Dime Saftey Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Drygulch, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Wow, and I say this as respectfully as I can: that looks like a piece of junk. Did people really shave with these things?

Dave in KY and Terry like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I do....
    Its a great shaver.
    tp

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Hence retailing for a dime. lol

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thanks for the tips Terry. :happy088: I've read that the Gem was too wide so this is encouraging. I will have a Dime blade to compare when it arrives.

Ron R and Terry like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

That's true if you don't remove the spine.
    July 20, 2021.
    20210711_092044.jpg
    The last time I used it I did an honorary cheap shave to promote "technique trumps tools".
    But its a really good shave.
    One of my favorite razors.
    tp

6. Dave in KY

Awesome to know and what I was counting on. I've read all the threads and comments about it and had this on my radar for awhile. Everything from the "junk" comments to "scariest SE razor" to those that have actually used it and said it's a "great and amazing shaver". I'll stick with the comments of those that have used it over commenting on appearances. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cheers Terry :eatdrink047:

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is and that is it's appeal. If you looked up utalitarian for safety razors this one would be fighting for top billing. I have one and will say it shaves really well but it has some serious blade feel. Fortunately the design is such that blade feel or not it doesn't want to cut weepers into the skin. If you ever needed to shave a wookie or hipster with a razor that won't clog no matter how long the hair is this one will get the job done.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can use the razor without despining a gem blade also. The irony is these razors do not come cheap these days compared to other vintage SE razors.

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I don't get the blade feel so much, I ride the cap so to speak and use a small angle.
    Thats why I like it, it let's me set an angle for comfort.

tp

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

That one was a dime. This one was a nickel... :D

Screenshot_20210823-102649_resize_69.jpg

Screenshot_20210823-102723_resize_82.jpg

Screenshot_20210823-102755_resize_60.jpg

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

13. IAmTheJody

I don't own it. Just remembered there was a 100% wood razor and thought I'd share.

14. Dave in KY

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well....
    Gonna have to find one for me i see
    If the price is right..

tp

Frijolero likes this.
  16. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

There's one on the bay now. Little pricey for a completely non usable razor. The blade was not changeable.. It appears to be marketed as 1 of the first disposable razors.... Looks like the design could be copyable and made to 3d print with slight mod to have replaceable blades..

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

19. Dave in KY

So It came in. A Gem with the spine is to fat at the spine for it to be held in place. If you remove the spine, it is too short to reach the clip on the back. I now see Terry has bent the front corners back to hold it and the front guard isn't straight on his. I'm not willing to alter the razor like that. I will need to do some more experimenting with options as it's been a long day and I'm done for now.........disappointed to say the least....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Terry and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Mine almost doesn't fit with the spine but it does lock it in. Also works fine with the original blade that came with it even after putting a Gem blade in it. Use a Feather FHS blade if you have one instead. They are a little longer than a Gem blade when you take a spine off them but shouldn't be as long as one with the spine on if you don't want to try to bend in the back tab out to get it to fit.

Dave in KY likes this.