Did Derby change something?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by micah1_8, Nov 13, 2009.

1. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

After finishing up our 1 year supply of Derby blades, we ordered a new 100 pack.

Right off the bat, I noticed the packaging was a little different with an added slot for storing my used blades(A much needed feature, though it doesn't have any tension to keep the used blades in... a slight design flaw, but better than having to open the little door.)

Anyway, I've noticed that the shaves seem to be mediocre with almost every one of the blades I've taken out of this pack.

At first, I thought it was all in my head, but after opening my third pack of these blades, I'm starting to think it's all on my face.

Anybody else having similar issues?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Hmmm....no replies yet? Your new avatar must be freaking everyone out. :D

Did you get the new blades from the same vendor as the old blades?

3. micah1_8

I have absolutely no idea. My wife ordered them. Somehow, I don't think they were the same vendor.

4. Queen of Blades

Maybe yours are counterfeit.

5. micah1_8

If that's the case, they've gone to great effort, because everything about the packaging looks authentic.

6. Queen of Blades

Go to Office Depot/ Office Max and buy the marker that checks for counterfeitness. :D

:happy097 counterfeitness.

Disclaimer: the above is a joke. The marker is for checking money, not blades.

7. micah1_8

At registers in Hobby Lobby, they have a little uv light that they pass money under to determine if it's fake or not.

8. Queen of Blades

Bah! Markers are cheaper. And more fun.

Edit; Just saw the hidden message. and in reply; :rofl

9. micah1_8

Yeah, they don't call me the master of steganography for nothing!

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I have a new stash since a week now, but haven't tried them yet.....

The dispencers are different, but the blades don't appear to be

Will try them and let you know ASAP :D

11. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Yes, let us know. I like Derby's, but I'm pondering a change for awhile just to try something different (and, you know, that old AD thing). If Derby quality has changed for the worse, then I have an even better excuse to try more/other blades!

12. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

I'm supposed to be getting a hundred new packs of Derby's in soon... maybe we can compare notes.

13. TheBigL

TheBigL New Member

While I have not tried any Derbys yet, I did acquire a few boxes from different sources. I noticed the card in the front is printed horizontally on one package and vertically on another. I will look at the blade disposal on them later.

14. micah1_8

That's the difference between last year's and this year's packs for me.

15. Danover321

Danover321 New Member

I bought a 100 pack in August and noticed that not every blade shaves consistent. My package has Turkish writing all over it with the Made in Turkey statement. I know Derby blades are made in Turkey, but I'm starting to wonder about the quality control of my batch.

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

My pack has the same markings and the same text. Sounds like the same stash....

Will try my first blade tomorrow and will use it until it dulls out :D

Keep you posted!

17. Zachster

Zachster Member

I bought a new 100-pack a few months ago and have noticed the same thing -- they just don't seem as good as the first pack, and some have been downright unusable. My second pack also has the revised blade safes. I thought maybe I just got a bad batch, but now it appears maybe not. I was using Derby blades daily for well over a year, but now don't feel like I can, and have been trying different substitutes.

18. techni

techni New Member

When i began de shaving a few years ago these were my blades of chioce, 2nd time around i had thesae in a sample pack and having just used them they are not as good as the ones from 3 years ago, i get poor shaves, irritation and they are blunt after 2 shaves,

19. micah1_8

Something that I've found has helped me, is that I've cut down to single pass shaves and I'm skipping about every 3rd shave... seems to help, and I'm still getting a better shave than I ever did with a cartridge razor.

20. RnR

RnR Member

I get the impression that they've gotten - I dunno, fragile maybe? My Ming Shi is even giving me a rough ride with them in play.

Not sure I'm going to enjoy the 200 or so I've still got on hand. :(