DE-Vette Pass-a-round thread...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, May 23, 2020.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Rabbits can smell very musky all on their own. Just saying

GAW9576, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

The DEvette is packed and ready to go. I should be able to ship it early tomorrow morning.
    I polished it lightly then sanitized it with a food grade sanitizer, dried it well then packaged ot up.

To all left in the pass around.
    The brass seams to patina very quickly so be sure to dry it well with each use. When I got it there were a few spots that had gone a small amount past patina and would have left permanent pits. I cleaned them thoroughly but carefully.

Jim99, Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s a good point to mention. I also noticed patina buildup in my 8 shaves with the razor, but being that it’s bare brass, I was not surprised. I used a brass polish on the razor before sending it out and it looked as good as new.

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  4. GAW9576

I believe the spot I was slightly concerned about was on the lower side of the stand but it was definitely not prominent. It may have even been a residue from a sanitizing. It polished up very well but I noticed with each use there was a very slight discoloration of the brass especially on the top cap and inside the blade bed.
    I definitely do not think anyone has neglected the razor in any way. I think even the slightest humidity during shipping could resalt in what was on the razor when I received it.
    I love brass and have several vintage razors that the plating is gone long ago that have a beautiful to me patina.

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

When I get around to making one for myself. I will polish it then let the natural patina take over.

Primotenore and GAW9576 like this.
  6. GAW9576

If it was mine I would do the same.
    Sending it to others I figured best practice would be to keep it clean and pristine.
    I have often wondered what a CuSn8 Bronze razor would be like. I love the way that patinas on the pictures of watches Ive seen. Wish I could afford one of said watches. Maybe some day.

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  7. GAW9576

I was wondering. Is there a difference in performance between the Veg and there other aftershave lotions?

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Alcohol-based aftershave. Good skin conditioning. Sillage is big and longevity is good. I like it, but, then again, I am chosen. BTW, it would be a great choice for this month's 30DC "emperor" focus, considering it is rumored that Napoleon was chosen as well.

Droo78, Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  9. GAW9576

Thank you. I was wondering if the lotion performance was any different than the other scents of Clubman Pinaud.

10. richgem

In case it's relevant, no self-respecting and very few non self-respecting emperors (penguins) would even get near a bottle of the veg. /smug

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  11. GAW9576

Thank you for the recommendation.
    Not to derail this thread but we have already talked quite a bit about the Veg here.
    I stopped at the closest ( 30 minutes from home ) BB&B today since I was in that area and they had 2 bottles. The first one I picked up to look at had a small leak which worked in my favor. A little got on my hand and I was able to sample the smell with my body chemistry, at least that of my hand. It smelled quite pleasant, kind of a light baby powder scent but slightly sweet without being feminine. It's a clean and fresh scent.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    May I suggest decanting the juice into glass.

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  13. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Excellent! Glad I could help.

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. GAW9576

Of course you can suggest that. I've never done it before and have always wondered what the purpose is. I never understood what decanting did and am not sure if there is a certain process involved or if you simply pour it into any glass vessel. Or are there certain qualitys the vessel should have?

By the way I put a small splash on when I got home and asked my wife how it smells. She says it smells really good. Her normal response to that question with any shave related product is "It smells soapy" so really good is high praise coming from her.

Edison Carter, Primotenore and Jim99 like this.
  15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Decanting it from the plastic to glass is said to help improve the scent. But so will setting it on fire.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

GAW9576, Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  16. richgem

Liked: setting it on fire

GAW9576 and SharptoothC like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    I find it "mellows" the scent. Glass bottle should be clean and if it has a restricter, so much the better. Hot sauce bottles seem to be popular. Last suggestion:
    Ignore the "haters", jealousy is such an puny trait.
    Now, if we may, can we get back to the subject of this thread, Tom's terrific razor.

GAW9576, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  18. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I admire those that can wear it comfortably. It really isn't all that bad, just fun to pick on. My wife actually likes the scent on me, but it gets too powdery on me for my scent taste.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Understood. I like to rag on Arko users. :scared003:

20. GAW9576

We can certainly get back to Toms fantastic futuristic faceted face shaver. Sorry for the distraction. Tracking on the package is a bit wonky since there was a small issue but it appears to be correctly on its way now.

Edison Carter and twhite like this.