Disposable razor discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 6, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

The ones I like most are Gillette good news and Schick exacta II. On my beard, these blades are sharp enough to give 4-5 smooth shaves :) .

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What shall I buy for my trial? Please advise, and set me up to succeed.

3. engrsaks

Well, Mr. Chris, I don't think I am an expert in this matter. But, since you seem to be a SE enthusiast, you might want to start with BIC metal. I have never been able to try it (not available in my market and importing is expensive) but I have read great remarks about it on various shaving forums. Users claim it is better than BIC 1 (the one I use). Give it a try, and please upload your review on it (w/ a SOTD picture please ;) )

Edit: These razors are easily found on ebay USA and can be purchased at a decent price.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Those can be had pretty inexpensively at $8.40 shipped for 10 on eBay right now.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. engrsaks

If that was possible, I would have been importing so much stuff :( . Unfortunately, Pakistan is unsupported by most of the sellers and Paypal service isn't available here. I have to use an external importing service (who charge me as well) to get something. Importing products this way not only is a pain in the neck but also a little too much to pay for.

Edit : Oh wait, maybe you wanted to add something to my comment rather than suggesting me to import these as well. In that case, I apologize for misunderstanding your comment.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I was adding to your post but its alright. I have run into some things that I wanted that just took too much to ship so I understand.

Bama Samurai and engrsaks like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Personna makes some enjoyable disposables. They work fine for me, anyway. I recall trying the white and yellow Bic single blade and vaguely recall getting unsatisfactory results. Haven't tried one since.

pvtbanks, Bama Samurai and engrsaks like this.
  8. engrsaks

Today's SOTD had both cartridge and disposable razor :)

Gillette Sensor Excel (on one side of my face) and Blue 3 aka Sensor 3 (on other side)
    Gillette series liquid gel (can be bowl lathered with shaving brush)
    Omega syntex
    Gillette Cool wave AS lotion
    Lacoste Original Perfume

Detailed comparison between these two cartridges can be read here :)

DSC_0810.JPG

Leo K. and Darkbulb like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know you're not trolling because this is the perennial question, imo.

In a practiced hand, there is almost no such thing as a bad razor. Technique IS king.

engrsaks likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Also @engrsaks

I have acquired the test razor. Will photograph and post results within 120 minutes. :)

BamaT and engrsaks like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Engrsaks/Bama Samurai Technique Challenge

Great Western™ Sensitive Skin (Single Blade Disposable Razor)

image.jpeg
    I acquired these razors today at a local pharmacy in Kailua, HI, USA. The pack of twelve carried a shelf price of US$3.69 before sales tax of 5%, so let's call it $4 for twelve razors. It is obviously a knockoff of the famous Bic Sensitive. I will attempt to go Near BBS on two passes plus touch up.

image.jpeg

Great Western Sensitive Skin Disposable Razor
    La Toja Shave Stick
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    Pinaud Clubman AS Lotion
    I made to sure today that the lather and the skin prep were flawless and set right into shaving. I found the first pass WTG to be extremely mild, could not feel a blade at all, but experienced good reduction in the stubble. So far, so good. Pass two was XTG and incorporated the exact same skin stretching techniques that I use with a Schick injector. After two comfortable passes, and a bit of ATG touch up on the mustache, chin and jaw, I was near BBS. I actually found the shave to be adequate. My only real complaint is that the razor was way too mild, and I felt like I had to work a bit harder and shave more precisely than normal. Now, surprisingly, the Alum was a bit fiery, but there is no visible irritation and it calmed down pretty fast. The blade was indeed sharp enough to get the job finished, and was actually smooth enough not to draw my attention. Splashed on the Clubman and called it good!

Techniques trump tools.

Have a fantastic Friday!
    :)

Jayaruh, BamaT, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks this was really interesting to see as you're normally not a disposable-razor-user.

engrsaks and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

My pleasure! It worked out pretty well. :)

15. engrsaks

A very nice writeup, @Bama Samurai. Initially, when I saw the pictures only, I was worried to some extent that these might not deliver a good shave, but I was wrong and your shave went well . I started appreciating disposable razors when a couple of times I found myself stuck in a situation and wished, "If only I had a couple of disposable razors". :) . Once again I will say, I am not fan of these razors, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate their availability in the market either.​

Cheers!

Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  16. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

Funny...

...it was an out of nowhere question relating to disposables that prompted me to search for a better safety razor.

My wife of 24 years died 2 years ago and I started dating again. Prior to that I didn't care two whits about shaving. I'd grab a BIC disposable...the big yellow ones...slap some shaving goo on my face and scrape my whiskers off. Well, most of 'em, at least. On rare occasions I'd inspect the results and discover I hadn't shaved as closely as I would have liked, but...who cares?

Now I'm dating and my girl has sensitive skin. So I'm spending a little more time to scrape my face. Did what I thought was an impressively good job one day, drove 2 hours to meet her and the very FIRST thing she says was

"You missed a spot."

Annoyed me to no end. I began experimenting with DE razors since I remembered using one in Navy boot camp in '75. Picked one up at a beauty store for a little over $10. It was ok, but I always wound up finishing my shave with the BIC disposable. It just seemed to provide a closer shave.

One morning I began to think about why the cheap disposable provided a closer shave than the safety razor. Close examination revealed there was a blade gap on the disposable and hardly any blade gap on the safety razor. (!!!) The next logical question at that point was:

"I wonder if there's such a thing as an adjustable safety razor?"

Google advised me there were indeed quite a few adjustable razors. In fact, I was astonished to learn there existed a fully established shaving culture!

I quickly decided upon the Mekur FUTUR; a vast improvement on my cheap beauty store razor. Wasn't long afterward that I ditched the foaming goo in cans for the shaving brush, soaps and creams.

17. engrsaks

Nice story. But, I don't think a razor should be blamed for missing a spot but the hand that carries it. :) . Merkur futur is a nice razor and if it is giving you good shaves, you don't need to look anywhere else. :)

Bama Samurai and SABOTEURw like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:signs011:

Bama Samurai and engrsaks like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Sounds like destiny to me....ain't Destiny Grand?

Bama Samurai and SABOTEURw like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Once I read that, I remembered that's exactly why I never tried a 2nd BIC disposable.

Yep, almost every time.

Bama Samurai, Drygulch and engrsaks like this.