Different methods of keeping track of # of shaves on a blade!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ron R, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I had to come up with a new method of keeping track of # of shaves per blade(I started traditional shaving this way and I'm must be programmed:p to keep doing this). I was using the gaming dice when I was just using DE blades. Then I have a weekly shave with my E2 schick injector and trying to keep track of blade usage and then I progressed to Gem razors and really enjoy their system and was keeping track with dice. The problem was cleaning the cabinet and bumping the dice or forgetting to move the dice or finding where they disappeared in the clutter.

RyX, Frijolero, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This is my new method, took some clear packing tape and layed some on the edge of the door (2 inch wide) and then took some milk jug caps that have a knurl and are raised enough to grip them and then # the cap and screwed a small wood screw in the center to the cupboard door and now I have a way of tracking them. The plastic cap stays in place because its under some load from the screw and I'm happy now keeping track. Not a perfect system but manageable in my shaving world.:eatdrink013:
    counting shaves (2).jpg

RyX, AGHisBBS, Hodge and 8 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Keeping track of the number of shaves on a blade has never been a problem for me. I have instant recall. What was the question, again? :happy097:

RyX, AGHisBBS, Hodge and 5 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I really don't use any system for keeping track of uses, sometimes I remember how many shaves. But when shaving and the blade doesn't feel right, I toss it and replace the razor with a new blade.

5. brit

brit in a box

i did the friday method. its friday ,time for a new blade..

RyX, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I used to use a DE blade until it showed signs of dragging...binned.

RyX, CrustyCat, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is a good system for DE but I'm using 3 different shaving systems and comparing and changing a different system almost every other day it seems( I really like variety, I'm spoiled). I like the SE of lately, but still use my DE and enjoy certain razors and my old methods needed a upgrade IMO.

RyX, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, you have seen it all! :bounce015:

I think the term you wanted there, Charlie, was instant memory lapse, not recall. :innocent

Similar system. It's post-Sat. shave for me.

brit, Hodge, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I use a little flip-top memo book. I write down each razor at the top of the page and then when I put a new blade in it. Then I record the date of the shaves for each razor. I have almost two razors with all kinds of injector blades, so I needed some kind of system.

The little books look like these:
    [​IMG]

Got a 3-pack for $1 at Dollar Tree.

RyX, jimjo1031, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I shave with one blade until it's finished. For me, that's 3 shaves in a DE, 2 shaves on a half DE blade in a shavette, 7 shaves on a Feather Artist Club blade, or 4 shaves on a Trac II cart. I post most of my shaves on TSD. If I lose track, I can always check my prior post.

My blades could go longer, for sure, but they are cheap and I have plenty.

RyX, jimjo1031, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I’ve been known to move a blade from one razor to another. Since I usually change the blade on Sunday night after anywhere from 3 to 6 shaves I don’t have to remember or count. This works for me but everyone is different.

RyX, wristwatchb, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a two razor method for my shaves and I no longer try to keep any kind of count. I usually just use a blade until it doesn't cut well/smooth any longer and then change it. Doesn't matter if does one shave or many before I change it out. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    RyX, jimjo1031, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I change my blade after three shaves. I shave every other day starting on Sunday.

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I purchased several hundred blades and now use the “when in doubt, change it out method....:D

15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Blades don't go from sharp to unusable in an instant. I generally know at the end of a shave if the blade has another shave left in it.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

17. brit

brit in a box

i rarely use the same razor twice in 1 week as well,new blade every friday..unless it fails earlier..then its by its performance..it usually works out..

RyX, jimjo1031, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is the train I ride.

RyX, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

:signs011:Same here.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Wow someone agreed with me!!

RyX, Frijolero, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.