Crystal and sometimes Personna Israeli Reds, Soaps are Cella (off a Kilo) VDH or Col. Conk. After shave is home made

RyX likes this.
  14. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

For a daily shaver I use a Gillette adjustable. I really like my super adjustable over the FB and Slim but they are all set about 3. I use feather or Astra SP blades. Pilsoft brush.

I think the real key is to use a good soap. RazoRock wool fat, or Stirling. I give a slight edge to the RR amici.

No need for Aftershave or other "stuff".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I too shave every day. I use different soaps and creams. As everyone says plenty of soap is crucial. A few times I have gone back over a certain area without re applying lather. Not a good idea.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I used to shave every 2-3 days, but lately I have been shaving everyday. As far as gear, I just pick whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. There are some combos I will not use if I have bad irritation from the day before, because it will make it worse (dull blade, aggressive razor, bad soap, etc.) Its all about finding what works best for you.

Robyflexx likes this.