Disposable razor discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 6, 2015.

1. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

You're right, of course. But it wasn't so much about blaming the razor as much as it was my inability to recognize I didn't know how to shave.

("You don't know what you don't know.")

A few acquaintances like to acknowledge I'm a "good chess player". I'm actually a mediocre chess player, but I LIKE playing chess enough to understand and learn a few basics that enable me to win more games.

Shaving is no different. I didn't CARE enough about shaving to even THINK about getting a good shave. It's only now that I've discovered how taking the time to learn a few basics about shaving can improve how I look and feel.

So yes, I probably CAN get a VERY good shave from a disposable now, but why bother driving a Pinto when I can drive a Ferrari?

(Especially since I've already purchased the Ferrari?)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

Grand, considering I might have just as easily returned to using a disposable once I figured out why the disposable actually offered a closer shave. Opting to find a better safety razor introduced me to wet shaving, which introduced me to the benefits of properly caring for my face.

Bama Samurai, Bird Lives and engrsaks like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thats what I mean.....Your girl friend saying "You missed a spot" started a ball rolling that now has improved your quality of life in many different ways....I'm sure, the drudgery of dragging a razor around your face has changed....Probably....let me guess....I'm thinkng you probably look forward to your "me time" while shaving and pampering yourself with great soaps, brushes aswell as razor and blades...The end result spoils your girl friend and whoever else you hang with, with your cleanshaven fresh smelling results....Most of the cats that make the scene around here, look great, are clean shaven and smell great...it just kind of goes with the territory...It's a win win situation..

SABOTEURw and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I got those particular razors because they were all that I could find that day without taking a taxi ride. It was an interesting trial, and I will try a different brand soon.

engrsaks likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sincerely, it was a decent shave, just too hard.

gorgo2 and engrsaks like this.
  6. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

The best use I get from a disposable these days is "clean up" for Final Inspection.

When I become interested in something I usually like doing it the best I can. In the beginning stages of learning the correct way to wet shave I tortured my face trying to achieve a BBS. I surrendered that quest once I began placing emphasis where it truly belonged...applying no pressure.

So while I no longer approach shaving using ETCHED IN STONE categories like BBS, leaving the bathroom with hair on my face is STILL not an option. So I guess the only real difference between then and now is I'm not as obsessed about "the perfect shave".

I think.

Anyway, after I've shave, cleaned and stored my shaving gear...showered, moisturized, dried off and brushed my hair, I hold the "Final Inspection". Final inspection is running my hand over my freshly shaven face for any detectable whiskers. For whatever reason, these random rebellious hairs prove RESISTANT to multiple passes with my DE.

They DO NOT escape undetected.

When detected, I reach into my shave kit and retrieve my trusty BIC disposable. I may even splash a bit of water or rub a bit of post shaving balm on my face, but it is not required. I take that BIC and REMOVE any remaining loitering hairs that had the au-DACITY to linger after their brethren died honorably minutes before.

Slap on a bit of balm again, and my day begins...!

Darkbulb, engrsaks and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got this Supermax SII last year so I would have a handle if I wanted to use Trac II blades. It is a Trac II clone made in India. It does a good job. I use it to shave my pits.

[​IMG]

Darkbulb and engrsaks like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Don't know why but I'm loving these SOTD photos with disposable razors. Great shot.

Jayaruh and engrsaks like this.
  9. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Today I had the quickest shave of my life with Gillette good news. I was hard pressed for time and needed a shave without any need for lather prep and razor maintenance. I picked up the Gillette good news, prepped my face with warm water for two minutes, slapped on some face wash for transparent slippery lather and did a one pass quick shave. The whole shaving process took 5 minutes only and there was no need for touch-ups because I could see through the lather. It wasn't exactly a luxury shave, but indeed, it was a great one as always. :)

Leo K. likes this.
  10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

That is a great SOTD - a cool set-up there.

Jayaruh and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Anyone use the Gillette Fusion Disposables? I'm probably going to grab a pack at some point for my collection. Also need to grab a Mach3 disposable pack.

engrsaks likes this.
  12. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Good News disposable too, and still have some left from my move cross country last year. Aces!

engrsaks likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Fusions disposables aren't sold in the UK. Mach 3 disposables are great, the Sensor 3 are good too! I should try the Blue 3 disposable next...

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  14. engrsaks

The Polish Blue 3 disposable performed very nicely on my face. :) . I'm sure you will like it.

15. engrsaks

Shaved with Schick exacta 2 (blue) once again. A great shave as always :) . I also tried shaving with dull Blue-3 disposable. The best quality in blue-3 is, unlike other cartridge/disposable razors, it starts missing rather than tugging the hair.

Leo K. likes this.
  16. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

I use Gillette Good News razors and get 15 three-pass shaves from each. They are less expensive than cartridges.

engrsaks and Darkbulb like this.