**DATE CHANGE** Chicago Wet Shavers Get Together and Expo - November 10, 2011

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Weishi Warrior, Apr 15, 2011.

?

Are you able to attend the Chciago Wetshavers Get Together on 10/13/11?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2011.
  1. Yes! Hooray!!!!

27.8%
  2. Not this time, but maybe in the futur

72.2%
  1. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Somebody's been reading my mind again ..hummm ... no wonder we ended up married.

Chicago is by far one of my favorite places .. I've spent enough work time there ... might as well spend some QT with Jeff there too! :D

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I may be having friends visiting from out of town, if that happens then I will definitely be there. :)

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Still not sure if I can make it, but was wondering if our hosts would be okay with us bringing things to sell/trade/give-away/show-off.

4. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

UPDATE - Chicago Wet Shavers Get Together and Expo

Geo, also known as GeoFatBoy, has confirmed he will attend the Chicago Wet Shavers Get Together and Expo, and will be a guest speaker. Geo has several videos on YouTube in which he instructs on both double edge and straight razors. Word has it that Lynn Abrams, the straight razor guru, would like to attend.

5. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

I'm really looking forward to this. :cool:

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

You shuold change the location to Guelph Ontario. I would come then :D.

7. Weishi Warrior

Maybe next year!

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Heck yes :D. Would be at least 10 people. Could get the Italian Barber, as well as the other larger Canadian retailers who are located close :D.

9. Weishi Warrior

Plus I can finally take a trip to Canada with my family. We would be able to include a lot of other activities and sight seeing. You have my vote if you consider arranging the event.

10. Queen of Blades

+1 :D

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

So that means our hosts are okay with us bringing things to sell/trade/give-away/show off? IMHO unless we are told "no" then the answer defaults to "yes".

12. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

This is a good question, I'll find out. I certainly would welcome it.

13. Queen of Blades

We haven't received an answer yet.
    My brain doesn't think like that. It would be rude to offend our hosts. And as a guest it is my responsibility to avoid doing so.

14. Shaver X

Ah, OK. I thought the "+1" possibly meant that you had been told it was approved. I did not mean to suggest we offend our hosts, but do believe that a clear yes or no answer is needed. Due to the nature of the hobby, it is quite likely many attendees will bring things to show & tell, sell or trade unless told not to do so.
    Hopefully the event details will be announced soon.

15. Queen of Blades

Nah, I was just bumping my question. :)

16. Weishi Warrior

In response to the question of bringing items to sell, the short answer is the main sponsor, Merz Apothecary, is a vendor, who is keeiong his store open for the duration of the evening event. Accordingly, it was not the intent of his sponsorship and endorsement to invite competition to the marketplace. I hope this provides the clarity many were seeking. Lastly, based on responses, and the fact Mens Book Chicago Magazine is doing a story on the subject and setting up 3-4 chairs to have barbers do straight razor shaves, the Empire Room at the Palmer House may be just large enough to accommodate attendees, barber chairs, beverage tasting, and soap/cream, brush, razor, and post shave care original equipment manufacturers representatives.

17. Queen of Blades

Woooah! That was not the intent of my question at all. I was not asking from a business side of things, I was asking from a personal side.

Not sure I want to go now.

Don't even know what the second half of your post means.

18. Shaver X

Sorry to hear that show & tell and trading of vintage items is proscribed. :( I think I will pass on this one. Glad to hear the show is expected to fill the Empire Room, though. It is quite large, and if filled then many, many Chicago folks will be introduced to traditional wetshaving and a long-established local store. :) Hopefully they will also check out The Shave Den and enhance their shaving knowledge and enjoyment even more. Merz's Smallflower online storefront is quite impressive. I will place an order with them as a show of support for their sponsorship of the event.

19. Weishi Warrior

I don't belive there is a restriction on show and tell. Show and tell would actually promote conversation, and many are looking forward to this as being a very social evening where people with shared interests who have been communicating online may now meet face to face. With free straight razor shaves being done, demonstrations, and speeches by Mantic (Mark), and Geofatboy, this ought to be a very fun filled event!

20. Weishi Warrior

What I was trying to say is the guest list has certainly grown, and the room might be getting a bit tight. Again, I think bringing items for show and tell would really facilitate interestng conversation.