Derby Blades have numbers, why?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by lferg, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

I noticed that my Derby blades have numbers on each side. one side is 1 and 2 and the flip side is 3 and 4. Is this so you can flip the blades and is that a good thing to do or what?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think the general consensus is that it is for quality control, if there was a problem with an edge, they could easily find where in the process it occured. For a while I marked them with a sharpie to help me keep track of how many uses on a blade, but I started just using a blade until it started pulling rather than a certain number.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

I always thought it was use 1 - 2, flip then side 3 - 4 but I never really cared. ;)

Just shave baby!

4. kicker245

kicker245 New Member

+1, I think that is the definitive answer

5. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

It's not necessary to "flip" the blade. Who knows why the manufacture decided to place numbers on the blade. Doesn't really matter. As cheap as blades are, when you start obtaining nicks and cuts (provided you are an experienced shaver and have your technique down) or the blade starts dragging across your face (dull) and you get red irritated skin, change it.

After all the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave...:D

v/r

Oscar...

6. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Man...don't listen to these guys. Low numbers always go UP on the Derby blades. Otherwise bad juju gona get you.

Unless it is Tuesday, and you just had a rousing game of Fizzben. Then the numbers up would be 3 and 4.

New guys...sheesh.

7. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Okay, I was kidding about Fizzben, who plays that early anyway?

Keep the low numbers up-ALWAYS

8. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

A Derby representative has said in the past the the numbers are there for quality control. They use them to check the calibrations on the sharpening systems in the factory.

I find it most interesting that the common assumption about the numbers is for blade flipping.

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Actually, I think it is just to cause confusion and consternation among geeks who obsess about the way in which they remove hair from their body. Those Turks, they just love screwing with us!:D

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I figured it was just so shave addicts had something else to talk about...

Fuzzy

11. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

The numbers are actually there as part of a huge blade conspiracy.

You will all find out in time...

12. species8472

species8472 New Member

I never play Fizzben at night! Cause that way whenever I get a King, I get another card! Whereas if you play at night (or when its dark rather), you have to give the card back.

13. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yep

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Although I am sure that it only a quality control purpose, when I do strop blades, the 1-2-3-4, help me keep track of which edges have been stropped (do them in order). However, I don't usually do this and Rolls hasn't convinced me that it really is of value with modern blades.

15. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

Hah, I am so glad I found this thread... I was wondering this exact thing yesterday!

16. cogito

cogito New Member

Same here, I was just looking at those numbers this monring.

17. Captain

Captain New Member

Very interesting observation. Hmmm something to look into

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The numbers are part of quality control. In a factory with sharp objects, fingers are occasionally lost and production must stop to clean out the equipment. The numbers 1 to 4 are to remind the works to frequently count fingers. Since the Turkish people don't concider the thumb a finger, the blades don't have a number 5.