DE-Vette Pass-a-round thread...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, May 23, 2020.

1. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Dang if there are plans to start making them I'd love to buy one or two

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tom is what we call a razor tease. :(

;)

GAW9576, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  3. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Really too bad well better luck next time

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

WOW I never thought of that. Yes, yes I am:happy093:

GAW9576, Jim99 and richgem like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tom, maybe you've already done this and I missed it, but you should have a master thread which points to all of your creations. I'm sure folks in this thread would be interested.

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I do not. It might be kind of fun to do that.

GAW9576, Karl G, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yeah, Tom! It will be like a family reunion.
    :):):):)

8. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Please do. That would be a spectacular thread.

Jim99 and twhite like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shave #4 with the DE-Vette is now in the books.

I have been using a Personna lab blue blade, with very good results, but have now switched over to a fresh Gillette SB blade and ended up with different results.

The Gillette blade felt sharper than the Personna, yet it also felt like it was tugging. I tried increasing and decreasing the angle, but it continued to tug. Hmmm... Maybe it was the soap? I don’t know. I even ended up with two small nicks on my chin. The Gillette blade was not playing nice for some reason. Maybe the second shave with this blade will be better and it will mellow out.

I got through my two passes and then rinsed. Wow!!! I had a solid BBS!!! Was it worth the tugging and two nicks? I don’t know, but I did end up with a BBS shave.

I’ll use the Gillette SB for two more shaves before switching over to another brand.

Just an observation... I’m definitely enjoying this razor and could see this as a daily driver. The DE-Vette is like the sports car of DEs.
    8F2AA860-FA82-4431-A728-7F5CE481D0F2.jpeg

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shave #5 with the DE-Vette is complete!

I used the Gillette SB for the second time. Recalling the minor complaints I had with the blade, I made my lather a bit thinner in hopes that it would smooth out the shave. The shave was definitely better and quite nice, but there was still a bit of tugging compared to the shaves with the Personna blade. I wonder if I have a dud blade or if the Gillette blade is slightly wider than the Personna. Either way, the Gillette gave me a great shave in the DE-Vette, and as always, YMMV.

Back to the DE-Vette... I really do not like this razor. Oh, no. I love this razor! :love055: It is just plain fun to use. The best part is that it’s infinitely adjustable. You’re in command when using it and you determine the shave.

I’m switching over to an Astra SP for tomorrow’s shave. More to come...
    0A3FB3BF-12E9-4CEF-A628-2E8AFACA2659.jpeg

twhite, Edison Carter, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Exactly my experience, Jim. Tugging on new or newish blades, which normally exhibit no tug whatsoever. IMO, the razor challenges the shaver to use a shallower angle. Use said you use a 30˚ angle. Foe me that's too steep. The 90˚ relationship between the blade and the handle also present a challenge, in that one must lift the handle up higher. The result of that can be the "hard to get" spots are inaccessible. So, you are compelled to lower the handle, increasing the angle and setting up an inevitable scraping situation. JMO, for what it's worth.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Joseph, you’re right that using a shallower angle smooths out the shave. I did change my angle during today’s shave and could feel the shave smooth out, but subconsciously crept back to the steeper angle to cover everything in one pass, especially in the hard to get areas. The technique I used with the Personna does not necessarily apply to the Gillette.

twhite, Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m now at shave #6 with the DE-Vette. Time is just flying by!

Today is day one with the Astra SP blade in the Vette and it didn’t disappoint. I did my usual two passes, with the grain and against the grain, and had a very solid DFS shave. The Astra blade feels much like the Personna blade in the Vette, as it is very smooth and comfortable with no tugging. I will give the “edge” to the Personna in terms of sharpness, but both blades are excellent performers in this razor for me.

I did have one mishap during this morning’s shave. I had the radio playing when a totally annoying commercial came on. It has a stupid jingle that I’ve been hearing for at least 12 years now. Anyway, while holding the razor in one hand, I reached for the volume with the other. The razor hit my chin as I lunged for the volume. Ugh! Ouch! It sure did sting, but no blood. That is no blood until about 10 seconds afterwards. As with any razor, put the razor down before making any sudden moves.

I’m really enjoying the DE-Vette. Tom, this baby is a winner, but can you do something about annoying commercials?

57C18A26-FED5-423B-BD30-52C911C3F4A3.jpeg

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Today was shave #7 with the Vette, and what a pleasant shave it was!

It was my second day using the Astra SP blade and it felt smooth on my face as I did my two passes. I kept the angles low, kept the pressure very light, did plenty of skin stretching and was rewarded with a wonderful BBS shave.

I’ll switch over to a Gillette 7 o’clock black blade tomorrow to see how the DE-Vette handles it.
    8B23576B-785F-4CA1-9B76-7DA28DA84C55.jpeg

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shave #8 with the DE-Vette is complete.

I loaded up the Vette with a fresh Gillette 7 o’clock black blade and was treated to my best shave yet with this razor. All of my previous shaves with this razor have been great, but today’s shave blew me away! Smooth, very close and extremely comfortable is the best description I can give it. It cut through my whiskers with zero effort. I ended up with another BBS shave, with no nicks or weepers. Keep a low angle, stretch your skin and keep an extremely light touch in order to get your best shave. I also like my lather a bit on the wet side for maximum slickness. The Gillette 7 o’clock black was, without a doubt, the nicest performing blade I’ve used in this razor.

I really love the razor and can honestly say that all of my shaves with it have been outstanding. I can go WTG and ATG with ease, and it easily takes care of any problem areas (neck and chin). Brass is nice and shiny when kept polished and I love shiny objects. The slim lines of this razor make it easy to maneuver and the weight and balance just feel right in my hands. If this razor were a car, it would be an exotic race car for sure!

A razor without a safety bar is certainly not for everyone, but for those wanting to drive that exotic race car, the DE-Vette is the ticket. Tom, if you would mass produce this razor, I will be first on line to buy one!
    E3F40B61-6AF1-4A25-970A-141CC4D3056E.jpeg

Droo78, Primotenore, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Glad you like it. I need to make myself one. I am getting jealous reading your reviews. :)

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, you have to get yourself one of these babies! :p

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I bought the brass last week. So I am half way to one.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very nice reviews, Jim.

Edison Carter, Jim99 and GAW9576 like this.