DE for women, fine hair and other unanswered questions.

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Kategorical, May 21, 2011.

1. Kategorical

Kategorical New Member

Hi, I've been researching DE shaving and I have a few questions that I haven't found answers to yet before I dive in.

#1 I'm a natural blonde, like Swedish reindeer farmer blonde, which means most of my hair is EXTRAORDINARILY fine. I've never been able to get a cartridge razor to pick up the ultra-fine hair I have above the knee and even when I was going to a salon for waxing, the hair was too fine to really have a good grip with the wax and it wouldn't all go. Is this a challenge that can be met by a DE?

#2 I like the idea of the ritual of the shaving soap and am intrigued to try it, but if I'm in a hurry, will standard shaving cream work with the DE, or not?

#3 Is shaving with the DE in the shower much more laborious than using a cartridge razor (this isn't a deal breaker, I just like to know what I'm getting into before I commit).

#4 Where can I find the best instructional videos to learn the technique?

#5 I'm a little to butch to rock the pink stars, is there a less...bedazzled razor that would be recommended for women?

That's all I have at the moment.

2. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Hi. I am not a woman, but would like to suggest any type of adjustable DE razor. Gillette makes 3 varieties and you can find them on E Bay, or Merkur makes 3 different styles of adjustables as well. The big advantage is the higher the setting, the more blade exposure and a closer shave. As far as technique, I'm sure some of the ladies here will offer their best set up, but in any case, the key to a bloodless shave is proper angle and NO pressure. There are videos on youtube by Mantic that shows how to with the face. I have never seen a vid on leg shaving but can imagine the similarities are very near the same. Wish I could offer more, but never have shaved my pins. As far as using canned cream, yes it will work but no nearly as well as a brush and a shave cream or soap. Those give you the best slickness and help to prep the hairs and skin for the closer shave. Best of luck!

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den!

#1 - I have very fine hair above the knee as well and on the outside of my thighs. It is removed completely using a DE or SE razor.

#2 - I have found that even when I am in a hurry I have time to whip up a cream or soap. Another alternative (and one I used when I first started using a DE) is to use a pump-style cream (such as Kiss My Face) and load it directly into the brush, hand lather, and then apply to your legs. You can use a cream, but I have found that the brush exfoliates my legs and I get a closer shave.

#3 - I always shave in the shower. I don't notice a difference. In fact, I get such a close shave that it takes me less time because I don't have to go over an area more than once.

#4 - I can't help much with the videos. I learned the techniques watching my husband. I hear that Mantic's videos are the ones to watch. They can be found on YouTube.

#5 - I have used several different DE and SE razors. My go to is the Gillette Stars, I like the longer handle. However, any DE will do. I have used the Krona, the Gunmetal Weishi ... and many more. The Krona and Weishi are a little mild for my taste but they give a fine shave with the right blade.

Good luck on your journey, it is well worth the ride! ;)

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Don't have anything to add but :signs046 to the den.

5. Kategorical

Kategorical New Member

Thanks to all of you for your tips. I decided to go with a Gillette Women's blue star (once I saw it and realized it didn't have actual stars I figured it would be fine) I ordered it and am waiting to receive it. I will probably upgrade to an adjustable at some point, but for now I figured I'd start here. Any reccomendations on blades for a rookie DE shaver?

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Blades are a your mileage may vary thing. What seems like the best blade in the world to me could be complete rubbish for you.

Order a sampler pack and enjoy going through it.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. What Dale said.

Oh, by the way, congrats on your new razor. May it give you many great shaves!

8. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I also have ultra-fine hair, although mine is black rather than blonde. I did my first DE shave last night, and the brush/foam were extraordinarily helpful in getting all those tiny hairs to stand up so they could be cut and not slip under the blade.