December 2018 30 Day Rule/Focux Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What will be the most decadent part of your December shaves?

1. My razor(s). Seriously - I'm bringing the finest of the fine.

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. My soaps/cremes. Seriously - Gonna be so luxurious I may be unable to talk.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. My aftershaves/balms. Seriously - Almost too good to even use without being arrested.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. My cookies. Seriously - I'm drooling just thinking about those cookies.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My donuts. Seriously - You think I drool over cookies? Check this out!

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. My ice cream. Seriously - when you have ice cream who needs cookies and donuts?

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  7. Just looking at my beautiful self in the mirror. Seriously - who could ask for anything more?

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

My Dad and I used to listen to Johnny on vinyl in the 70s. Good to see young guys remembering him. First social distortion son I heard was ball and chain. I was hooked.

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!

December 12, 2018

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette 195 (Fatboy) (9)
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg (2)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - The Canuck
    Post - Alum

Today's shave features a special edition tutorial on lathering Mitchell's Wool Fat. Step 1. Wet the puck while you get ready to shave. Step 2. Make sure you use a SynBad knot from APShaveCo. Step 3. Soak the brush for about 30 seconds, shake well. Step 4. Load the brush like you think you'll never get to use it again. Step 5. Apply the slickest lather I've ever made with MWF for both passes, then squeeze out enough lather left in the brush to wash both cars, the dishes, and take a shower.

With the Fatboy and Sharp Star working on that lather the baby is easy to get in two passes and just a bit of touch up. Alum was quiet, my face feels great from the lanolin and all's well at Cartel HQ. Speaking of HQ - party is here this weekend. My wife leaves tomorrow to go to Tennessee for about a week to hang out with some friends, leaving me here to hold down the fort. I figure as long as we get everyone back home by the end of the weekend I can repair the damage before she gets home. Enjoy your Thursday!

December 12 2018.jpg

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Well done Terry!

Nice cover, I will add that to the playlist for the gym.

I had not heard this one before. Way to go man in black.

4. brit

brit in a box

nice set up neal, cool brush..the more i use synthetic brushes the more i love em , easy lather builders...

Screwtape, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I resisted synthetics for quite awhile. It wasn't until I won a raffle and chose the Jayaruh #46 which had a synthetic Maggard knot that I tried one. And, yes, I was pretty much instantly hooked. They are the easiest to work with, latherwise, and of course for those who are trying to avoid any animal products they're essential. I'm not that guy, but I do appreciate how well they work. All of my best brushes are synthetic except for my Wolf Whiskers. It's a Silvertip badger and I really enjoy it as well. I just added another badger to my collection. The 24mm finest badger from Stirling. It arrived last week along with a tub of Black Ice soap. The brush is currently loaded with Arko and taking a 24 hour soak in it before using it tomorrow night. It's also a fan knot, like the SynBad, and they are my only fan brushes.

Stirling Finest and Black Ice.jpg

6. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i like that stirling brush. i have 4 badgers, 2 simpson best badger. they are small and dense, travel size , but pack a wallop.a maggard 2 band in my jayaruh #282 brush and a newly purchased razorock barrel 24 finest badger. ate all my lather on its first run. very dense.i have a few semogue and omega boars which i like for hard soaps , and a few synthetics including a timber wolf synth in an eveready 150 handle,an ap shave tuxedo,rr plissoft, and rr silvertip synthetic.they lather awesome..a synth brush and a good cream,= fantastic lather..,especially on a work day..i am glad you are enjoying them..

7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome pics Neal!

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

...meanwhile on the Prairie.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@RyX

RyX, Paul76, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Brian!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 13, 2018
    Karve F Plate
    Feather
    Wild West Brushworks with 30mm Tuxedo
    Proraso Cypress & Vetyver
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

Another very early start to the day. I think this will be the norm for the remainder of the year. The big WWB Tuxedo made short work of whipping up a bowl full of lather. Inspired by Bruce @FaceScraper , I pulled out the Karve razor but went with F plate. Sticking with a traditional 3 pass shave followed ended just short of an epic shave. I did not try touching up my lower right neck. Even so, the shave was excellent with no drama. A splash of Fine Fresh Vetiver and I am off to work. I hope everyone has great Thursday.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    brit, Screwtape, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

December 13th
    Razor: Blackland Sabre L2
    Blade: Personna Gem PTFE (3)
    Brush: Switchback/TGN Grade A Silvertip
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: CK Aqua DG
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: CK Aqua DG

Good morning!

A great shave to start the day. Three passes just missing the baby. A slight tickle from the alum on my neck. Yesterday's shave felt pretty smooth and today even smoother. I don't know if it's the blade or me or a combination of the two getting better.

I used the the TGN Finest yesterday and the Grade A Silvertip today, both excellent knots. The Finest has more backbone and the Silvertip has softer tips. Either one is an excellent choice.

Have a great day! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, Screwtape, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beautiful picture, Clint!

14. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Great setup and report, Neal! :happy088:

NCoxSTL, Linuxguile, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    tp

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD December 13, 2018

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: GEM PTFE
    Razor: GEM Pushbutton
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

Sort of a strange shave. The blade almost felt like a dud. First use of this blade and sometimes the first use of the GEM blades aren't that smooth. This was smooth but the whisker reduction was spotty and not near as efficient as it should be. I went with two passes and stopped. Not as clean as my normal shaves, but that's okay. Maybe I'll just bin the blade and start over. Wonderful lather and scent from the Sharp Dressed Man software as expected.

Just going in for a half day at school today so I can catch Wilson's Christmas program at his school. He goes to a mother's day out program twice a week and they put on a little performance each year before the break. Plus, today is my wife's birthday. She and Wilson have birthdays in the same week. It'll be a fun day!

SOTD 12-13-18.JPG

brit, Screwtape, Keithmax and 13 others like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Beautiful photo, Clint!

Nice shot, Jim! I assume that Aqua DG is a dupe of Acqua Di Gio by Armani? I have yet to try any PAA products his their labels and artwork are quite creative.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Too bad about the blade but great picture! Sounds like a fun day ahead! Happy birthday to the Mrs.!

RyX, Linuxguile, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  19. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Incredible photo, Clint!! :smiley respect:
    "F" plate? You went for the gusto this morning - and pulled it off. That is an awesome looking brush, too.
    Good luck with the commute today!

Screwtape, RyX, NCoxSTL and 5 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Perry!
    Yes it's an ADG dupe and as far as PAA goes this one is pretty subtle compared to most of his offerings.

Linuxguile, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.