DE Razor Adjustment/Repair/Restoration

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Island Brian, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I finally scored a toggle. It will be a lightly used shaver (I am not a real collector - useables only for me). Upon its arrival, I gave it a gentle cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles, an alcohol bath and then a mineral oil bath. There are a couple of issues and I would appreciate your suggestions.

First issue - the adjustment band is very tight. More so than I would expect even in a brand new razor. Anything to worry about here? Anything I should do (other than keep it well lubed and treat it with gentle respect)?

Next, the paint on the number "1" is partially missing. Ordinarily, I wouldn't really care, but otherwise, the red dot and other numbers are near perfect and it seems a shame to have that one blemish. What do you pros do to re-paint numbers on an adjustable?

Thanks in advance for your great advice.

Attached Files:

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

When you are turning the adjustment, are the doors closed? I only adjust my adjustables with the door open, otherwise they seem too tight.

As for painting, if you pick up some flat black model paint from walmart, or any hobby store, paint the number, then wipe your finger across it to wipe away excess, they look great. If you ever sell it, please disclose that you did this. Good luck!

3. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

My Toggle was also tight adjusting, first give it a long soak in hot soapy water.
    Then with the doors opened turn the adjusting knob back and forth .
    Also try to get some lubrication in there, mineral/baby oil will work.
    Petrified shaving cream can harden like concrete, but if you work at it, it should loosen back up.

Micheal Arts and Crafts has some interior/exterior acrylic paints in 2 oz bottles that I've been using on my Progress knobs.
    They also have a very fine tipped brush (liner 10/0) that allows you to get most of the paint into the number.

4. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I did that. Nothing harsh - just some good ol' Palmolive dish soap. But when I went to get the razor out of its bath, I found that the red indicator dot was gone.

Toggle Missing Dot.jpg

Then, I saw a little piece of debris floating in the bath water - it was, of course, the red indicator dot that had slipped off the razor! :happy102 I fished out the dot and saved it on the sticky part of a post-it note.

Toggle The Dot That is Missing.jpg

Perhaps the person who sold it to me may have forgotten to mention this. Kidding. If anything is awry, its more likely that the seller had no idea. I will simply repaint the dot so it doesn't bother me, but its no big deal in this case.

But my question is - has anyone else experienced something like this?

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

How weird -- I thought the indicator dot was painted on. When I got my Toggle, it was caked with the most stubborn soap scum I had ever encountered, so I had to I soak it plenty, and the dot stayed put. Hopefully, you will be able to glue it back in place.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It probably was painted on. It just sits on the surface and doesnt form very strong bonds. After 50 or so years it fell off. No biggy, and to be expected.

7. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I have number paint come off in strips before from soaking:mad:

8. smoothshaver

smoothshaver New Member

Testors model paint work very well.