Diamond paste

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by emmijack, Aug 21, 2013.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I was thinking about making a balsa paddle strop loaded with cromium oxide paste on one side and diamond paste on the other, does anybody have any advice as to which grade of diamond paste to use for this,
    thanks in advance.
    Ian.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just some thoughts

Balsa was always designed as a cheap test bed, not as actual strop it has a tendency toward leaving a harsher edge then all the other mediums..

As a Test bed I would start at the .50 Diamond Paste remember there are Diamond sprays that are designed more to be used on felt strops..

It is of course your razor and your face so YMMV but this is what I have observed over the years

3. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice Glen, have just sourced some 6mm felt from a local supplier!!!!¬

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I use a diamond compound mixed with a oil on a leather strop. I'm pretty frugal with it's application maybe 2 or 3 times a year very lightly on the strop. My normal routine is about 40/50 on the diamond leather , 40/50 on chromium oxide on fabric, 40/50 on clean fabric and 40/50 on clean leather. Sometimes a lot less, 20 laps. It brings an edge back nicely for me. Your face will tell you what's up in a hurry.