DE-Vette Pass-a-round thread...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, May 23, 2020.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m looking forward to your review. It’s a great razor!

GAW9576 and SharptoothC like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

It will bite eh???
    Sounds like my kind of razor.
    Is there a chance I might try it out???
    I have a few feather blades just wanting to go.

tp

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I had stickion issues with another kind of razor. Rounding the cap cured that.

tp

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I don't see a problem adding Terry @Terry to the pass around.
    When @SharptoothC is finished, he can PM you to get your address. Terry, you will mail everything back to me when you are finished.

Terry, Jim99, GAW9576 and 3 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    Please remember to include me in the PM's. Thanks.

Jim99, GAW9576, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    @Terry, you should go back and check out the original post.

Terry, Jim99, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Well, I reckon I am due for a check-in and write up.

The good news is that no, I did not bleed out and die. I've actually been using the DE-Vette all week, and have had surprisingly little issue thanks to previous write-ups from you guys as far as actual shaving is concerned. I did have a little hiccup getting the blade aligned at first due to the single post setup. I didn't realize it when it happened, but noticed later that I had slightly nicked my my finger with the blade while trying to hold it in place while tightening it. Nothing to worry about though, and didn't make the same mistake again.

The razor is sleek and pleasing to look at. It feels well made, and a little edgy to use, no pun intended. The thin caps did have me wanting to put it in the box after each use to avoid any mishaps. The weight is pleasant in the hand. I was afraid that with the thin caps it would feel a bit bottom heavy, but that ended up not being the case. I think the length of the handle balances it out.

I had been using shavettes a good bit leading up to receiving the DE-Vette, and had been trying to visualize it as such. It too a few moments to get a good feel for reaching the same angle I would use with a shavette with a razor with a perpendicular handle. I did a few trial runs before actually loading it to get my mind wrapped around it. I approached it with a shallow angle as recommended by others. I started off with a blade that I consider a good all around workhorse: a Gillette 7 O'clock Green. Right off the bat I found it to be a bit tuggy at the start. I adjusted the angle to a more shallow angle than I thought I should, almost riding the cap flat. I was working with several days of growth, and I think I was being overly cautious because of the lack of a guard. I used many short, cautiously measured strokes and I ended up with a nice, solid shave.

After a couple of shaves with the Gillette blade, I decided to swap out for a sharper blade. I loaded up a Feather and, armed with a better understanding of angle and better feel for the handle, found it to move smoothly with no tug. Was confidence the difference or was it the blade? Either? Both? I cannot say with scientific accuracy. Whatever the case, I found that shave to go far more quickly and with a slightly better end result. I'll be having another go with the Feather tomorrow. As I am getting used to shavette shaving with a DE handle, I find I am adapting to it more quickly than I thought.

As usual, Tom, I've found it to be a well thought out, intriguing, carefully made razor. I continue to be impressed with your process and craftwork.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

GAW9576, Jim99, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nice report, enjoyed reading it.

GAW9576, Primotenore and SharptoothC like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great review. I think it is the sexiest razor I have made. Sleek and simple.

I am happy you are enjoying the shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. SharptoothC

You would not be wrong in your assessment!

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Concise and thorough report, Chris. It presents a challenge, to me anyway, as you correctly pointed out, using a shavette razor with a DE handle. They are, at first, counter-intuitive---especially how the wrist is positioned. Once that new coordination is learned, the shave becomes much simpler.

12. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Definitely a beautiful minimalist razor but my vote would probably go to the Bunnies. Unfortunately I've only ever seen pictures of them.

twhite and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.

Well...

tp

GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  14. SharptoothC

Sorry Terry, I've not had a day off. I'll be off tomorrow and will head to the post office.

GAW9576, Terry and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Chris!
    I wasn't complaining.
    Just wandering, I didn't see any updates to where it was at and just thought I'd let you guys know I'm all in here.
    Thanks again!
    tp

16. SharptoothC

Now worries! I heard no complaining!

GAW9576, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

It came in the mail today.
    I have it loaded with a new Feather blade ready for the morning shave.

Thanks!

tp

18. SharptoothC

Feather right off the bat? Brave man!

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Terry like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

20201014_060607.jpg
    Tis could be love........
    New feather blade.
    3 passes head and face.
    No issues.
    OMG!
    tp

20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My daily DE blade.
    So I see no reason not to.
    Once you get used to a good issue free shave.
    It's hard to go back.
    Sorry it's so scary for you.
    I got a fantastic shave this morning.
    It will be hard to send this little tool on it's way after I get to use it for a few days.
    tp