DE Newbie fighting RAD urges

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by grump, Jun 20, 2009.

1. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Hello from a relative newbie from Wisconsin.

Thought I should chime in here and give a bit of intro. I am into DE shaving and Gillette's.

It all started one day when I was out of cartridges for my mach 3, and was thinking of the old gold Gillette DE that used to sit on the vanity in my parents room. Wondering about that razor I decided to check out Google and eBay to see if I could find 1 that looked like I had remembered it.

So, After running across the numerous vintage Gillette's that were available and doing a bit of research on Gillette and his razors, I found I was born and live where King Gillette was born. Just found that to be interesting and further fueled my urge to get at least 1 and give it a whirl. soon I had a nice gold Tech, a best badger brush and some tobs avocado cream. Yes, this was for me.

From that humble beginning, I now have a small 5 shelf cabinet hanging on my wall that is screaming at me to find another, and another, and another to put in it;)

Yes, I believe RAD has set in!!!

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Ahhhh yes, the RAD happens and then it spreads...... SS, SC, blades, brushes, barber towels, pre-shave, after shave.....until finally....it subsides. Then it begins again and you'll need SE Razors! Of course you'll need SE blades. Oh, and Straight Razors! Then strops, hones, and then.....your very own vintage barber chair! Sighhhhhh ain't it great :D
    Oh, and I'm in Wisconsin too.

3. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Welcome to the madhouse run by the inmates. :happy102

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Welcome to the Den!

Yes, fighting *AD can be tough; we have support groups with that. Well, we support your decisions to buy more stuff!

glad to have you with us!

5. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Howdy, and welcome. RAD is a good thing. It's a healthy addiction that secretly helps the world rotate on its access. I mean axis. :rolleyes: Goes back for more coffee.

6. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

I myself and fighting that same AD, having just started in may. A warm welcome from your nieghbor in Viking Land...

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome!

No use in trying to fight it. I shaved with a cartridge and canned goo for over 30 years. It was always the same stuff, day in and day out. So when I started with the DE, soap and a brush, I figured it would be pretty much the same - find one brand and stick with what works.

:happy102:happy102:happy102

Ho, ho, ho! The first *AD to kick in was for soap. I've over a dozen, and still think I need more. I just purchased an Omega 49. Why? I already have a Vulfix 406 I'm quite happy with. I feel another *AD kicking in. My first DE was an HD. Then I bought a Parker 80R just to have something different (it's TTO, for those who wonder) than a fixed head. I just know an adjustable isn't too far down the road. Blades? Enough to last about two and a half years.... *drifts off to thoughts of "maybe there's one out there that's better for me"*

Huh? Oh, 'scuze me. Sorry 'bout that.

The great thing about this little luxury in life I've found is that it does not have to get expensive. Of course it can, but a little purchase here and there isn't too hard on the wallet.

Come often, share much, enjoy your shaves!!

8. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your warm welcomes. Now I'm off to the local antique mall!!!:happy102

9. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Welcome to TSD!Enjoy your RAD!!!:D and get some SE razors too....:rolleyes:

10. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Yup just go ahead and give in!
    Do try the SEs.

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome! RAD isn't as bad as you may think. It will disappear when you have all the razors.

12. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome! Embrace the RAD.:laugh042

13. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

well, you can always sell the ones you don't like after trying them. I'm telling myself that as I pick up a few assorted soaps, cremes, and blades. I don't have a huge razor or brush AD issue ( so far), because I picked out a nice pair to start out that fits me well. Soaps and cremes and blades.. well.. that's a different story. :>

GL

14. rainman

rainman New Member

Yes we are all suffering thru different phases of it. After the DE RAD ends, then SE's and Injectors come in. Then straights.

15. MrsMudkipz

MrsMudkipz New Member

Welcome to TSD. RAD is a fun thing to have, when you have $$. hahahaha My hubby has spent his and my budget on stuff so I only have the one straight and one DE. He on the other had has everything under the sun I think:happy102

16. grump

grump Well-Known Member

At the moment I am thinking about checking out a few soaps as all I have tried so far has been Tobs Avocado. It seams to last forever though. Also hearing a little voice telling me to try a straight. I wonder if thats the little devil on my shoulder.

17. MsJoeD

MsJoeD New Member

Straight razors seem to be a natural progression for many guys and gals here. If you have the good understanding and mastery of the beard prep and shaving with the DE, I would say go ahead and get a straight. They are great shavers although there is quite a bit of a learning curve that comes with learning to use them. Just do your research and jump in with both feet ;)

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome, and may whatever God you might believe or disbelieve in be with you...there is no cure, you know.

19. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Go with it...my wife's eyes have rolled out of her head..........