DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Interesting. Perhaps with the cold, dry winter air your skin is more sensitive to certain products that are fine the rest of the year?

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thank YOU for hanging out this month and we hope to see you here next month and the next and the next! You have added great information to the group. Besides, you let me play with a really cool razor. That's a ticket for admission anytime! Happy New Year!

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That is a possibility though my face hasn't suffered the dryness like other areas have, mostly thanks to the oil in the pre-shave soap. I was outside in extreme cold for a bit today though, while loading up a bed. I'm willing to look at any possibility.

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Glad to have you with us. Please stick around.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Let's keep the party here until tomorrow night!

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds good to me!

Drygulch, PLAla, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice. We don't wanna deprive a record participation month of any bowl game stats.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you all

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday December 30 late night - 2nd last B+M sample for 2nd last shave of year

Gillette Aristocrat / Gillette Platinum Plus (3)
    30DC LE Maple Cashmere synthetic brush
    B+M Glissant Bay Rum sample
    Alum and Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum,

I tried the B+M Glissant soap base today. It has lanolin and shea butter in it. Not too surprising that it was slicker than the Latha with an excellent postshave face feeling. The Bay Rum smelled to me like a traditional bay rum with a fair amount of clove scent in it.

With a good lather, the Aristocrat delivered three good passes. A bit of extra buffing could have brought in a BBS, but I didn't want to chase both it and the resulting irritation.

I finished with the Jeeves bay rum splash. It doesn't exactly match the B+M interpretation but is close enough and I enjoy it with the orange and other scents added in.

I will finish my samples and the year with Seville.

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You are correct Clint. RazoRock Blue Barbershop is supposed to be a takeoff on the Floid Blue aftershave. Here is how they describe the soap.

From Italian Barber:

"Shaving soap sticks have been around traditional wet shaving for decades but if you are new to shaving with a brush and soap you may be wondering what this product is. A shaving stick is really easy to use; you prepare your beard by washing it with warm water and if you desire, applying a little bit of pre shave, then you wet the stick with some hot water and rub it all over your beard stubble in circular motions. When you have a nice thin layer of soap covering your stubble, you then begin creating a lather right on your face with a damp shaving brush. Make sure to spend a few minutes working in the lather and add droplets of water to the brush hairs/fibers if needed. If you have a thinner beard on your cheeks, you may want to rub more soap into the chin area of your beard, for most men, the chin stubble is the thickest and easiest area to apply soap from a stick. Remember that creating lather with a shaving soap stick is a learned art, give it a good 15-20 shaves before determining if you like it or not, you probably won't get the best of lathers the first few attempts. Patience will be rewarded!

Scent: RazoRock's Blue Barbershop scent; clean barbershop scent with notes of bergamot, lemon, lavender, and baby powder; our take on the famous and now discontinued Blue Floid."

Hope this helps inquiring minds. :)
    blue_barbershop-soap_stick_square_large.jpg

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 8 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks for hanging out with us this month. I hope you join us again next month.

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, RyX and 9 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sure sounds like a reaction to the soap. Glad it settled down with a cold water rinse.

Drygulch, PLAla, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful recap on your soap sample test John.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I thought I recalled a Tweet from him about the soap when it was first released mentioning Floid Blue.

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 7 others like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

-Brian Brown 6/8
    -Zenith Boar
    -Jeeves Velvet Jacket
    -Addidas Team Citrus (Currently Deep Energy)

Yesterday was the first shave I have had since Wednesday. I got a pretty good windburn on my face Wednesday, and just wasn’t in the mood. This shave made up for the lost ones. Super shiny lather, built on the face with a scrubby boar, got right through the stubble, and made sure that first pass was slick. After that, it was three more comfortable passes, leaving me almost baby smooth; just a couple little spots that I didn’t quite get.

Adidas makes a really good aftershave. Unlike most of the drugstore aftershaves I have tried, it has some/more skin care additives in it, and leaves a guy’s face feeling pretty good. It has a good scent with some staying power, and is cheap as dirt. This bottle my wife bought for me, so I know it is always a safe choice.

I am jumping in on the shavettes for January. Not much of a stretch I know, but I will be using them for all my weekly shaves. I may break for straight shaves on the weekend, we’ll see.

It has been bitter cold in the Northwoods the last two weeks. We haven’t quite hit a -40, but I had -39 one night last week. Highs have been in the single digits to teens below zero, and it definitely feels like winter. When it gets this cold, car exhaust freezes to the roads, and when it never gets a chance to warm up, it just builds into a literal skating rink. Driving is like an extreme sport right now.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 31, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Modified Gem PTFE (6)
    BSB-2 Two Band Fan
    Cold River Jeff’s Soap

[​IMG]

This is the last shave of 2017 for me. The little BSB-2 brush loads and lathers the Jeff's Soap easily. Sticking with a 3 pass shave had the baby in sight. Minor touch ups along my jawline and buffing on my lower right neck ended with a wonderful BBS shave. A splash of Floid Blue proved to be a great end to the shave. I hope everyone has a great Sunday. I hope you all have a wonderful time ringing in the New Year.

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 8 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking razor Jared. I placed the Adidas AS in my Amazon wish list based on your comments over the last several days. Congrats on your successful enabling.

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

+1. I enjoy your contribution to the thread @LOOT. I hope you’ll siick around.

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 9 others like this.
  20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Last Shave of 2017
    December 31, 2017

Simpson Captain 2 Manchurian
    Panna Crema Nuavia Blu
    RR Black Mamba DLC
    Personna 74 Tungsten Plus
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool
    ADP Blue Mediterraneo Ginepro

[​IMG]

Drygulch, jtspartan, RyX and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.