DE Open Long Comb G-9 Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Jan 4, 2016.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

In my never ending quest to waste my money on inexpensive razors to try, and usually ending up with a usable handle, enters the G-9 long open comb DE which is the leading contender for buying a handle only.

Without a doubt this razors holds my all time record for a dangerous piece of junk trying to pass itself off as a razor. I purchased it off eBay for $10.50 including shipping. Realizing the ever present risk that it might not be very good, I thought I could always use the handle for something else, which is definitely the case with this razor. The handle is actually very nice, with a nice knurled grip and the fit and finish is excellent. The razor head is a different story.

The head assembly is unusual in that the top plate appears cast and the lower plate has been machined. Both pieces are non-ferrous and are crudely finished. Blade alignment is supposedly accomplished by a single flange running the length of the top piece. Unfortunately the flange is too narrow and the hole in the lower plate is about 25% larger than the bolt from the head piece allowing a great deal of movement and extremely poor blade alignment. The biggest issue is that the blade substantially protrudes out the ends of the head piece creating four sharp corners with the actual razor blade edge exposed. Additionally, the large blade gap coupled with the seriously misaligned blade should send any shaver running into the night screaming in terror at the thought of even attempting to use this razor.
    Nice little plastic case and handle, but a little pricey for $10.50.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zweird.png Scary too.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, I mean warning!

4. Misphit